ATR vs Dash

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

ATR vs Dash

Post by C-GGGQ »

I'm currently on an extended vacation/ honeymoon in the Philippines and got to take a pair of flights on a small airlines Air Swift ATR. Not only was it clean and well laid out inside even with small lightweight seats there was plenty of leg room and I couldn't get over how QUIET it was. At feather the noise is less than a desk fan from inside even by the window. Take off and climb was less than a q400 at cruise I would say. Not sure from a pilots or maintenance perspective but as a passenger I know which one I prefer.
---------- ADS -----------

Liftdump
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: ATR vs Dash

Post by Liftdump »

I travel on a Canadian airline that operates the Q400 I can guarantee
that the Q does not stand for quiet like Bombardier advertised.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

It’s the wrong airplane for BC I can tell you that. Great Arctic or Prairie bird provided you don’t ice up. I’d take a 1900 over it any day if there were big pointy things along the route.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Zaibatsu wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:00 pm It’s the wrong airplane for BC I can tell you that. Great Arctic or Prairie bird provided you don’t ice up. I’d take a 1900 over it any day if there were big pointy things along the route.
Like I said. No idea about it performance wise, and would be interested In hearing from current/ past pilots on it. I have heard not great in ice (though no need here in the south pacific) hot and wet certainly don't seem to bother it. They fly into a small single strip called El Nido as a private airport just for this airline..

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

C-GGGQ wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:04 pm
Zaibatsu wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:00 pm It’s the wrong airplane for BC I can tell you that. Great Arctic or Prairie bird provided you don’t ice up. I’d take a 1900 over it any day if there were big pointy things along the route.
Like I said. No idea about it performance wise, and would be interested In hearing from current/ past pilots on it. I have heard not great in ice (though no need here in the south pacific) hot and wet certainly don't seem to bother it. They fly into a small single strip called El Nido as a private airport just for this airline..
Country must have moved since I was last in the area...

Underpowered airplanes suck!
They're bad when its cold and you have to deal with icing, and they're bad when its hot and humid too. Yeah, sure, its quiet... :roll:

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Boreas wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:07 pm
C-GGGQ wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:04 pm
Country must have moved since I was last in the area...

Underpowered airplanes suck!
They're bad when its cold and you have to deal with icing, and they're bad when its hot and humid too. Yeah, sure, its quiet... :roll:
Ok fair enough, equatorial pacific. Plenty south of Canada and not that far north of Australia.

MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrTurbine »

Liftdump wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:56 pm I travel on a Canadian airline that operates the Q400 I can guarantee
It does, just put the windshield wipers up , make sure the nvs is not inop , throttle back and get a better headset.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

MrTurbine wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:28 pm
Liftdump wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:56 pm I travel on a Canadian airline that operates the Q400 I can guarantee
It does, just put the windshield wipers up , make sure the nvs is not inop , throttle back and get a better headset.
I always chuckle when pilots complain about the noise but they use company issued garbage head sets or like DCs.

MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrTurbine »

Lightchop wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:20 am
MrTurbine wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:28 pm
I always chuckle when pilots complain about the noise but they use company issued garbage head sets or like DCs.
Absolutely! I’m planning on trying out the new Bose ear buds that just came out this month. They are meant for quieter turboprops and jets, but I assume it’ll work just fine on the Q.The A20s are great (a little overkill when the wipers are up), and clarity aloft works fantastic as well. I’ve tried the QCs with the Ufly mike, but they feel just like the lightspeed zulus.

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

The ATR is one of the best aircraft I've ever worked with as a ground handler. Lots of thought seemed to go into making the rampies' tasks more efficient.

PT6onH20
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PT6onH20 »

As a former Q400 driver, I was really pleased with my experience riding in the back of the ATR. It was SO quiet.

Cabin temperature stayed at reasonable levels too (we were flying in SE Asia!). The Q would consistently hit jungle sweat levels in the cabin if the OAT started flirting with the mid 20s.

Considering bombardier was able to add 30 feet or so to a Dash100 without spending more than $87, the Q400 is pretty impressive solely for the huge amount of power she has.

young grasshopper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by young grasshopper »

I love the ATR. I don’t have any experience operating the Q however I’ve never felt unsafe or been overwhelmed by icing in the ATR. Disclaimer- I’ve primarily flown it in Northern Canada, where we typically don’t have a lot of icing.

It’s a very simple airplane in terms of systems, and it has some excellent tools (think prop brake) to help you out with limited infrastructure. Also- 9900lbs of fuel for an airplane that burns +/-1500 lbs/hr gives you some excellent range and options when the whether is marginal at destination...if you can’t find an alternate with that kind of range- it’s probably best to not go flying.

The -300 is great, the -500 is better.

Again- I’ve never flown the Q (only the -6), but have nothing bad to say about the ATR.

JB

YG
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

The classic Dash has better STOL performance. Depending on where you fly, that may or may not matter.

Return to “General Comments”