BC minimum wage to reach $15.20, meaning that BC flight instructors will soon make less than a minimum wage employee

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: BC minimum wage to reach $15.20, meaning that BC flight instructors will soon make less than a minimum wage employee

Post by SuperchargedRS »

I'll agree with you on the video, with gopros it's really improved analysis for post flight briefings
---------- ADS -----------

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: BC minimum wage to reach $15.20, meaning that BC flight instructors will soon make less than a minimum wage employee

Post by C.W.E. »

For sure the video is unbeatable as a teaching tool.

You people are lucky to have the new modern video cameras, the fu..... abortions I used were a pain in the ass to set up but well worth the effort in the long run.

Same with teaching instrument flight.

Two stage amber is a pain in the ass to install and remove but well worth the effort because they could not cheat by looking around a hood and a hood is unorthodox period.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

SuperchargedRS wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:50 pm If you're not giving that much ground you're not doing the flight instructor part right.

Look at aerobatics, airline, military, etc, much more time talking about what you're going to be doing and analyzing what you did than stick time, also it makes the stick time (the expensive part) yield more of a bang for your buck.

If you're not doing much work with your student outside of the airplane, you're short changing your student as well as your wallet. Also you're not really a instructor, just crash preventer who watches the Hobbs tick by for that "great" airline job.
Some are like this. Often While surfing instagram on their phones.

Maybe that's only worth 30 bucks an hour. And maybe some are worth 100 bucks an hour.

As posted below a range of quality.

My unpopular opinion......

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

rookiepilot wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:53 pm
SuperchargedRS wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:50 pm If you're not giving that much ground you're not doing the flight instructor part right.

Look at aerobatics, airline, military, etc, much more time talking about what you're going to be doing and analyzing what you did than stick time, also it makes the stick time (the expensive part) yield more of a bang for your buck.

If you're not doing much work with your student outside of the airplane, you're short changing your student as well as your wallet. Also you're not really a instructor, just crash preventer who watches the Hobbs tick by for that "great" airline job.

Maybe that's only worth 30 bucks an hour. And maybe some are worth 100 bucks an hour.

If your instructor is doing something on his phone not related to your lesson, fire his ass.

Remember he works for you.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

SuperchargedRS wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:57 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:53 pm

If your instructor is doing something on his phone not related to your lesson, fire his ass.

Remember he works for you.
RS, I take it you're not running for Miss Congeniality on AV Can........ :mrgreen:

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Nah, I'm not exactly on of them new age male types, just calling it the way I see it.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

SuperchargedRS wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:14 pm Nah, I'm not exactly on of them new age male types, just calling it the way I see it.
Yeah me too. People will still love us in spite of our lack of liberal arts degrees. :lol:

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

rookiepilot wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:18 pm
SuperchargedRS wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:14 pm Nah, I'm not exactly on of them new age male types, just calling it the way I see it.
Yeah me too. People will still love us in spite of our lack of liberal arts degrees. :lol:

CdnPilotsalary
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CdnPilotsalary »

ant_321 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:04 pm 3 guys in a 2 bedroom apartment, a side job (didn't sleep much during that year) and about $4k in leftover student loan money. Haha. When I got myself a turboprop job making $26k I felt rich.
Wow, tough circumstances. Seems like it paid off. Good on you. All the best.

Return to “General Comments”