US/Canada border crossing and meal planning

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Adiabatic
Rank 3
Rank 3

US/Canada border crossing and meal planning

Post by Adiabatic »

Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone has any tips or helpful information for meal planning for multi-day pairings when crossing borders and going through customs etc. It would be appreciated! I just don’t want to end up throwing stuff out.

I understand there is a list of things you can’t take and whatnot. Just curious for the most part generally what works for someone in these cases.

Thank you!
---------- ADS -----------

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: US/Canada border crossing and meal planning

Post by chipmunk »

I love fruits and veggies so US multi-days can be annoying. I have been known to leave oranges and fresh veggies in the crew room to pick up on a later turn, but that's not always ideal.

Normally I bring very lightly steamed (more like blanched, I guess) veggies.. I'm on a green bean kick these days. That way they are officially "cooked" veggies and can declare them accordingly. Most places I never have issues, except IAD occasionally. Put a tiny bit of water in the container, then reheat, and you get a non-soggy side. I'm also a big fan of stuffed portabello mushrooms these days. Bake ahead of time, and they're good cold or hot. Hard boiled eggs, yogurt, quinoa salads (sometimes if you mix in a bit of fresh veg and call it a casserole or something you can get it thru), roasted veg, cooked chicken... I will buy plain salad greens US-side and add my chicken or whatever to that sometimes too. Canned tuna works to add to a purchased salad in a pinch too. I never can keep track of who allows apples when so I don't even bother... that's what the breakfast bag/buffet is for :)

Brantford Beech Boy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brantford Beech Boy »

Jaysus Christo!

What ever happened to the old Pilot's food groups?
Hamburgers, Donuts, Coffee and cigarettes.

all of which, US CBP is hunky dory with....
BBB :wink:

"Almost anywhere, almost anytime...worldwide(ish)"
dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

While on the topic of pairings in the US, wondering what people do with their smart phones to avoid roaming charges...shut them off, roaming plans etc ???

CdnPilotsalary
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CdnPilotsalary »

dhc# wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:27 pm While on the topic of pairings in the US, wondering what people do with their smart phones to avoid roaming charges...shut them off, roaming plans etc ???
My iPhone has a feature to disable Data Roaming under "Cellular". If your phone doesn't have this you can call your provider and have them to disable it from their end as well.

Tail-Chaser
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Tail-Chaser »

Telus offers a pretty good cross border plan. Let's you use your minutes and data as if the border didn't even exist.

Adiabatic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Adiabatic »

Thanks chipmunk!

geneticistx
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by geneticistx »

you can take fruits and veggies over us border. declare it! Keep the stickers on it!!

Return to “General Comments”