XC below 3,000 AGL

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Spinwmts
Rank 2
Rank 2

XC below 3,000 AGL

Post by Spinwmts »

Hi all, I'd like other pilots advice on the following:

The other day I was on a short XC with some pretty bad TB (shocker in the spring) at the cruising altitude I had picked which was 5,500 ASL. However, I found that at 2500 AGL the sailing was much smoother. So with only 50 NM to go, regular calls on 126.7 and checking the VNC to ensure obstacle clearance, I decided to continue at this relatively low cruising altitude .

So I'm just wondering what your thoughts are about cruising on a XC at the lower altitudes than 3,000 AGL where the hemispheric rule does not apply? My major concern is traffic avoidance as the rule is not in effect so traffic can be coming and going at all direction.
---------- ADS -----------

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: XC below 3,000 AGL

Post by Cessna 180 »

At my previous gig, we did 1000nm in a day at 300agl or lower. You'll be okay at that altitude. There's no obstacles save for mountains and rising terrain at 2500agl. Keep your eyes open for traffic. Radio calls and cruising altitude orders aren't going to save you from that anyways.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Perfectly fine. I used to do even thousands below IFR safe altitudes

Just don’t make a position report or you’ll have puppy mill pendants telling you that you’re at the wrong altitude (even though cruising orders don’t apply below 3000 AGL).

SR22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SR22 »

In those circumstances I'll often fly at 2,300 or 2,800 to avoid those that feel they have to be at 2,500

Skyhunter
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Skyhunter »

Flew from Kingston to Moose Jaw at 250' once. Climbed to circuit Altitude to land in YAM and YQT for gas. Look outside and don't hit shit.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Apart from the risk of hitting stuff (minimal if you use your eyeballs) the other thing about a low cruising altitude is that it will restrict your options if the engine quits. Don’t get me wrong, I often go places at 500agl or less, just be aware of that before you do it yourself.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I've flown my second plane more than 500 hours, and on several thousand mile XC's. I've only had it once to 5000 feet in all those years.

To best avoid traffic, watch where you're going! In an airport environment, listen lots, and broadcast at the required positions. Asking someone to report on 126.7 because you think that they could be in conflict with you ties up radio time, preventing the communications 126.7 is intended for. I get bored listening to all the location chatter on 126.7, so I don't have that frequency tuned, unless I need to call FS, or it's otherwise required. I just watch where I'm going. Flight Service once told me that "VFR" stands for visual flight rules, not vocal flight rules.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

"...not vocal flight rules..."

I like that. I think I'll add that to my snarky response to the "conflicting traffic..." mutts.

Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

SR22 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:34 am In those circumstances I'll often fly at 2,300 or 2,800 to avoid those that feel they have to be at 2,500
Likewise. People love even 500's for some reason so I usually aim right between them when I'm flying at lower altitudes unless I have a reason otherwise.

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

It's fine and a lot of fun as long as you know the risks:
-less options/time during emergency
-more difficult to navigate visually
-greater risk of bird strikes
-noise complaints (depending on where you live)
-obstacle clearance (obviously)
-poor nav aid/radar/radio reception at times (especially emergencies)

Also, remember to pay attention to the rules regarding overflying other aerodromes, parks, farms and wildlife sanctuaries.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Aside from not ploughing through zones at the wrong altitude, watch out for us low level people in helicopters and float planes. We live down low.

Spinwmts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spinwmts »

Thanks e1 for the input and perspective. I agree keep those eyes open is rule one (regardless of altitude)... So much more to see at the low altitudes as well.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Skyhunter wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:56 am Look outside and don't hit shit.
Good advice for any altitude.

As an aside, you're often safe in the Lower Mainland flying in the "devil's triangle" between Blunder Bay - Schitt Meadows - Abbyford, if you fly at 2,500'. Lots of schools have scared their students about the dangers of busting terminal airspace, so they seem to mostly fly lower than 2,500. :roll:

gwagen
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gwagen »

7ECA wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 3:18 pm
Skyhunter wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:56 am Look outside and don't hit shit.
Good advice for any altitude.

As an aside, you're often safe in the Lower Mainland flying in the "devil's triangle" between Blunder Bay - Schitt Meadows - Stabbotsford, if you fly at 2,500'. Lots of schools have scared their students about the dangers of busting terminal airspace, so they seem to mostly fly lower than 2,500. :roll:
fixed it for you^^^^^

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

Once did Empress Alberta to the Messina NY border crossing south of Ottawa @ 100 ft. and 110 knots in a Cheyenne and it was a hoot. Did it in two legs. Empress to Marathon on day one then high level to Ottawa for the night. Next day from the Messina border to Marathon. Our company was chartered by a pipeline builder to fly the pipeline route so they could bid on a new line being considered. Had a video camera pointed out a side window. Only problem was when we busted through the Southport ( Portage La Prairie) control zone without clearance but when we advised them we were following the pipeline, they were OK with that because an Aztec used to fly the route on a regular basis. My co-pilot had a problem wrapping his tongue around Petawawa but they cleared us through at our low altitude. That was all good until my co-pilot noticed the howitzers all lined up on the right side of a field so then I pointed out the targets the howitzers were pointed at on the left side. We, by the way, informed TC and they were OK with this one time only flight because we had a definite useful purpose.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I often fly a J3 below 3000 feet cross country! Sometimes without a radio even :) It depends on the machine, and circumstance. Yesterday I flew a Comanche cruising at 8500 feet.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

oldtimer wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:30 pm Once did Empress Alberta to the Messina NY border crossing south of Ottawa @ 100 ft. and 110 knots in a Cheyenne and it was a hoot. Did it in two legs. Empress to Marathon on day one then high level to Ottawa for the night. Next day from the Messina border to Marathon. Our company was chartered by a pipeline builder to fly the pipeline route so they could bid on a new line being considered. Had a video camera pointed out a side window. Only problem was when we busted through the Southport ( Portage La Prairie) control zone without clearance but when we advised them we were following the pipeline, they were OK with that because an Aztec used to fly the route on a regular basis. My co-pilot had a problem wrapping his tongue around Petawawa but they cleared us through at our low altitude. That was all good until my co-pilot noticed the howitzers all lined up on the right side of a field so then I pointed out the targets the howitzers were pointed at on the left side. We, by the way, informed TC and they were OK with this one time only flight because we had a definite useful purpose.
hmm seems like the exact same pipeline I used to fly... the aztec was what the pipeline builder used to own before they contracted the inspections :D.

Spinwmts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spinwmts »

Just Curious for these low level XC if you did file a flt plan, would you a give them an alt = 1000 agl and would they give you shit for using such a low altitude?

Spokes
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Spokes »

Give altitude as VFR.

Wahunga!
Spinwmts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spinwmts »

Spokes wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:33 am Give altitude as VFR.
Thanks, just learned something :)

Return to “General Comments”