China Airlines

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

SplitS
Rank 5
Rank 5

China Airlines

Post by SplitS »

Anyone do a pre-interview telephone interview with China airlines? If so, what did they ask you?

Got an email today requesting one....

Cheers,
SplitS
---------- ADS -----------

Keep flying till the noise stops.
Flightlevels
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Flightlevels »

I know a fellow here at wj who worked for em...said pretty bad place to work and not much will change in his view....called em the "gooks of hazzard" :lol:

metal overcast
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by metal overcast »

Hey SplitS
Check your PM's
cheers 8)

Snow Monkey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Snow Monkey »

Interviewed there 2 years ago. I wasn't too thrilled with their contract at all. As I understand it the pay schedule has decreased even further to the 4000/month US level and dropping.I have a friend there and he is itching to get out after less than a year regaurdless of the amount left on his bond.
The licence is worthless as you must obtain a Chinese ATPL which is not ICAO recognized and therefore the endorsement is useless once you leave as no one will recognise the licence. TPE is fairly pricey to live in. If you go to CAL go as a Captain!!
There is a huge thread on CAL on the Pprune site it should help you out. You have to ask yourself why is everyone trying to leave research is the key to your decision. If you are really hard up for work it maybe worth it however there is lots out there in the contract world these days that is much much better. The chance you will upgrade is slim to non as all the locals will by pass you whether they have the same experience or not.
Try CX they are supposed to be ramping up for hiring as well as NCA and Air Japan the Japanese can be difficult the work with due to their culture but are overall much better.
Good Luck

IFR Pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by IFR Pilot »

I recently went through their recruitment process and was offered a job on the 747 and decided not to take it, mostly because I was offered a job that was better suited to my personal situation in Canada.
TPE is a very different place and culture with very little english (except the airport), very polluted and busy.
However the people at CAL are very friendly, and since the TPE situation can easily turn people off, you can expect in your pre screening interview questions about what you know about TPE, how you can manage your life there, what you know about CAL and what you can do for them... I know many others offered a job there that didn't take it... Hope it helps and all the best...

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Take the job! Get the type, play in the orient for a while, then bog off and use your jet/international/etc/etc experience and bring it home to get on with somebody more interesting...great opportunity! Learn the language! Fly for Harmony! Flt for Skyservice! Fly for (shudder) Air Canada!

Break a leg!

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Flightlevels...

It's a good thing WestJet is based in Alberta where I presume it's OK to call people "gooks".

Not too funny dickhead.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

MASTER CAUTION

I have heard that the Taiwan licence/type rating is not to ICAO standards and therefore, not transferable. I cannot vouch for that as a "for sure, for sure," but maybe a call to TC will be a quarter well spent to see if you can transfer the Type Rating to your Canadian Licence after all is said and done.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
metal overcast
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by metal overcast »

You are right.
Your 747 or what ever type you find your self on cannot be transferred to your Canadian license at the end of the day.

prop2jet
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by prop2jet »

The Taiwanese licence is not as previously mentioned an ICAO recognized licence and therefore the type rating cannot be transferred over to your Canadian ATP. Your options would be, if you were to take the job, eventually do a check ride back in Canada on CAE's sim and get the endorsement on the licence. All the training at CAL is done to ICAO standard - take that for what it's worth.

Your other option, if you have an FAA ATP (unrestricted) would be to transfer the licence to your FAA ATP. The Yanks do things a little different. From there it can be moved to your Canadian...

IFR Pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by IFR Pilot »

Even if you can't transfer your endorsement to your Canadian ATPL you still have the experience and its not like theres any 747 operators left in Canada anyway... If your only going for the time then go for it, but will it really help in the long run? I asked myself if I would go there to fly a smaller plane, and I personally wouldn't... Then why the big one... Maybe Honk Kong, but not TPE...

