Fixed Wing to Rotor?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

gtown
Rank 0
Rank 0

Fixed Wing to Rotor?

Post by gtown »

Hey guys,

I’ve searched and read all the topics I could using the search function but I wanted to post here to get updated opinions/answers. Has anyone made a career swap from Fixed Wing to Rotor?

I’m currently working for one of the regionals but I have been contemplating this change for a while now.

Do Heli companies take into consideration fixed Wing time or do you start at the bottom again?

Do they value Jet and Turbo Prop time?

How’s the lifestyle/pay compared to the regionals/mainline carriers?

If I do make the switch, I think my end goal would be working for Ornge. Any thoughts on that gig?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Cheers,

GT
---------- ADS -----------

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Fixed Wing to Rotor?

Post by MOAB »

For something like Ornge the pay and lifestyle are great. Unless you have any previous rotor time you’ll be starting at the bottom. Most EMS companies will want a minimum of 500 hours rotor. Your experience in night, IFR, and multi crew will be advantageous in EMS, but will mean squat to any purely VFR outfit.

Your experience as a pilot and decision making will carry weight though. It will just be a matter of getting rotor time.

Helijet could be a good option as they do take people with 100 hours rotor.

Why someone would switch to rotor now though if your already in the regionals is beyond me!

Windsock206
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Fixed Wing to Rotor?

Post by Windsock206 »

I would highly recommend staying in the regional's. Without any rotary time, you will literally be subjected to fetching lunch for your managers, making travel arrangements for your boss at 1 AM when hes too drunk to make his commercial flight in the morning, and generally treated like a POS. There are people who have been doing this for 5 years while being dangled carrots. PPC's come after the second or so year, but getting stick time is hard because of customer requirements and insurance. If you have 2000 hrs rotary you can move around fairly reasonably within the industry. Helicopters are far more susceptible to market downturns, and you may find yourself laid off every winter, while they average your work hours. (AKA they pay you for 8 hrs a day max, OT after 2400 hrs or something stupid, then send you on a month off before laying you off so you don't collect the 10g in overtime) and don't forget the fact that you frequently fight and dispute the hours they paid you for one your pay stub due to "clerical errors", which is code for most operators trying to rip you off. If you have a family you will need to move them to a base where your company operates from, as they will not tour people to wash cars and answer phones.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I would not make the move unless this was your dream.

Return to “General Comments”