Aim to be a zero - Chris Hadfield

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Aim to be a zero - Chris Hadfield

Post by PilotDAR »

I shall quote Chris Hadfield, Page 181 of "An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth"...
Aim To Be A Zero

A friend of mine was once in a crowded elevator in Building Four South at JSC in Houston when a senior astronaut got on and just stood there, visibly impatient, waiting for someone to divine that he needed to go to the sixth floor, and push the button. "I didn't spend all those years in university to wind up pushing buttons in an elevator," he snapped. Incredibly enough, someone did it for him. This incident made such a big impression on my friend that I heard about it, and probably a lot of other people did, too. For me, it was a cautionary tale about the pitfalls of ever thinking of yourself as An Astronaut (or A Doctor, or A Whatever). To everyone else, you're just an arrogant guy on the elevator, craving significance.

Over the years, I've realized that in any new situation, whether it involves an elev tor, or a rocket ship, you will almost certainly be viewed in one of three ways. As a minus one: actively harmful, someone who creates problems, Or as a zero: your impact is neutral and doesn't tip the balance one way or the other, Or you'll be seen as a plus one: someone who actively adds value. Everyone wants to be a plus one, of course. But proclaiming your plus-one-ness at the outset almost guarantees you'll be perceived as a minus one, regardless of the skills you bring to the table or how you actually perform."
A recent group of threads in the flight training forum reminded me of this important theme. It seems that at least a few of the threads have been removed, perhaps by the original poster. 'Shame, some good posts in among the thread. Having read Chris' excellent book, and heard him make a very engaging presentation, I am inspired by his modesty. I think he's a person you could speak to, without his telling you how important he is. He's a plus one to me, I'll aim to be a zero to him, and anyone else. If we are important, other wise people will figure that out, we don't need to tell them, particularly in all capitals!
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Aim to be a zero - Chris Hadfield

Post by ahramin »

I thought the "aim to be a zero" philosophy was the best part of the book. Wish I had read that earlier in life. It's not so much what he says that I like about Chris Hadfield, it's the convincing way he says it.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Forgive me for repeating what was already said above but aside from the fact that his book was a joy to read, this particular "Aim to be a zero" was by a margin my favorite part of the book!

As much as I'd like to be that zero, I find it easy to talk the talk but much harder to walk the walk. Can't be blamed for trying though!

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

Very well put!

chris_h1976
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chris_h1976 »

PilotDAR thank you for sharing this. It's a great excerpt, and well relevant on this forum.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Why aim for zero? Why not a +1?

I don't think Hadfield would ever say to aim for zero because he never did a day in his life.

What he says in this quote is to not proclaim you are a +1 one. It comes off as arrogant.

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

Rockie wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:08 am Why aim for zero? Why not a +1?

I don't think Hadfield would ever say to aim for zero because he never did a day in his life.

What he says in this quote is to not proclaim you are a +1 one. It comes off as arrogant.
Awesome. Rockie just corrected Chris Hadfield. Rockie, whatever flaws you may have, inconsistency is not among them.

Meecka
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Meecka »

I've worked with Chris, he's a great guy. Humble, easy to just shoot the S@#t with. Hand him a rag and he has no problem helping wiping down the aircraft. Real class act.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

B208 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:06 am

Awesome. Rockie just corrected Chris Hadfield. Rockie, whatever flaws you may have, inconsistency is not among them.
Did you even read the quote? Rockie's right:
But proclaiming your plus-one-ness at the outset almost guarantees you'll be perceived as a minus one, regardless of the skills you bring to the table or how you actually perform.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Here is Hadfield’s philosophy on this boiled down:

-1 = hindrance
0 = neither a hindrance nor of any help
+1 = helping

In an endeavour like space flight which do you guys think is necessary? Which attitude do you think Hadfield adopted throughout his entire life?

B208

No...YOU are awesome.

Last edited by Rockie on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

I think he annoyed the hell out of everyone so they shot him into space. Then he turned into a +1 by making a youtube movie to earn his ride back

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

You're not that far off.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Last edited by pelmet on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

Rockie wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:49 am B208

No...YOU are awesome.
The jury is still out on that one.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

pelmet wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:01 am
B208 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:06 am

We could have a contest......how about each of us find their favourite Rockie quote on this forum, post it here and then compare with Chris's quote to see who fits the bill for arrogance. Search away......
I'm not sure what my level of arrogance has to do with this Pelmet, but do you have anything to add to the subject at hand? What do you think Chris Hadfield is saying with this quote?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

What Chris is saying here is that in a new environment, you can't be a +1. You need to learn to be a zero first (hence the title), then you can aim to be a +1.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Last edited by pelmet on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

I find it funny how many different interpretations people are giving to the words of an author who is still alive, from a book that is less than 5 years old.

Now imagine the book is X thousand years old and noboy knew the guy the book is about.

:wink:

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

pelmet wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:06 am Come on Rockie, you sound jealous. You are telling us that "he has never done a day in his life"? I suspect he busted his ass getting his qualifications.
Sometimes I wonder if I'm speaking a different dialect of english.

This sentence means: Hadfield never aimed for zero a day in his life, his only goal ever was to be a +1.

It is a sentence used to illustrate why previous posters misinterpret his quote as striving for zero. He never did and would never advocate it because in his mind that simply isn't good enough. Get it Pelmet?

How you can misinterpret that as jealousy or anything but what it simply states is beyond me.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

digits_ wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:14 am Now imagine the book is X thousand years old and noboy knew the guy the book is about.
A little sidebar, but bingo...

Return to “General Comments”