What is your highest level of education?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

What is your highest level of education?

High school/GED
19%
1-3 year diploma, aviation
29%
1-3 year diploma, non-aviation
7%
4 year bachelor's degree, aviation
4%
4 year bachelor's degree, non-aviation
24%
Graduate degree (Master's or PhD)
17%

Total votes: 163

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: What is your highest level of education?

Post by AuxBatOn »

I have a graduate degree and lead what I would consider a very successful aviation career. I wouldn't be doing the job I am doing without my Undergraduate degree (Mechanical Engineering)

As far as what a degree brings, I find it is mostly intangible but my degree developped a sense of curiosity. I don't accept only knowing things; I want to understand things in a precise and exact way. I find this helped me in aviation. Not saying you can't have that without a degree but more people with a degree tend to have this trait than people without.
---------- ADS -----------

Going for the deck at corner
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

C.W.E. wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:39 pm Rookiepilot do you have an opinion on why airlines such as Air Canada prefer applicants to have a degree in something?
I don't know, as everyone knows I'm not in the industry. I finished one year of college, straight A's, came easy to me, had to drop out cause I like eating . A small part of me would have liked to gone to Harvard or somewhere, think would have smoked it there, but no money. Oh well.

I imagine it's a simple, useless screening tool that proves one can read, write and listen to a boring lecture. Early in my business career I was struggling, and thought I should apply at a big bank to work on their desk. Although I'd already made decent coin on my own, that made no difference. Their only question was "do you have a degree". I said no, and politely told them to get stuffed. Best career decision I've ever made.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

AuxBatOn wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:43 pm
As far as what a degree brings, I find it is mostly intangible but my degree developped a sense of curiosity. I don't accept only knowing things; I want to understand things in a precise and exact way.
I have always had that trait, without a degree. One chooses to approach life as a student or not. Most, after college, quit learning. Never read books. I'm an incessant reader. A degree shouldn't make a difference, but for those with $$$ and support to get one, God bless you.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

rookiepilot wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:50 pm
AuxBatOn wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:43 pm
As far as what a degree brings, I find it is mostly intangible but my degree developped a sense of curiosity. I don't accept only knowing things; I want to understand things in a precise and exact way.
I have always had that trait, without a degree. One chooses to approach life as a student or not. Most, after college, quit learning. Never read books. I'm an incessant reader. A degree shouldn't make a difference, but for those with $$$ and support to get one, God bless you.
I do agree with you but sometimes it's simply not possible. I was out on my own at 18. Maybe should have gone military? Would have been the only way back then

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Because of the marketing for kids to dump themselves into debt for a degree with next to no ROI

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

Got kicked out of high school two weeks before graduation for drinking a couple of brewskis for lunch at a high school track meet.

Military said "You got one of the attributes needed to become a fighter pilot! COME ON DOWN!"

And I did.

(;>0)

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

SuperchargedRS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:44 pm Because of the marketing for kids to dump themselves into debt for a degree with next to no ROI
Exactly. People should spend some time in America. Preferably out west. Different mentality.

It's the debt now that is toxic, and I think these days for very questionable quality.

If I had went to school and accumulated a massive debt, there is no way I would have been able to start my business. Just saying....everyone is different of course.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

Bachelors with professional designation in another industry and management experience in a corporate environment (non-aviation related), and an aviation diploma.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

3 year aviation college diploma (paid by the government). Honestly, it does not make me a better pilot, it only shows that I can learn..........

The value of such a diploma is debatable, since it is no guarantee of success, maybe it gives you a couple of extra brownie points but that is it.

Figured I would go to university part time while working as a level 3 pilot, but it quickly became apparent that it would be impossible to hold down a level 3 job and attend classes at the same time. For some strange reason, employers tend to book you for work at the most inconvient times :lol:

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

It's this that happens repeatedly here that pisses me off.

Do you know what these losers are paid? And I don't use that term very often. But this overpaid group of entitled losers is.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3984160/char ... ge-strike/

CdnPilotsalary
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CdnPilotsalary »

Again, for curiosities sake: for those of you who did a non-aviation degree, what career did you come from? How old were you when you switched? Are you happy with your choice?

Tips Up
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tips Up »

Switched? Why not have a non aviation degree/career and an aviation job as well..... Or, be on this forum and not part of the WJ/AC/Swoop/Westwind/Perimeter/Jazz/alpa etc etc group hug discussions and instead on here to pick up information/tips/updates on flying a plane....

