Montreal area airplane parking/tie down spot information

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

vinzer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Montreal area airplane parking/tie down spot information

Post by vinzer »

Hello everyone!
I am in search for options and costs to tie down/park airplane (Diamond DA20) around Montreal west area.
So far I found several strips with asphalt such as: Les Cedres (CSS3), St Lazare (CST3), Salaberry de Valleyfield (CSD3) and Cornwall regional (CYCC).
Preferable to have a roof (hangar) parking rather than open air, but this not critical and may depends on costs. Most important is an atmosphere and people at the airfield.
I was thinking about Cornwall at first (my French is very poor and for uncontrolled airport it may be an issue?). Distance (about 80km) is not an issue, however of course closer is better.
Please share your recommendations/experience and information about parking/tie down costs if possible.
I was searching through treads on this forums and could not find anything similar so I hope this thread won't be a duplicate.
Thank you,
VicXray
---------- ADS -----------

Flying PA28-235C
Building RV-10
My RV10 YouTube Build Blog
DC_Pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Montreal area airplane parking/tie down spot information

Post by DC_Pilot »

Hey VicXray, I flew out of CST3 and CSS3, as well as CYCC for a while. (and visited CSD3)
Can't comment on parking/tie down costs but can most definitely comment on field condition and the people at the clubs.

CST3 is by far the best choice in this category. Well maintained strip (not full of potholes like CSS3, which you will most definitely end up with at least one flat tire if not worse). Great people and atmosphere. Friendly, in my experience. They have fly in breakfasts as well that are very popular. The french shouldn't be a problem there either.

From what I hear, CYCC is cheaper for parking costs, but I guess you pay for that in the time it takes to drive there and back. (about 40 mins leaving from st-lazare). The fuel is cheaper there too from what I remember, which is nice. But it is busier because of the school, where as CST3 is a little calmer. Friendly people there as well, from my experience.

CSD3 will probably be mostly french, but I can't comment with 100% certainty. All I know is I've never seen a plane take off or land there lol, maybe I just go at weird times..

CSS3.. stay away from it if you don't enjoy spending extra money on maintenance. lol

Your best bet would be to visit or call and speak with the ones who manage the aerodromes. That would probably answer your question of actual cost!

Let me know if you have any more questions, hopefully I can help you out!

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I made the mistake of stopping at Les Cedres last year, never again! They hadn't even cut the weeds off the taxiway and I was pushing them down with my wings (low wing). I could see the loose chunks of asphalt in the flare and almost left, wish I had except I was meeting somewhere there. Never again!

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
vinzer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by vinzer »

DC_Pilot and JasonE Thank you for your comments.
I will definatelly follow your recomendations and get in touch with managers at airports to figure out about costs.
It is sad that Les Cedres has negative feedbacks. It is so conviniently located next to HWY20. Anyway with my low wing I better stay away from uncut weeds and bad asphalt on runway )))

Flying PA28-235C
Building RV-10
My RV10 YouTube Build Blog

Return to “General Comments”