The problem with runways at Canada's major airports - CBC

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

The problem with runways at Canada's major airports - CBC

Post by golden hawk »

---------- ADS -----------

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: The problem with runways at Canada's major airports - CBC

Post by rookiepilot »

"According to Transport Canada's documents, Canada is now one of only four of the 191 ICAO countries that has not yet increased standards."

Canada, the world leader.

Again. In the wrong direction.

JetSetter87
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JetSetter87 »

Interesting read.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Runways will never be long enough for the ones who miss the runway. The TSB's job is to come up with recommendations, that is really all they do and TC just nods and continues it's course.

Maybe they'll take it into consideration for new builds but we can't go around extending every runway in Canada.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Heliian wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:40 amMaybe they'll take it into consideration for new builds but we can't go around extending every runway in Canada.
Interesting response. What is so special about Canada that we cannot do what almost every other country in the world has been able to do? I keep hearing about how infrastructure in the US is crumbling and yet:
According to Transport Canada's documents, Canada is now one of only four of the 191 ICAO countries that has not yet increased standards.
Pilot Dan Cadieux, with the Air Canada Pilots Association, said Canada should make all 300 metres mandatory.
"The U.S. government gets it; 97 per cent of all U.S. runways meet that standard,"

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Canada has lots of snow, ice and pilots pushing weather.

Nearly all of the runway overrun incidents are due to poor pilot decision making. Air France would have just plowed through the 401 if it had more runway.

The TSB video shows a few accidents trying to make it look like a runway problem but most of them were in marginal weather and pooched approaches.

Don't be so hypocritical about ICAO standards, you want to be in line here but not on duty days?

North Bay has 10000ft, should they add another 600m? Do you think that's money well spent on safety?

Edmonchuck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Edmonchuck »

ahramin wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:00 am
Heliian wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:40 amMaybe they'll take it into consideration for new builds but we can't go around extending every runway in Canada.
Interesting response. What is so special about Canada that we cannot do what almost every other country in the world has been able to do? I keep hearing about how infrastructure in the US is crumbling and yet:
According to Transport Canada's documents, Canada is now one of only four of the 191 ICAO countries that has not yet increased standards.
Pilot Dan Cadieux, with the Air Canada Pilots Association, said Canada should make all 300 metres mandatory.
"The U.S. government gets it; 97 per cent of all U.S. runways meet that standard,"
It is the same problem I am running into, space. You also would need to move the entire ILS infrastructure to accomodate.

I am not advocating doing nothing. Possibly the use of collapsable concrete or other arresting devices would be better suited than just raw pavement. However, forcing aerodromes that already are heavily encorached on would force the buyout of landowners and homes. That NEVER goes well. Put this on a must buy situation, and you don't have governmental powers behind you, and the price skyrockets for the alleged benefits proposed by the TSB. In my project, it would add millions.

That is the core reason why you are not seeing the change in existing infrastructure.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Canada should have CAT II/III ILS approaches (at more airports), runway center line lighting, concrete runways, grooved runways, and a boat of other features like pretty much every other country, but it's never going to happen. We'd never be able to pay for the PMs vacations to Florida and India. Plus could you think of the carbon tax to build that new grooved concrete runway?! It would be absurd.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Edmonchuck, how long is your runway?

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Using AF358 as justification for lengthening runway overrun areas is the worst sort of reasoning. They were attempting to land in a major storm cell, were high, fast, way outside of the touchdown zone, and didn't apply reverse thrust. And then went merrily off the end at 80kts. Quelle surprise! How unforeseeable!

Margins are built in to account for rare failures, not wilful negligence. Too harsh? Ok, dismally poor decision-making and completely incorrect procedure, then.

I'm all for bringing Canada up to standard, but attempting to link it to an accident that was entirely due to poor piloting and nothing whatsoever to do with airport design is ridiculously illogical. The industry equivalent of trying to pad the sharp corners of the furniture instead of teaching the children to walk.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Canada spends more money on terminal buildings than on runways. Our runways and airports are badly designed. The person(s) who thought up deicing at our major airports should be shot and pssed on. Toronto is the worst. Deicing bays should be at the departure ends of runways where they do the most good and hold over times are never an issue. Move the equipment and not the aircraft --
Almost every city in Europe has at least a cat 2 runway, our nation's capital -- NOT - they should bring back the PAR there -- haha -- let's face it, Canada is still 3rd world when it comes to aviation, just look at NWO and Manitoba. The high arctic has better runways and facilities than those two out dated areas - fuel in every stop, CARS operators, wx - what a concept

But on the other side of the coin here the condo developers for the "Island" will be fully erected and salivating and Porter will lose it's niche market trump card. The end result - nothing will change or changes moves so slow it appears stationary and that my friends is so canadian.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
A346Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A346Dude »

"Transport Canada's coming regulations will allow airports to use those engineered systems or to formally shorten their runways. A reduction in declared runway length would reduce an airport's declared distance, which could impact what types of planes could land there."

Great, let's take a piece of pavement, do nothing with it except pencil whip it to make it less useful, all to meet an arbitrary standard.

Cliff Jumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cliff Jumper »

complexintentions wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:38 am
Margins are built in to account for rare failures, not wilful negligence. Too harsh? Ok, dismally poor decision-making and completely incorrect procedure, then.
Nope.

Human errors exactly why RESA's are built. How many overruns/undershoots were caused by 'rare failures'?

A few, but not many.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I expect we'll see more EMAS in Canada, especially in real estate limited airports. 150m of EMAS is probably equally as safe as 300m of hard concrete

Edmonchuck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Edmonchuck »

ahramin wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:57 pm Edmonchuck, how long is your runway?
5,000' - 1524m

Edmonchuck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Edmonchuck »

goingnowherefast wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:25 am I expect we'll see more EMAS in Canada, especially in real estate limited airports. 150m of EMAS is probably equally as safe as 300m of hard concrete
I would expect the same.

One other thing I am trying to get to the bottom of is runway approach lighting. Given that this could eat up significant space, and approaches are changing, would having approach lighting embedded in the EMAS or displaced threshold help? I would think that below DH the slope of the approach lights would be less necessary.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

valleyboy wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:24 am Canada spends more money on terminal buildings than on runways. Our runways and airports are badly designed. The person(s) who thought up deicing at our major airports should be shot and pssed on. Toronto is the worst. Deicing bays should be at the departure ends of runways where they do the most good and hold over times are never an issue. Move the equipment and not the aircraft --
I’ve been based in YYZ for 15 years and have never gone over my Type 4 holdover time

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

I’ve been based in YYZ for 15 years and have never gone over my Type 4 holdover time
I would go out and buy a lottery ticket :smt040 but how many times have you sat there checking your watch, would it not be much nicer and safer to deice and go within 2 to 3 minutes -- I'm just sayin

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

valleyboy wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:56 am
I would go out and buy a lottery ticket :smt040 but how many times have you sat there checking your watch, would it not be much nicer and safer to deice and go within 2 to 3 minutes -- I'm just sayin
So the US would be considered what 4th world when it comes to de-icing??? Honestly I think the Canadian CDF system works well instead of the randomness to the US airports including gate spraying

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Well like everything else in this world, even if it seems to work well there is always room for improvement. Why are people so opposed to change. I've seen systems that work better than what we have and with the development of new runway standards improvements should be explored.

Return to “General Comments”