Lancaster Bomber FM104

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Lancaster Bomber FM104

Post by fleet16b »

The Economic Development Dept of the City of Toronto recommended the transfer of the aircraft to the BC Aviation Museum . It looked as if this airframe was to finally have a safe and stable future.
However, a small grass roots group of 4-5 individuals has come forward and is attempting to block the transfer and keep the aircraft in Toronto.
They are a small group that has no money , no facility or location to build a facility , no experience in aircraft restoration. They have contacted a couple of people that have Lanc Resto experience but nothing more than that. While I too would love to see the aircraft stay, its history in Toronto has been horrible its whole life . From sitting on a pedestal for years, to being scavenged for parts for other Lanc projects , to being loaned to the Toronto Aerospace Museum which could not keep themselves afloat , to sitting stored for several years at various location.
The City of Toronto did the right thing and accepted proposals from reputable Aviation Organizations that wished to take over ownership of the aircraft. It identified a suitable group that are supported by Victoria Air Maint, ( they just restored a Mosquito ). The City also place a parachute clause that would transfer ownership to another group if the BC Museum closed down. They did their due diligence
This new small inexperienced group has now come on the scene and is trying to block the entire proposal. While their intentions may be in some way understandable, giving ownership to such a group at this point in the negotiations would be adverse to the airframes future.
Toronto really does not have the market for another Lancaster Exhibit considering there is one flying example and 2 under restoration and one in the National Museum all within 5 hrs of each other. Each of these aircraft were built in Toronto , so Victory Aircraft Ltd is well represented.
The main concern should be for the airframe itself , NOT where is does or does not stay .
I really hope that the City sticks to the recommendation and finally does right by this aircraft
---------- ADS -----------

...isn't he the best pilot you've ever seen?....Yeah he is ....except when I'm shaving.........
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Lancaster Bomber FM104

Post by Beefitarian »

It would be nice to see it fly again.

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Lancaster Bomber FM104

Post by fleet16b »

Yesterday the City of Toronto made it official.
Lancaster Bomber FM104 has been warded to the British Columbia Aviation Museum .
In conjunction with Victoria Air Maint, , they plan to restore the aircraft ( possibly to flying condition) .
If possible, this will be a huge undertaking as the main spars are both cut
Congratulations to the Museum and to Canadians out west that will who will now get a chance to see a Lanc up close

Canada will now have Lancasters coast to coast :smt040

...isn't he the best pilot you've ever seen?....Yeah he is ....except when I'm shaving.........

Return to “General Comments”