BeaverDreamer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BeaverDreamer »

CdnPilotsalary wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:20 am Again, for curiosities sake: for those of you who did a non-aviation degree, what career did you come from? How old were you when you switched? Are you happy with your choice?
Geology. I was 24 when I went 100% into aviation. I like to tell myself I'm happy with the choice :rolleyes:

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

rookiepilot wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:27 pm It's this that happens repeatedly here that pisses me off.

Do you know what these losers are paid? And I don't use that term very often. But this overpaid group of entitled losers is.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3984160/char ... ge-strike/
I don't know what they're paid. Can you fill us in?

bring me the horizon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bring me the horizon »

ROTP with the CF's for pilot. Failed training after the 2nd year so they stopped subsidizing my tuition. Worked 2 part-time jobs as well as going to school full time. Dropped out the end of my 3rd year of University because I ran out of money and lost interest. Majored in Philosophy, minor in Astrophysics. Went to a technical college for Aircraft Maintenance. Got my diploma in said discipline. Worked as an apprentice AME while paying my way through flight training. Received both cpl and ame licences in 2013. I've had the luxury of being a well-rounded and marketable employee with full-time employment. Just grossed 6 figures last year.

Although I dropped out of Uni and I don't hold a degree I still use all the attributes I've learned at work everyday; critical thinking and wanting to question more. As Aux said, I want to understand things and post secondary definitely helped me open my mind to such ideas.

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

CdnPilotsalary wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:20 am Again, for curiosities sake: for those of you who did a non-aviation degree, what career did you come from? How old were you when you switched? Are you happy with your choice?

I left aviation in 2009 when I was 24 and pursued a career in supply chain and logistics. In 2014, I started my own consulting business and just got back into flying just recently. Supply chain was a very fulfilling career and I learned a lot. I also return to aviation with a different perspective and more mature. Not to mention it helped establish me financially so I am now able to afford the pay-cut to go flying without jeopardizing my lifestyle. I still consult part-time which brings in a little residual income every month. I have no regrets leaving or returning.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

confusedalot wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:22 pm 3 year aviation college diploma (paid by the government). Honestly, it does not make me a better pilot, it only shows that I can learn..........

And learning how to fly, take a multi thousand pound chunk of metal and hurtle it through the sky, zero viz, read weather, performance calculation, etc that's not considered showing you know how to learn??

I know quite a few people with degrees and I'm surprised they manage to run a load of laundry without killing themself, aviation does weed folks out quite well.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

^
Sure, educated people are capable of incredible feats of stupidity. I’ve flown plenty of university profs and students on research field trips, around the bush. People that were completely devoid of any shred of sensibility or what I would consider life skills. However, just as a formal higher education is not a true indicator of common sense or intelligence, neither is attaining a CPL or ATPL. More frightening to me than some of your university educated launderers are some of the truly confoundingly dense, licensed flight crew members I’ve come across in all fields of aviation from 702/3 to 705.
Let’s face it: an ATPL is a joke these days. It is meant to be a license to command an airliner. However, the education portion of it can be learned, and exams passed, in a weekend. Furthermore, the experience requirements have been all but gutted to the point where now, one virtually requires no command experience at all to gain the license that grants exactly that. It’s an absolute joke and in my personal opinion it debases the profession.
So, I’m sorry, but the argument that an ATPL is some indicator of intelligence or education or experience or ability to learn, is equally as flawed and/or as valid as the argument that a university degree is an indicator of the same.

And I’m sorry, but spelling and grammar are still important (even on the internet) if you want people to take you seriously. A smarter man than I once told me: “Times may change, but standards must remain.”

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Furthermore, the experience requirements have been all but gutted to the point where now, one virtually requires no command experience at all to gain the license that grants exactly that. It’s an absolute joke and in my personal opinion it debases the profession.
So, I’m sorry, but the argument that an ATPL is some indicator of intelligence or education or experience or ability to learn, is equally as flawed and/or as valid as the argument that a university degree is an indicator of the same.
The above is the bottom line concerning the difficulty of getting a ATPL.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

SuperchargedRS wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:07 pm
confusedalot wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:22 pm 3 year aviation college diploma (paid by the government). Honestly, it does not make me a better pilot, it only shows that I can learn..........

And learning how to fly, take a multi thousand pound chunk of metal and hurtle it through the sky, zero viz, read weather, performance calculation, etc that's not considered showing you know how to learn??

I know quite a few people with degrees and I'm surprised they manage to run a load of laundry without killing themself, aviation does weed folks out quite well.
If you read carefully, there is no debate whatsoever about abilities of persons who took different roads. I said it does not make me a better pilot. How much more forthcoming can I be?

Anyways, the training systems tend to block the very very very few who can't cut it, regardless of ''education''

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?

Return to “General Comments”