pc-12 or navajo?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

seiger
Rank 1
Rank 1

pc-12 or navajo?

Post by seiger »

If you had the opportunity to fly right seat in a pc-12 or a navajo which airplane would you choose with upgrade times being about a year or so for both.
---------- ADS -----------

DEFPOTEC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DEFPOTEC »

it depends on what experience you have so far, but if you don't have a lot of multi, then that's the way to go.

seiger
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by seiger »

very little multi, less then 50 hours

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

would you want to stay with either company for a few years, if so then fleet would be my deciding factor. If you want to end up corporate, the PC-12 might be a good idea too. If you're not looking long term fleet upgrades, I'd take the PA-31 so you can get some MPIC. Not to scoff at turbine/glass/high alt though.

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

What do they pay?

Where are they located?

And who's hiring for PC-12's with 50 hrs* "multi"?

Last edited by cyyz on Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

less than 50hrs multi dude. :wink:

Anonymous1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Anonymous1 »

Put insurance considerations first. 1000 hours PC12 time does you no good for an upgrade to any kind of multi plane at many companies. Its all anout multi PIC and time on type. Now if they have other multi equipment in their fleet, then no big deal. Conversely, navajo PIC time will get you direct entry left seat PC12 if you want to move to a PC12 later. Right seat PC12 only time will get you absolutely nowhere outside of your current company. In fact, years ago Keewatin hired F/Os and there weren't even instruments in the right side. Sure you build hours but if you left for another place, you'd probably be fired right after your first hand flown approach. Also, navajos pay less than PC12s usually so the movement to left seat will be faster at the Navajo place.

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

Anonymous1 wrote: Also, navajos pay less than PC12s usually so the movement to left seat will be faster at the Navajo place.
Exactly, so if he's flying out of Ottawa for $65-85k a year he should stay with the PC-12, over timbuk-tu at 10/hr.

PS.

Are you paying for the PPC's? Go with the Ho, it'll be cheaper. =)

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

so if he's flying out of Ottawa for $65-85k a year
Where is this job, and where do I apply?

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

How many hours a year does each machine fly?
The upgrade time is the same, but with no multi PIC it's going to be hard to get a Left seat Twinn turbine job.

All things being equal, I'd go for the twinn.

Cheers.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
desksgo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: pc-12 or navajo?

Post by desksgo »

seiger wrote:If you had the opportunity to fly right seat in a pc-12 or a navajo which airplane would you choose with upgrade times being about a year or so for both.
Is there an option that involves a long rope that would support my body weight? That sounds pretty nifty.

Wasn't Me
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Wasn't Me »

To bad you cannot do both. It a hard one. How about who's going to pay you the most money. I hope money is involved.

I wish I could spell
flight1206
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flight1206 »

Flew both of them PC-12 is a great machine it helps with the efis but when it comes to a upgrade in the multi world the ho will take you futher than the 12 don't get to much time on the pc 12 it will start to hurt you.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

How stable are the companies? The Ho may come and go, but usually a company with the bling to run a PC12 will be around for a while. I know I'd rather be sitting behind a big warm PT6 in the winter...better heat! Until it stops turning...but that's unlikely. Plus, most operators with PC12's also operate twin turbines as well....never twin pistons! Either way, nobody will put you into the LEFT seat of, say a King Air with just a stack of right seat Ho time, so you'd be looking at a right seat anyway. I'd pass on the Ho...if the PC12 guys have twins to move into...because you'd start in the right seat of a turbine twin any way.
Pass on the Ho...go with the glass in the flight levels!

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

DOC I know a few 12 drivers that cannot go CPT on twin turbines (1900's) because they have no multi time, but thousands (4000 ish) of hours on the 12 and 208. If Seiger can get into the right seat of the HO, then left seat of the HO, he would be much better off than right seat on the 12, then left seat on the 12. Without any multi time (PIC or SIC) it's going to be very hard to make the jump onto any LH seat of any twin.

Ideally, the best would be right seat 12, left seat HO and left seat 12, best of both worlds.

Seiger here's some advice: if your going to choose the 12, do yourself a huge favour and hand fly as much as possible to get your scan down. Personally I like to fly the takeoff for the first 5000’, the descent and all approaches. If you already have thousands of hours IFR it’s not needed, but if you’re just starting out I recommend hand flying.

Cheers.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

KAG...I was thinking along the line of right seat 12, then left seat 12, then right seat 1900, then left seat 1900? You're saying that companies wont move him from the right seat of the 1900 without some prior twin command time? Even in the Ho, which we both know is apples and oranges?
That's something to clear up in an interview. What are your requirements for advancement? And will the time I have now, plus the time I get on your equipment enable me to move into the left seat...of whatever you have?

Anonymous1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Anonymous1 »

No insurance company is ever going to approve someone right seat PC12 pilot to left seat HO. That's a pipe dream.....250 on type is a minimum before any upgrade for most insurance companies....right seat PC12 to right seat Ho is more likely...

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

Donald wrote:
so if he's flying out of Ottawa for $65-85k a year
Where is this job, and where do I apply?
RCMP...

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

DOC, good points.
I was just thinking of a friend of mine who has flown nothing but the 208 and PC12 with over 4000 hours. He has the decision making, and hands and feet, but cannot go CPT on any twin his company has because he has no twin time. If he had even co-pilot multi time, he would be a direct entry CPT on the machine instead of a 4000 hour co-pilot.

Anyway, it’s about having a balanced resume early on, not just TT. Without multi time, it’s going to close a few doors, or require a backwards step to get it.

Cheers.

UNS1C
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by UNS1C »

I went form PC-12 Capt to B1900 Capt with 17 hrs total multi time, so it can be done...

Return to “General Comments”