twin otter

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

2ndtime
Rank 0
Rank 0

twin otter

Post by 2ndtime »

i'm a low time guy. if things work out for me in aviation one of the things i'd like to do is fly a twin otter. for those of you who are lucky enough to have flown or are flying a twin otter i was wondering if you could share some info on the aircraft. perhapse some cool stories about what the plane can do, tips for flying them, stuff like that. i'd just like an insiders view of the twin otter.
thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

rampee04
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rampee04 »

I've been flying the twin for just over a year now and these are some of my observations.

First and foremost its an amazing aircraft. The 300 on wheels wants to fly and climb it seems no matter what. Although tail stalls have happened with icing it seems to be somewhat rare. Overall the machine will do just about anything you need it to do performance wise and will remain an absolute pussycat to fly, very forgiving. She'll land ridiculously short and take off in the same fashion with the right pilot.

That being said, i have had some serious pucker factor with a 100 series on CAP floats, it simply does not perform, with a load anyway, and the submarine landing attitude is a little daunting as well.

Gripes? Well the damn thing could use tie downs on the floor, maybe they exist but not in ours. Also, if you're in charge of cleaning them you'll wonder why in the hell the engineers put the landing lights, which are normally extremely effective directly behind the exhausts.

Anyway maybe i'll think more about it while i go clean the cowlings, gotta run....

maxofthenorth
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by maxofthenorth »

The Twin Otter is a great plane to fly (as long as it is a 300/310), I have flown it for the last 5 years on floats(cap and whip)/skis/wheels and I am still having fun. The places the T/Otter can take you are amazing (all ends of the earth). Also for those of you building time it takes so long to get anywhere that the hours build up fast! As for cargo rings in the floor, I know the operator I work for has them all over the floor so I am not to sure what rampee04 is talking about, but I agree with him on what a pussy cat the T/Otter is to fly.

Return to “General Comments”