CommutAir is working on sponsoring Canadian pilots

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

cansponsor
Rank 0
Rank 0

CommutAir is working on sponsoring Canadian pilots

Post by cansponsor »

CommutAir is working on a program to begin sponsoring Canadian pilots.
If you are interested, contact Myrna.Rodriguez@commutair.com to be added to the list.

Guaranteed captain pay after on year of service regardless of whether or not you are upgraded by that time.
See http://www.flycommutair.com/careers/pilots/ for more information.

---------- ADS -----------

Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: CommutAir is working on sponsoring Canadian pilots

Post by Air.Field »

I like how they inflated the "big" salary by $8800 by counting the awful per diems and hotel,uniform,parking. Also I'm sure the performance bonus is tied to the overall company performance, so I wouldn't expect 6800. Despite all that, still better than the regionals this side of the border

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Can I just sleep in the plane and bank it?

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

$4400 per diem average?? And I like how they've grouped that in with pay.

:rolleyes:

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

'97 Tercel wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:12 pm $4400 per diem average?? And I like how they've grouped that in with pay.

:rolleyes:
My per diems for 2017 were over $15000

$4400 is only $366/month :shock:

Let’s Go Brandon
leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

what's your airlines first year salary? include perdiems the multiply by $0.80 for the exchange rate.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

So let's just add the base pay and sign-on bonus: 36,500 + 22,100

= 58,600 USD or about 75,000 CAD.

Taxed less. Lower cost of living. How much do Rouge and Encore pay in year 1, again?

But the real value is in the possibility of obtaining citizenship and work up to a major. In a labour market 10x the size of Canada. Let's put it this way, if someone has ever had designs on a US career there's probably never been a better time to try.

Still, I guess it's easier to make fun of the (yes, tacky) marketing gimmick than actually take the plunge and explore an opportunity.

Have we gone soft? Canadians are no longer willing to move for work.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

thats what I was saying....you just said it better complex.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

complexintentions wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:24 pm So let's just add the base pay and sign-on bonus: 36,500 + 22,100

Taxed less. Lower cost of living. How much do Rouge and Encore pay in year 1, again?

But the real value is in the possibility of obtaining citizenship and work up to a major. In a labour market 10x the size of Canada. Let's put it this way, if someone has ever had designs on a US career there's probably never been a better time to try.

Still, I guess it's easier to make fun of the (yes, tacky) marketing gimmick than actually take the plunge and explore an opportunity.

And then we criticize immigrants for being willing to take the jobs that Canadians are not.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Not a bad deal for a commuter with 4 paid hotels per month in base and a try to make it to work in good faith policy.

Guarantee Captains pay in year 2 until you bypass or fail an upgrade. I guess they are upgrading in a year or wouldn't be throwing that out there.

If I was at a different point in my career and there was a path to a US major like this, I would be trying pretty hard.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Interesting how times have changed...

5 years ago:
YWGGuy wrote: Wed May 23, 2012 7:23 am I took a look at Airline Pilot Central for pay.

DH8 FOs start at 22K a year and Captains at 41K a year at CommutAir.

FOs start at 24K a year and Captains at 42K a year for Colgan Air.

Absolute Disgrace.
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=81703&p=762162&hil ... ir#p762162

shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by shamrock104 »

They are not working on sponsoring Canadian Pilots.

AvifiskAlly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AvifiskAlly »

Panama Jack wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:50 am
complexintentions wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:24 pm So let's just add the base pay and sign-on bonus: 36,500 + 22,100

And then we criticize immigrants for being willing to take the jobs that Canadians are not.
Ya I remember a thread a while ago complaining about EVAS looking for pilots from India and there was a big uproar here. Funny that it is the Canadians the US pilots will be in an uproar about.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

They call us 'frostbacks'...

willfly4food
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by willfly4food »

shamrock104 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:37 am They are not working on sponsoring Canadian Pilots.
I contacted the company yesterday. They are working on it. They jumped the gun on posting the job ad.

If you are interested in working there, I would suggest dropping them a line via email and being added to the list of potential applicants. This has the possibility of showing them that there are enough pilots interested to make it worth looking into.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

AvifiskAlly wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:45 am [Ya I remember a thread a while ago complaining about EVAS looking for pilots from India and there was a big uproar here. Funny that it is the Canadians the US pilots will be in an uproar about.

And that's why I say there is very rarely such a thing as "right" and "wrong" in the traditional sense of the word. There are mostly only "interests".

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

willfly4food wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:09 am
shamrock104 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:37 am They are not working on sponsoring Canadian Pilots.
I contacted the company yesterday. They are working on it. They jumped the gun on posting the job ad.

If you are interested in working there, I would suggest dropping them a line via email and being added to the list of potential applicants. This has the possibility of showing them that there are enough pilots interested to make it worth looking into.

It would require adding pilots to the NAFTA professional trades list for a TN1 visa or the company would have to pay for the much more expensive H1B visa. Both are unlikely.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Unlikely in the past, yes.

Many things happening in the world economy today that not that long ago the armchair experts were saying "would never happen".

From President Trump to interest rates rising...

Project the future from the past at your own peril.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

The big difference being when Canadian operators did it they did so to cut costs and avoid hiring Canadians. Today in
America it seems like there are no Americans to hire and they are paying good money to fill the flight deck.

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

As a few posters have mentioned, it will be difficult for CommutAir to obtain visas for Canadian pilots. Pilots are not on the list of NAFTA occupations at the moment and while, in theory, they could start trying to sponsor pilots under the H1B visa, its not quite as easy as saying "Hey, we like this guy or girl and want to sponsor them to come down to the US".

For the H1B, there are some specific criteria for which type of specialty occupations can be considered and there is actually a cap on how many H1B's can be granted. I was at an immigration law talk last week and the lawyer quoted the stat that the cap is 80,000 visas each year whereas almost 300,000 folks will apply. So even if 1- Commutair decides they want you and 2- they jump through the hoops to start trying to sponsor pilots and 3- USCIS agrees that pilots are eligible for H1B visas, you still have a 73% chance of not getting selected in the lottery. Applications start on April 1st and last year they reached the cap by April 7th.

And, it's important to take a look at where Commutair's bases are: Newark and Dulles. New York and Washington are not exactly the least expensive US cities to live.

Now, this could all change depending on the NAFTA negotiations. Although most informed participants want to amend and update the list of occupations, the lead participant on the US side (Trump) doesn't seem to be all that well informed. I'm still waiting for a late night twitter rant that gets my wife's visa revoked and we have to leave the country.

Return to “General Comments”