US Airlines

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

US Airlines

Post by oldtimer »

Today I mentioned to one of our company pilots about TC changing the rules for IFR flights and if the visibility minima in the USA is cast in stone as opposed to our advisiory. This was what was related to me. One of our crew were out of CYLW the other evening after the tower closed, FSS is in CYKA. Our airplane landed and then took off, other Canadain airlines landed and took-off because the weather was observed as good VFR. They saw the airport from 16,000ft. vis was about 30 miles+. beautiful spring evening. But the AWOS was malfunctioning and was reporting the visibility as 1/8 mile. With the tower closed, there was no one to dispute the AWOS. An American airline with an impecable reputation could not land because the AWOS was reporting visibility as 1/8 mile, which would be below their and everyone elses limits. They were not legal to commence the approach so they went back to Seattle. Even though the crew could see the airport from their vantage point at altitude. Is that a dumb rule or were the crew trying something political or dumb or was it a protest. Certainly some sort of common sense has to prevail somewhere.
---------- ADS -----------

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... bitterpill

Points to other US useless rules.

But if they have homes in Seatle might as well use a "stupid" rule to your advantage..

TheCheez
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by TheCheez »

Said airline is notoriously infamous for sticking to the SOP's and the rules.

They like to follow the ILS down all the way on VFR days too.

FL410
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410 »

Said airline being?

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

I know it really ticks you off when you are delayed by that but rules are rules and if the CP found you in violation, he may chop your pee pee off so if my job was at stake, I would delay the Pope frchrist sake. At least that is their version. I have had more problems and seen and heard more pilot in hot water because they canceled that I can see where the company is coming from. The only thing that has me concerned is what is this world coming to. Have we lost all sense of reasoning. I mean if a pilot cannot make a simple decision like that, what would happen if something happened that was not covered in the SOP's. Would they all just wander around in a fog till they crashed?. My only hope is that something more drastic compelled them to return to Seattle.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Soon pilots will be as programmed as an Airbus.

The way training has become no one is given the perogative of using common sense.

But hey Oldtimer, if you really want to feel discouraged and afraid just have a good look at some of the morons who are making all these new rules and cramming this automation of human beings down your throats.......

Thank God I finally seen the light and got out of commercial aviation.

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.

Return to “General Comments”