Are paid training opportunities worth it?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Are paid training opportunities worth it?

Post by Pacqing »

What I was going to say as above. . If your endgame is AC and you do go pay for the endorsement then come back to Canada and apply @ AC who do you think will be looking at your CV. Some guy who paid his dues , went through several up/down cycles in Canadian aviation and finally made it to where she/she is. Where will your CV go? Top of pile or ground file? I'll let you figure it out.
---------- ADS -----------

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

Pacqing wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:13 am Where will your CV go? Top of pile or ground file? I'll let you figure it out.
Why? Why is the line drawn at paying for a type rating? It's flight training after all. It's fine to pay for a commercial license, multi-engine rating, and instrument rating. Those are also forms if flight training, but after that, no go? That's hypocrisy, isn't it? Sort of like saying times were crap for me, so I'm going to make sure they're crap for you too. That kind of makes you a dick.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Aviatard wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:18 am Why? Why is the line drawn at paying for a type rating? It's flight training after all. It's fine to pay for a commercial license, multi-engine rating, and instrument rating. Those are also forms if flight training, but after that, no go? That's hypocrisy, isn't it? Sort of like saying times were crap for me, so I'm going to make sure they're crap for you too. That kind of makes you a dick.
Because employers will provide type ratings, but they won't provide licences. It's no different than telling an employer that you'll work for free to give you an advantage over all the people who want money. Paying to give yourself a leg-up on other pilots is like paying to get an advantage in a video game: you might win the game, but it doesn't make you any better at it, and everyone will think a lot less of you.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Aviatard wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:18 am Why? Why is the line drawn at paying for a type rating? It's flight training after all. It's fine to pay for a commercial license, multi-engine rating, and instrument rating. Those are also forms if flight training, but after that, no go? That's hypocrisy, isn't it? Sort of like saying times were crap for me, so I'm going to make sure they're crap for you too. That kind of makes you a dick.
Because employers will provide type ratings, but they won't provide licences. It's no different than telling an employer that you'll work for free to give you an advantage over all the people who want money. Paying to give yourself a leg-up on other pilots is like paying to get an advantage in a video game: you might win the game, but it doesn't make you any better at it, and everyone will think a lot less of you.

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

Diadem wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:30 am It's no different than telling an employer that you'll work for free to give you an advantage over all the people who want money. Paying to give yourself a leg-up on other pilots is like paying to get an advantage in a video game: you might win the game, but it doesn't make you any better at it, and everyone will think a lot less of you.
It's very different than working for free. I'm showing up with a qualification that I paid for, just like I paid for my Group 1 IFR rating. Lots of people couldn't afford to pay for a commercial license, but if I can, am I getting a leg up on those guys who went to truck driving school because $75,000 for flight training was too much for them? It's an arbitrary policy with no rational reason behind it.

BTW I'm too old for the airlines to consider, so I have no skin in this game. I just think it's a dumb way of thinking.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

To me, the "getting a typerating"-part isn't the bad part, it's more the "pay to work for 500 hours"-part that sucks, which is often part of paid training courses.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Pacqing wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:13 am What I was going to say as above. . If your endgame is AC and you do go pay for the endorsement then come back to Canada and apply @ AC who do you think will be looking at your CV. Some guy who paid his dues , went through several up/down cycles in Canadian aviation and finally made it to where she/she is. Where will your CV go? Top of pile or ground file? I'll let you figure it out.
So paying 170,000 on training isn't "paying your dues", is that it? lol

hahah It's hilarious seeing people get all wound up about this. For many, many people paying to fly has paid off handsomely and that just drives those who don't have the money to do the same absolutely crazy in "Everyone's Equal Canada"! :mrgreen:

Sorry, but not everyone's equal. There's always someone with an advantage whether it's the opportunity to take advantage of being a diversity hire, nepotism, born rich, or just in the right place at the right time of the hiring cycle. No need to think you've suffered something unique just because it took you longer to get somewhere.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

I once received a resume from someone who also offered to pay for their $50,000 type rating. Needless to say, I didn't hire him.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Everybody needs a CPL and group 1. Not everybody needs an a320 type rating. That is specific to the job, hence job specific training and should be paid by the company.

Return to “General Comments”