Does Anyone Have a Dog?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flyingjerry
Rank 2
Rank 2

Does Anyone Have a Dog?

Post by flyingjerry »

Throughout my childhood, members of my family have been allergic to dogs and so we never had one. Recently, I've been doing research on what dogs would adapt well to having their human have a sporadic schedule with lots of time away from home. Right now it seems like a cat might be a better option (yikes).

What type of dogs do you all have and what do you do when you're away on pairings?
---------- ADS -----------

20DMEYYZ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Does Anyone Have a Dog?

Post by 20DMEYYZ »

i wouldn't recommend it for both you or the dog unless you have a reliable "roommate" or neighbour to assist.
also, younger and older dog's require more companionship and care so at those stages of their live's it wouldn't be ideal to be left unattended for long.

MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrTurbine »

💯 % agree with the above ^

Also, we have a Yorkie terrier, non - shedding and hypoallergenic, fantastic dog. Easy to train, small and fun to have in a small house/condo.
She’s basically a cat. From when we first got her (8weeks old), we didn’t tolerate her barking at all, unless there was someone at the door or if she was playing with us. So she’s super quiet.

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

Please PLEASE do not get a dog until you can seriously commit to one. Dog are pack animals, and often do not do well without their pack. Dogs need socialization, both with humans and other dogs. Even a cat is a commitment.

I waited many, many years until I knew that I could honor that commitment. I have an awesome hubby and amazing neighbors for support when I can not be home.

Please think hard on it before you jump :)

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

Yes, have two. A Pitty and a Shepherd/Mastiff. The only way you can make a dog work and be a pilot is if you have a spouse willing to take up the slack when you're out of town, or a roommate. The shepherd my girlfriend had before we met and after living together for almost a year she wanted to get her a brother so we rescued a Pitty from Ontario. Made sure she understood that she may have to take care of the dogs for possibly multiple months at a time depending on where my career takes me... Sure enough I'm off flying a Beaver for the summer and didn't bring the dogs with me.

I would highly suggest fostering a dog for a few months to see if you can make it happen, I have zero sympathy or respect for people who get rid of their dog shortly after getting it. Also, consider adopting. They can sometimes be a little more work (especially a dog that's grown up on a rez) but they ultimately want nothing more than to be loved and will reciprocate that feeling towards you.

Last edited by TheRealMcCoy on Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrTurbine »

Also, find a good dog sitter, or two, always have a backup plan. Or use websites like rover.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Dont get one until your stable in your career and settled down with a partner who wants a dog and is home when you're not. Puppies need as much work as babies, they need constant attention, patience and training. Leave your dog alone and you're in for destroyed property and behavioral problems. Want a part time dog, take up a part time job dog walking.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Cat's are evil. You don't adopt a cat, they chose if they want to adopt you!

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Cat's what are evil? And how does Cat feel about the insinuation?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Canuck1988
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Canuck1988 »

photofly wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:42 pm Cat's what are evil? And how does Cat feel about the insinuation?

That sounds like something a cat would say... :shock: :shock: :shock:

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Most of the time a dog with behavioural issues is actually a dog that isn’t getting enough exercise, which can be really tough on the days you work. Also most dogs need to be let outside to use the bathroom every 8 ish hours at the most when they are an adult puppies are lucky to get 2 hours between accidents if they aren’t let outside.

If you don’t have a 9-5 spouse plan to spend a few hundred a month on dog daycare/ kennels as well. Overall if you want a pet get a cat but even then it’s not fair to them to be alone all the time and will still require some attention.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

fish4life wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:04 pm If you don’t have a 9-5 spouse...
what is a 9-5 spouse outside those hours??

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yhz41 »

photofly wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:19 am
fish4life wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:04 pm If you don’t have a 9-5 spouse...
what is a 9-5 spouse outside those hours??
A dog sitter

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

I have many dogs, but I also have a wife. If not for her reasonably consistent schedule I would have zero dogs.

Return to “General Comments”