ForeFlight...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

AppleOTP
Rank 1
Rank 1

ForeFlight...

Post by AppleOTP »

Since I can't find anything online, I'll just make a short post here.

Will be picking up a Foreflight subscription at the "pro" rate. Does anyone have experience with pro vs performance, if so, for a twin piston charter job, which would be your recommendation?

Additionally, I'm used to NavCan plates, are the included plates sufficient, or should I be considering the jepp add-on?

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

milotron
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: ForeFlight...

Post by milotron »

I think the performance gives you different high performance flight planning profiles, suitable for jets. Might work for you.

I use the pro version to get the geo-referenced plates. Happy customer for 4 years and happy to not have to buy charts/CFS/plates anymore.

All of the plates used are the Navcan plates for Canada. Jeppesen not necessary unless you prefer them.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Why would you pay for something to do your job that the company should be providing?

If you just want to be like the rest of the cool kids with an app then just buy the most expensive one.

AppleOTP
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AppleOTP »

Thank you for your insight on the question posed, and not deviating to usual "the hell is wrong with you" that comes from the internet. /s

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

AppleOTP wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:20 pm for a twin piston charter job, which would be your recommendation?
At those prices, none.

Is it even approved for use at your company? you'll still be legally required to carry all the other crap.

Buying a $300/yr application is not going to make you a better pilot. Sure, it might help you learn a few things along the way, but nothing you wouldn't have learned otherwise through less expensive mediums, THAT YOUR COMPANY IS LEGALLY REQUIRED TO PROVIDE YOU.

So, buy whatever one you think is best for you as you really don't need any of them.

Spinwmts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spinwmts »

let me think... would I rather sift through an obese flight bag full of "all of that other crap" or go onto a ipad pull up a current chart, plate, vnc, gfa, metar, taf, oh and everything included in the CFS. Well yeah whatever works for you indeed. I love foreflight and yeah you can do it with out it.. but then again you can navigate without GPS, but if you never turned on your garmin would that make you a better pilot?

I'm working toward my commercial and don't have years of real world flying for pay exp but to have all of that at my finger tips for the cost of an hour of flight rental, it's really a no brainier for me.

dogfood
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dogfood »

why not flight plan go its works great and has geo reference on yeah and its FREE..

Spinwmts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spinwmts »

dogfood wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:10 am why not flight plan go its works great and has geo reference on yeah and its FREE..
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. I've tried other apps but nothing has come close to foreflight but I'll give it a try.

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

dogfood wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:10 am why not flight plan go its works great and has geo reference on yeah and its FREE..
Yup, and yup!

AppleOTP
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AppleOTP »

Dogfood: will look into it as well.

Spinwmts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spinwmts »

yeah, i checked it out and its pretty extensive. May have to consider switching when my subscription expires...at first glance I didn't see any w&b, log book, check lists, and the other bells/whistles that FF has, but pretty damn good for FREE. Especially if you have geo ref plates (which I believe is only offered through FF pro ).

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

And there ya go! Definitely get the free one.

My whole point is that your company should pay for it.

If they want you to be smarter and more efficient then they would be covering it, many operators are as they see the benefit of an efb.

A young person starting out usually can't afford $300/year for something like that and I'd hate to see that become norm.

dpm
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dpm »

Spinwmts wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:54 pm yeah, i checked it out and its pretty extensive. May have to consider switching when my subscription expires...at first glance I didn't see any w&b, log book, check lists, and the other bells/whistles that FF has, but pretty damn good for FREE. Especially if you have geo ref plates (which I believe is only offered through FF pro ).
FltPlan Go has had W&B, a logbook, and checklists in Android for many years, so I'm sure it does in iOS too (the Android features usually lag a release or two behind). It also has the full CFS (not just the airport entries). It can display georeferenced approach plates over the map, and can also show all SIDS and STARS for an airport, to let you picture the routes. It can take wireless data from Dynon or Avidyne avionics, and from a list of ADS-B and Sirius-XM receivers.

