Starting a Pilot career in your 30’s with a family.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Starting a Pilot career in your 30’s with a family.

Post by Outlaw58 »

Loner wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:49 am
Outlaw58 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:33 am Just got my 1st airline gig at 50, single dad with shared custody of 2 kids (below 10). Anything is possible!!

Nice achievement!
At what age did you start initial training?
Hmm yeah nice catch hehehe....

Got my PPL at 17 and then flew helos in the military for 33 yrs before going over to the airlines.

That being said, much like OP, I still had to ditch the decent pay and awesome quality of life as a reservist, to start over again at the bottom of the seniority list not to mention the pay. I am not complaining!! I am doing that with my eyes wide open, fully accepting that I am taking a full step back in the hopes of taking 2 or 3 steps forward in the not too distant future.

I love flying, can't see myself doing anything else!!

---------- ADS -----------

Axial Flow
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Axial Flow »

Got my PPL at 17 and then flew helos in the military for 33 yrs before going over to the airlines.
"Eyes wide open" making $70,000 on a pension isn't really embracing uncertainty...you already make more than any AC new hires for the next 5 years without even working...

That being said, get your 3000 hours and apply at Transport and make over $100,000 pushing paper. Like I tell my kids, get a job that pays lots of money, purchase a plane and fly when and where you want to.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Axial Flow wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:17 pm
"Eyes wide open" making $70,000 on a pension isn't really embracing uncertainty...you already make more than any AC new hires for the next 5 years without even working...

That being said, get your 3000 hours and apply at Transport and make over $100,000 pushing paper. Like I tell my kids, get a job that pays lots of money, purchase a plane and fly when and where you want to.
Off on a tangent but I'll bite.

My intent was to point out that the career is exciting and fulfilling enough to justify letting go of both pay and quality of life (to a point of course) in order to pursue it. Compared to any other new hires, I am doing very well thank you and I know that but regardless of that fact, compared to my previous situation, I took a big hit in pay/QOL and it doesn't affect only me but my kids and GF too.

As for the desk job, why on earth would I spend my days in a crappy job to pay for flying in my time off? I"ll leave the cockpit the day I can no longer hold a CAT 1 medical. AS I have often said before, if you're not having fun flying, you're doing it wrong!

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Outlaw58 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:02 am

My intent was to point out that the career is exciting and fulfilling enough to justify letting go of both pay and quality of life (to a point of course) in order to pursue it. Compared to any other new hires, I am doing very well thank you and I know that but regardless of that fact, compared to my previous situation, I took a big hit in pay/QOL and it doesn't affect only me but my kids and GF too.

As for the desk job, why on earth would I spend my days in a crappy job to pay for flying in my time off? I"ll leave the cockpit the day I can no longer hold a CAT 1 medical. As I have often said before, if you're not having fun flying, you're doing it wrong!

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

As for the desk job, why on earth would I spend my days in a crappy job to pay for flying in my time off? I"ll leave the cockpit the day I can no longer hold a CAT 1 medical. As I have often said before, if you're not having fun flying, you're doing it wrong!

Need a bit of a course correction I think.

First off, TC will not pay you 100K when you get hired. You will be hired at around 80K, and after many many years, yes, maybe you will make about 120K, and that is if you take a managers job with all of the bullshit that comes with it.

Second, since I have done that, and that is after a rather spectacular bankruptcy and I needed a job in an industry that was in serious dire straights all over the world, it ain't no picnic being at TC. Sadly, the work environment is very toxic which to this day I do not understand, which takes a whole lot out of you, and you can google it; there is a problem in the public service. 90% of the recruits that were hired at the time left. I was one of them.

Should be a not bad job, it isn't. I can't figure out why it is like that. But it is.

Sooooo.........since timing is everything in life, and timing for cockpit jobs is nothing short of spectacular, not seen in 50 years, or even ever as a matter of fact, I would say that placing your bets on a pilot job is a low to medium risk.

Looking back, even if my timing was wrong since I was not born at the right place at the right time, so I certainly did not retire as a multimillionaire like the AC guys I know, I can sure tell you that flying airplanes for a living is alot better and alot healthier that the typical rank and file non aviation jobs out there.

Had to do a few of those jobs because of bankrupticies, mass layoffs and the like. Those days are over, the economy is on a tear now, demand for air transportation is on a high.

At the end of the day, being in an office with windows that moves at a certain speed and at a certain altitude sure beats out a cubicle job with all of the soul crushing office politics involved.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
chris_h1976
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chris_h1976 »

Outlaw58 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:35 pm
Outlaw58 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:33 am Just got my 1st airline gig at 50, single dad with shared custody of 2 kids (below 10). Anything is possible!!

Nice achievement!

That being said, much like OP, I still had to ditch the decent pay and awesome quality of life as a reservist, to start over again at the bottom of the seniority list not to mention the pay. I am not complaining!! I am doing that with my eyes wide open, fully accepting that I am taking a full step back in the hopes of taking 2 or 3 steps forward in the not too distant future.

Congratulations and good luck! I love hearing these types of success stories, especially as I am about to throw in the towel on a successful 21 year career in the Army to start over in aviation at 42 years old. It's good to know it can be done, and I do feel lucky that the timing is good in the industry.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

chris_h1976 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:29 am
Outlaw58 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:35 pm

Nice achievement!

Congratulations and good luck! I love hearing these types of success stories, especially as I am about to throw in the towel on a successful 21 year career in the Army to start over in aviation at 42 years old. It's good to know it can be done, and I do feel lucky that the timing is good in the industry.
Thanks and best of luck to you too!! :)

Return to “General Comments”