Experience Vs. Degree: (2)

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

As a Chief Pilot hiring a new FO (and later captain), you would choose.....

1. Grizzled, grouchy bush veteran with 2000 + hours hauling the pop and chips up north, high school dropout;
30%
2. Snot nosed but pleasant 500 Hour wonder flight instructor with a degree and a total genius on the latest avionics;
35%
3. Who Cares: Whoever fit best in our corporate culture. (or would work the cheapest)
35%

Total votes: 60

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Experience Vs. Degree: (2)

Post by goldeneagle »

As somebody who has held the CP position for a considerable time over the years, my comment is, the poll is written by a troll, designed to elicit an emotional reaction from those that have had a negative experience thru the hiring process in aviation over the years, with an emphasis on stereotypes that are promoted here on this site.

The correct answer for the poll has been conspicuously left out, and that is 'none of the above'.

It's really easy to paint with a wide stereotype brush, but, out in the real world, things aren't so simple as they appear here in the pretend world of Avacanada bitch sessions. Every company is different, and has different ideas of what makes an ideal candidate. For those trolling, I challenge you, step up to the plate, wear the CP hat and do a better job than those already there. If you aren't going to step up to the plate and do the job, then STFU and leave it to those who will.
---------- ADS -----------

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

rookiepilot wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:37 pm If I was hiring that would be worth something to me.
I'm curious now, how many full time pilots have you hired over the years ? How many part time pilots ?

The opinion doesn't amount to much for this discussion if you dont actually have influence on the hiring process for pilots, it's just wishful thinking from a wannabe.

bald seagull
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bald seagull »

PositiveRate27 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:43 pm Where is the option of “Highschool graduate who is a seasoned veteran, has command time, is well liked by his peers, has a pleasant disposition and is up to date on the latest and greatest tech in the industry.”
Not there because a) he's at WestJet already, or b) she's at Air Canada already :lol:

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

a) no-one is a "grizzled, grouchy veteran" of anything after only 2000 hours

b) there are plenty of "grizzled, grouchy veterans" WITH degrees.

c) There are plenty of snot-nosed little 500-hour pricks without degrees.

Why would I choose ANY of your choices?

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Meatservo wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:20 am a) no-one is a "grizzled, grouchy veteran" of anything after only 2000 hours

b) there are plenty of "grizzled, grouchy veterans" WITH degrees.

c) There are plenty of snot-nosed little 500-hour pricks without degrees.

Why would I choose ANY of your choices?
Some of the descriptions made it an (obviously I thought) somewhat a tongue in cheek poll.

Obviously not to all, and there are a million different profiles out there.

Welcome to design your own poll.......mods can replace this one.

Return to “General Comments”