Snow Monkey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Snow Monkey »

Flightlevels wrote:the "gooks of hazzard" :lol:
Not a cool comment to make man! Those comments are completely unacceptable in this day and age.
For one who is in the position you are you should know better !

SplitS
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SplitS »

Thanks for the input guys - all good comments and I was aware of the pitfalls. I dont think Im gonna take it - I cant see dragging the family to Taiwan - no thanks. Happiness isn't based on the size of the plane you drive.
My company is getting RJ's so I'll get on those I imagine soon enough. Of course Ac should be calling anyday anyhow.... :roll:

Keep flying till the noise stops.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

" Not a cool comment to make man! Those comments are completely unacceptable in this day and age. "

unfortunately human nature being what it is we will always have these comments being made...I think it is all about differences between cultures..

Do you believe that you can force people to " think right" ?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Snow Monkey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Snow Monkey »

Cat Driver wrote:[
unfortunately human nature being what it is we will always have these comments being made...I think it is all about differences between cultures..

Yep you are right. These kind of racial slurs will always be made. How is it a difference between cultures though?

Do you believe that you can force people to " think right" ?
Nope you can't force people to think right, however a little common sense and fore thought goes a long way to ease any kind of tensions.
Anyway this isn't a racial slur thread its about CAL.
Good luck in the future Split S. If its overseas you want checkout Hawaii aviation they hire for NCA ,Air Japan and JALWays

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Cat Driver wrote:Do you believe that you can force people to " think right" ?
I don't think you can. People have to decide for themselves who they want to be. But if enough people call someone on their racist attitude maybe they'll look a little closer and reevaluate the type of person they are or want to be and make a move in the right direction.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

" But if enough people call someone on their racist attitude maybe they'll look a little closer and reevaluate the type of person they are or want to be and make a move in the right direction. "

How do we persuade them in other countries not to be racist against us P.C. Canadians?

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
desksgo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by desksgo »

Simple: "Me love you long time"

Springbok
Rank 5
Rank 5

Altiplano

Post by Springbok »

Altiplano says Flightlevels...
It's a good thing WestJet is based in Alberta where I presume it's OK to call people "gooks". Not too funny dickhead. don't think you can. People have to decide for themselves who they want to be. But if enough people call someone on their racist attitude maybe they'll look a little closer and reevaluate the type of person they are or want to be and make a move in the right direction.

Flightlevels made the comment in jest! Why dont you get your head out of your arse and get a sense of humour you miserable twat.

You have the knack of popping up in Forums just to piss on other peoples parades which is fine but stop being so f-cking prissy and so irritatingly overly politically correct, the guy was joking for f-cks sake! You have no idea of the concept of racism, especially if you call Flightlevels comment racist. Lighten up and get an education by visiting some stand-up comedy scenes where people from all races jokingly take the piss out of other nationalities or go and live somewhere where racial discrimination is practiced. People like you are a real pain in the arse.

Calling people gooks, wops, spicks, wetbacks, coolies, slants, rag heads, yanks, pommies, red necks, munts, wagon burners, frogs, eyeties, krauts, ruskies, honkey`s etc etc in JEST is a part of life and is meaningless when done in this way and should not be linked to the practice of racism. On radio Q107 (Toronto) I have heard many instances where peoples nationalities are jokingly refered to in the same way.

Look at the silver screen or do you stay away in case someone uses the word nigger or whitey. I suppose the new movie "Jarhead" is also racist in your eyes as they take the piss out of the Arabs!

Go cry racism somewhere else ya silly git!

Snow monkey, with this comment you made, I place you in the same boat with Altiplano:

Not a cool comment to make man! Those comments are completely unacceptable in this day and age. For one who is in the position you are you should know better !

Last edited by Springbok on Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE WILLING TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE: CARL BOENISH

Not to be confused with Springjob, Handjob, Blowjob or any other job......except a flyingjob!
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

hey Springbok, you forgot to add Dune Monkeys. :D

Return to “General Comments”