Thinking about plane purchase

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Thinking about plane purchase

Post by C.W.E. »

For me it would be the Lake Buccaneer hands down.

If you have not flown a flying boat it is imperative you get proper training from someone that is qualified to teach on the lake....

..... flying boats are not float planes as they have vastly different handling qualities.
---------- ADS -----------

matt17
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by matt17 »

Thought I would come back to this thread as it provided a lot of good information previously. I have been keeping my eye out for planes and a few have piqued my interest. The more I look at things I would love to get a 172 with a 180hp engine and bigger floats (Larger than the CAP/EDO2000s) for the increased load. I have yet to come across one that would be in my budget (Not sure if it even would be in budget). However I have come across a few that have either the 180hp conversion or bigger floats. Does anyone feel willing to provide some thoughts on which of these would be more valuable (180hp vs larger than 2000 floats) all else being equal (knowing that no two planes will really ever be exactly the same).

AR705
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AR705 »

Depends on what you want to do most of the time. Training and flying light with 2 ppl, you don’t need either. But if loaded weight goes up, you want bigger floats first, believe me!! As I said above, went from Cap2000s to aqua 2200s this year. A couple months since my last post and I can say with more authority that it was a good decision!! Plane handles rough water and turns in the wind soo much better. And gets on step right away, even at gross. I would not want 180hp without bigger floats. Won’t be able to use that extra load safely, not to mention the useful load will actually be less as the 180 conversion does add some weight. And floats are stuck at 2220 gross weight max. But, I reiterate, if just starting out and keeping it light, 2000 floats are fine. Get plane with The 180 ho conversion as that costs more than trading up floats. Takes awhile to find bigger floats but you’ll be flying in the meantime and in the end have a great plane! Oh and forgot, usually bigger floats to get you 2550 gross are only stc’d for 180hp. So check that if you go floats before engine.

sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sheephunter »

Matt17, where exactly is small town Northern Ontario located. Might help with peoples suggestions or options.

oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

have you considered cessna 175 there is a guy in fort mac that has one for sale on floats and there are a couple on the usual websites for sale. though older they have good useful load decent op cost and afforable to buy on tight budget //just my 2 cents, :?: good luck with search

matt17
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by matt17 »

Thought I would come back to update this thread. I had been looking for a float plane for several years, more seriously last year and this year (harder with the current market) and I recently purchased 172D on floats that is in the Owner Maintenance category. Did my refresher training in it and flew it home last week. While either a bigger plane or 180hp 172 would have been nicer this one fits my current budget/experience. I will fly it as is for a few years to build experience then decide if it is enough plane or if I need something different. In the mean time I will enjoy actually being able to fly when I want to (nearest rental planes are 5-6 hours south).

CruiserNU
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CruiserNU »

I bought a home-built PA-12 replica ten years ago and I'm happy with the way things have worked out. The conventional gear is more fun than a nose-dragger and those who say it will make you a better pilot may be right. Mine is 160 hp with flaps, PA-18 tail and landing gear and extended wings. It's on Clamar 2200 floats or Datum wheel-skis. No need for wheel gear where I live. I go directly from skis to floats and back, June and September. The tail-dragger, especially a light one like mine, makes a great ski-plane. Since you can only take one passenger with an RPP, don't overlook a tandem seat taildragger. Mine is hangared but I'd have no hesitation to store it outside with good tie-downs. Mine will certainly outperform a 172, especially on floats. With a belly pod I can carry the same bulk and more weight than a 172.
Don't be afraid to do your own maintenance. An aircraft like mine is a simple machine and any conscientious person who can read can maintain a home-built to high standards.

CruiserNU
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CruiserNU »

But I see you've already made a purchase. Congratulations!

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Nice! Good to see something uplifting on the internet for a change. Rock on pal.

Return to “General Comments”