Manitoba Govt Air Services to be Privatised

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

greygoose
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Manitoba Govt Air Services to be Privatised

Post by greygoose »

FAF wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:03 pm Just heard that skycare is 1 of 3 possibles for the medevac RFP. Anyone know who the other 2 are?
I can’t possibly see this being true. The Navajos will be a no go according to the RFP requirements. Aircraft need to be twin turbine at very minimum. Could you have heard SkyNorth perhaps? Heard from a couple folk they put together quite the package including a lot of heavily upgraded/new equipment. Plus I never knew this, but they are actually majority aboriginal owned.
---------- ADS -----------

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Skycare has Merlins and Metros. They're twin turbine, but certainly no King Air.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Except Skycare has no metros in Manitoba, and their YAV base is too small to have them. So unless they also plan to open a new base somewhere.... Sky North makes more sense

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

FAF wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:03 pm Just heard that skycare is 1 of 3 possibles for the medevac RFP. Anyone know who the other 2 are?
Fast and Keewatin?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
The Hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Hammer »

Fast Air/Babcock and Perimeter or Keewatin?

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

Does that mean missinippi is out of the running?

greygoose
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by greygoose »

I think there’s enough question marks and comments that don’t make sense to assume nobody really knows what’s going on yet.

bcat737
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bcat737 »

So Vanguard Air Care is running around telling everyone they have the RFP Ambulance contract (however it has not been announced). They are making a concerted effort to poach AMS medic staff from other carriers using this statement even though it is not true - real greasy!

They even have their rampies / internal staff approaching pilots and AMS staff from other companies as they are offering a huge headhunting bonus to attract staff - typical how they operate ... too bad their wages are still poor.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

For their current 24/7 on call schedule abuse? Or at least decent shifts?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
greygoose
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by greygoose »

bcat737 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:37 am So Vanguard Air Care is running around telling everyone they have the RFP Ambulance contract (however it has not been announced). They are making a concerted effort to poach AMS medic staff from other carriers using this statement even though it is not true - real greasy!

They even have their rampies / internal staff approaching pilots and AMS staff from other companies as they are offering a huge headhunting bonus to attract staff - typical how they operate ... too bad their wages are still poor.
This statement is true. If there is truth to them having the RFP then the Gov went pretty tame on the 5 year safety history/reports that was required to be submitted with the package. Did they not have a gear up and overrun within a matter of months a few years back? Both the fault of the crews? I recall seeing a mangled king air in bloodvein with tape over the logo and registration, lol.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

greygoose wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:40 am
bcat737 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:37 am So Vanguard Air Care is running around telling everyone they have the RFP Ambulance contract (however it has not been announced). They are making a concerted effort to poach AMS medic staff from other carriers using this statement even though it is not true - real greasy!

This statement is true. If there is truth to them having the RFP then the Gov went pretty tame on the 5 year safety history/reports that was required to be submitted with the package. Did they not have a gear up and overrun within a matter of months a few years back? Both the fault of the crews? I recall seeing a mangled king air in bloodvein with tape over the logo and registration, lol.
To be fair, other operators have their issues as well. I wouldn't hold that against them.

greygoose
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by greygoose »

digits_ wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:59 am
greygoose wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:40 am

To be fair, other operators have their issues as well. I wouldn't hold that against them.
I guess that’s a fair statement. I’m only aware of the companies in province that put bids in but no knowledge of anyone else from outside of province who may have put in. You’d be correct that everyone in province has had their moments. My understanding is the Gov was only interested in the last 5 years of history so there is one or two companies who’ve had less major incidents in that timeframe than fast/vanguard.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Actually, they might not consider those 2 accidents: they happened under the fast air OC. The medevac contract application happened under the vanguard OC. They haven't had any accidents soo far.

greygoose
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by greygoose »

digits_ wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:57 am Actually, they might not consider those 2 accidents: they happened under the fast air OC. The medevac contract application happened under the vanguard OC. They haven't had any accidents soo far.
Well in that case they should be knocked out even quicker because the company needs 5 years experience doing medevac service under the OC.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

greygoose wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:05 am
digits_ wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:57 am Actually, they might not consider those 2 accidents: they happened under the fast air OC. The medevac contract application happened under the vanguard OC. They haven't had any accidents soo far.
Well in that case they should be knocked out even quicker because the company needs 5 years experience doing medevac service under the OC.
Hehe, interesting...

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Seems about right with governments now a days. 6 months before the AB health contract was awarded, Canwest had already purchased the aircraft for it.

Medevac1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Medevac1 »

News to me.. I know many pilots and others at FastAir /Vanguard and they have not said once that they won the contract.

Medevac1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Medevac1 »

No one has won the contract yet. There is a lot of speculation being made by many. I know many pilots at FA/VG and not one of them has said they won it. So some individuals need to stop fueling the conspiracy theory.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

Knowing some guys in the program, I’d think that they’d need to keep it pretty secret until they’ve decided exactly what is going to happen. My understanding is that Lifeflight is walking a very fine line in terms of personnel; announcing a shutdown for, say, a month down the road might end up with a service that falls apart the next week as guys find other jobs..

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
kvny16r
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kvny16r »

Through the grapevine, I heard the doctors in the Manitoba medevac program won't fly unless it's a jet....

Return to “General Comments”