Pilot Kiss's ground

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Pilot Kiss's ground

Post by godsrcrazy »

I am thinking any pilot/instructor that has to kiss the ground after this should stay on the ground. This guy was instructing another pilot to be an instructor.

http://people.com/travel/pilot-kisses-g ... y-landing/
---------- ADS -----------

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Pilot Kiss's ground

Post by PositiveRate27 »

I think you’re wound up a little tight my friend. Spend some time down in Florida with the good ol’ boys and you’d quickly understand that his response was a joke to relieve the tension of the moment that just occurred.

dogfood
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dogfood »

Poor engine maybe they had reason not too but I would have shut it down short final to try and save the engine

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Forget saving the engine. The insurance company owns it. It’s a dumb decision to deliberately compound an emergency.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

I agree with PositiveRate... the guy doesn't look much like a serious ground kisser to me.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

That wasn’t full flaps on landing. Why wouldn’t you use full flaps?

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Zaibatsu wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:41 pm Forget saving the engine. The insurance company owns it. It’s a dumb decision to deliberately compound an emergency.
personally I'd rather not have an engine with fuel running through it and a big metal thing spinning out front if I know its going to be hitting the ground. Also a lot of small aircraft don't have insurance for in flight, just liability and damage while parked.

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

Maybe i am wound to tight. There are some legitimate questions as to how this emergency was handled. Keep in mind this guy was an instructor trying a licensed pilot to be an instructor.

CanadianBird
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CanadianBird »

Agreed that it was probably a "relief joke". My wife, however, didn't take it that way, and proceeded to mention how "dangerous" GA is.

Spent 5 minutes going through anything and everythign I could find wrong with the article, and his potential procedure issues.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

fish4life wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:29 am
Zaibatsu wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:41 pm Forget saving the engine. The insurance company owns it. It’s a dumb decision to deliberately compound an emergency.
personally I'd rather not have an engine with fuel running through it and a big metal thing spinning out front if I know its going to be hitting the ground. Also a lot of small aircraft don't have insurance for in flight, just liability and damage while parked.
You’ve been watching too many Michael Bay movies.

The engine will still require a tear down if the prop hits while windmilling according to the manufacturer.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:04 pm That wasn’t full flaps on landing. Why wouldn’t you use full flaps?
They had unsafe gear so it may have called for minimal flaps. I know some other manufacturers call for a flapless belly landing.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Yeah, I think Helian nailed it. Putting out full flaps would allow a slower approach speed but also result in more of a nose-low attitude. Not ideal with an unlocked nose gear, right?

And at least according to the guy interviewed, at around the 1:00 mark he mentions they "cut the fuel, cut the engine" before the nose came down. Don't know if they actually did it, but seems like a good idea to me as well - can't really see how that "compounds the situation". Hardly "Michael Bay action" to secure a small piston engine, and even if it needs a tear-down there's going to be a hell of a lot less damage from a windmilling engine than one producing power.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

There are different lines of thinking on the idea of shutting down the engine and possibly trying to stop the prop from windmilling. Depends on the circumstances but I would at least consider it. And remember...the insurance company doesn't "own it" if you have no hull insurance.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Forget saving the engine. The insurance company owns it.
Amazing statement.

But typical of a lot of pilots attitude and ignorance of what damaging machines costs.

Not to mention insurance pay outs costs everyone, well maybe not directly the pilot who didn't bother to try and reduce the damage.

I wonder if that attitude is partly responsible for the low pay they always moan about?

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

Always dead stick into the wind... if you can, and always drop full flaps regardless prior to touchdown. That should be ingrained!

Keep the dirty side down.
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

EPR wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:38 pm and always drop full flaps regardless prior to touchdown. That should be ingrained!
? or you could follow the recommended procedure. There are several reasons to not use full flaps, the most important one being directional control. We are talking about a landing on a suitable surface. If you're going into the forest then by all means full flaps and stall it in.

Flaps 17 as per QRH:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZZvNmt57rE[/youtube]

Return to “General Comments”