Orca is no longer

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Piston_Pounder
Rank 0
Rank 0

Orca is no longer

Post by Piston_Pounder »

Grapevines tell me that Integra bought up Orca and took over the Dynamex contract they had. Almost all of Orca's fleet is up for sale on controller dot com. Just in time too. Orca was on a fast track to being responsible for multiple people's demise.
---------- ADS -----------

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Orca is no longer

Post by Black_Tusk »

I was told they are on 30 day notice from Transport Canada. And also that all their planes are for sale.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Good.

Crap operator. Pilots will land on their feet in a hurry, getting out of there is a favour.

Stratus_Slayer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Stratus_Slayer »

Bought by Integra Air. No word yet if pilots are out a job

privateer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by privateer »

Just another BC Lower Mainland operator who tried to use the "but its Vancouver" line to help run the business. I knew 2 guys killed by their predecessor. Hopefully an Alberta company will straighten things up out there.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

I wonder if the Tofino screwup had something to do with this. I was talking to one of the other operators and they said it was normal for them to do contact approaches there. (Not sure if they were talking about Orca, or themselves as well). On the day in question the weather was way below minimums for the LNAV with low cloud and fog, so I'm not sure how a legal contact approach is going to help.

privateer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by privateer »

I say PASCO or WJ link grow a pair and start service to Tofino, using a real airplane for the job instead of some operator using a clapped out Hoe or single engine Caravan..

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

privateer wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:22 pm I say PASCO or WJ link grow a pair and start service to Tofino, using a real airplane for the job instead of some operator using a clapped out Hoe or single engine Caravan..
They'd just need to get an LPV approach set up so they can reliably get in there.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

CpnCrunch wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:33 pm On the day in question the weather was way below minimums for the LNAV with low cloud and fog, so I'm not sure how a legal contact approach is going to help.
It will help if the weather is directly over the airport with it wide open over the ocean. Not saying that’s what happened here, but it’s quite common at airports near a body of water where the field will be covered

A couple of times, a traditional approach has put me right in the soup on track at minimums, while a contact would have got me easily and safely down by going around everything.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Zaibatsu wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:40 pm
CpnCrunch wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:33 pm On the day in question the weather was way below minimums for the LNAV with low cloud and fog, so I'm not sure how a legal contact approach is going to help.
It will help if the weather is directly over the airport with it wide open over the ocean. Not saying that’s what happened here, but it’s quite common at airports near a body of water where the field will be covered

A couple of times, a traditional approach has put me right in the soup on track at minimums, while a contact would have got me easily and safely down by going around everything.
The runway overrun incident happened in 400ft overcast in 3/4SM, so not legal for contact approach anyway. Circling isn't really going to work either. I can't really think of any reasonable method of landing there in those conditions, but the incident makes a lot more sense if they were trying to do some kind of contact approach.

yycinformer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by yycinformer »

Piston_Pounder wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:13 pm Almost all of Orca's fleet is up for sale on controller dot com.
Hmmm...not seeing them

Its What I do
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Its What I do »

aircraft canada Lorne had them on the controller this am , now they are gone . High time HOs...........cheap im sure .
my guess King air will stay on with new owner and the 99s who knows ...........

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

CpnCrunch wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:53 pm
The runway overrun incident happened in 400ft overcast in 3/4SM, so not legal for contact approach anyway. Circling isn't really going to work either. I can't really think of any reasonable method of landing there in those conditions, but the incident makes a lot more sense if they were trying to do some kind of contact approach.
No, that’s not kosher. Probably dipped below minimums or tried to get visual references looking down instead of ahead. They would have been approach banned if there was reported visibility.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Zaibatsu wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:40 pm

Same

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Samesies!

I typed up a big response to cpncrunch.. but it would have looked like I was picking on him. So i nixed it.

There are some local weather phenomenon in YAZ depending on the winds that would put you going missed on the RNAV 29 if you didn't use the contact. It also puts you close to 500ft over the button of the runway. Both operators use the contact all the time. The RVAN for 11 is almost useless. I'd be curious to see what its like with the runway lighting now (haven't been in there in three years). An LPV would be awesome too.

I was there shortly after that so called excursion and there was some significant standing water near the taxiway and elsewhere . I don't remember seeing any tire tracks in the grass.

I won't discredit anyone, but me thinks the pax that complained just wanted some $ or notoriety. Theres a lot of dislike for Orca on the coast too, so they were always under the magnifying glass..

As for YAZ, why aren't we running a dash in there daily?!?!? Connect all the europeans directly.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Rowdy wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:16 am Both operators use the contact all the time.
In that case, perhaps it had nothing to do with that incident. As pointed out, they couldn't have legally done a contact approach on that day anyway. Without any TSB report or updated CADOR all we can do is speculate.

Piston_Pounder
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Piston_Pounder »

privateer wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:22 pm I say PASCO or WJ link grow a pair and start service to Tofino, using a real airplane for the job instead of some operator using a clapped out Hoe or single engine Caravan..
More grapevines tell me that PASCO is in fact starting a scheduled run to Tofino.

ragequit
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ragequit »

Last edited by ragequit on Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Crunch wrote

all we can do is speculate.

There is another option..

Speculation....coming to a conclusion before one knows the facts....

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

trey kule wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:46 pm
all we can do is speculate.

There is another option..
The other option is to throw up our hands and say accidents just happen and there's nothing we can do about them.

Return to “General Comments”