The really nice part is that it's synced up with the web site, so you can do you flight planning online and have it appear on your mobile device automatically. They've just announced a strategic partnership with Garmin to allow syncing flight plans with the GTN 650/750 over Connext (Garmin's cockpit wireless protocol) as well; hopefully they'll add more Connext support in the future, so that it can show weather and traffic from the GTX 345 and similar devices.

And it's really, really free. They have for-pay services for fleet managers, etc., but there's no way for individual pilots to send them money even if we wanted to; they're focussed on B2B customers, and stuff for pilots is just an optional freebie.

@CYRO
JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I found FltPlan Go quite flaky on both my devices. Also would prefer something without the ads, so I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on Foreflight myself. I've given up on it.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
dogfood
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dogfood »

ads? been using it for almost three years now never seen an add on the android app

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Every man women and child should have Fltplan Go on their phone as a backup in case all else fails. Its good for plates but the enroute portion kind of sucks or I cant figure out how to use it in Canada. It works with your phone in aeroplane mode as well which uses a lot less battery.

As for Foreflight it's really the best thing since sliced bread. Far better than Flt plan, or Jepp. It has a feature called "Plates on Map" that's the cat's meow for situational awareness in the TCA and while manoeuvring for an IAP. They were working on the ability to display Jepp plates in Foreflight the same way and was supposed to be released early this year, not sure if they have.

https://blog.foreflight.com/2013/08/19/ ... ps-how-to/

Spinwmts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spinwmts »

JasonE wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:51 pm I found FltPlan Go quite flaky on both my devices. Also would prefer something without the ads, so I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on Foreflight myself. I've given up on it.
Have you tried the 30 day free trial for FF? I'm not sure if they still have it but that would be a great way to check it out. Compared to all the other costs of flying, its minimal; tomorrow I'm flying for around 2 hours...the cost of that flight will pay for 3.4 years of a Foreflight Basic Plus Canada subscription.

dpm
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dpm »

co-joe wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:46 pmAs for Foreflight it's really the best thing since sliced bread. Far better than Flt plan, or Jepp. It has a feature called "Plates on Map" that's the cat's meow for situational awareness in the TCA and while manoeuvring for an IAP.
Is that different from the way FltPlan Go and Garmin can display an approach plate in position over a map with variable transparency?

@CYRO
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

dpm wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:17 pm
co-joe wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:46 pmAs for Foreflight it's really the best thing since sliced bread. Far better than Flt plan, or Jepp. It has a feature called "Plates on Map" that's the cat's meow for situational awareness in the TCA and while manoeuvring for an IAP.
Is that different from the way FltPlan Go and Garmin can display an approach plate in position over a map with variable transparency?
Good question. How do you overlay an approach plate on the LO chart in FltPlan Go?

dpm
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dpm »

co-joe wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:17 am
dpm wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:17 pm
Good question. How do you overlay an approach plate on the LO chart in FltPlan Go?
In FltPlan Go for Android, display the lo chart in the map tab, tap on an airport (make sure airports are enabled in overlays), then choose "View procedures" and select one. The IAP will pop up over the map, and a new "Plate options" button will appear to let you adjust transparency or remove the procedure.

In Garmin Pilot for Android, tap on the airport on the map screen, choose the airport icon from the radial menu that pops up, select "Proc", then choose your IAP from the list. The IAP will pop up over the map, and there will be a gear icon in the top left corner to let you adjust transparency or remove the procedure.

I actually do subscribe to Garmin Pilot because I'm a middle-aged IT consultant with a PPL who flies for recreation (and sometimes business), and it integrates well with my avionics; if I were a young CPL trying to build hours and make ends meet on starvation pay, I can't see any reason I'd drop $300 on a ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot subscription. FltPlan Go has a slightly clunky UI and is missing some of the (useless) bells and whistles like jerky synthetic vision and a fake HSI, but it has everything you need for an EFB and is completely free.

@CYRO

Return to “General Comments”