Trip report - East to West and back

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Mooney21
Rank 1
Rank 1

Trip report - East to West and back

Post by Mooney21 »

I just returned from a trip to Whitehorse and back to CSE4 with my RV-10. Very good service at FBO's across the country. Cheapest fuel was at CYXY, most expensive at CYQT, $2.50/Ltr and $65. ramp fee on top and it took them 20 min to make up the invoice. Best service was at Grande-Prairie, Alta. - Happy Fuel - New courtesy van overnight and great people. Esso (Jet Center) in Winnipeg - always good service with free transport to hotel.

Michel
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Trip report - East to West and back

Post by Bede »

You should have stopped at Kakabeka Falls instead of YQT. Fuel is $1.85. Free parking, and lots of nice flying club members to help you out. Just call ahead.

SkySailor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Trip report - East to West and back

Post by SkySailor »

Congrats on the enjoyable and safe X/C, Mooney21!
Long trips across this country have impressed upon me how good our aviation system is in such a vast area as Canada. We must constantly watch and ensure this does not deteriorate. I passed through YQT with a Tripacer in 2012. Spent a night at the Shell (Maintair?) FBO. Don't remember the fuel pricing. The costs you recently experienced would have had me thinking of other locations. Waiting for the fog to lift the next morning, had an interesting conversation with a local "old timer". While observing the little piston Tripacer looking quite out of place mixed with turbine powered big stuff, he commented how rare it was to see this type aircraft on the ramp. He mentioned how often they would be seen back in the sixties, seventies, even early eighties, but now, once or twice a year. Sad commentary on the state of general aviation.
Traveling to general aviation friendly airports across Canada allows visitors to experience the personality and individuality of each location. Some locations are quiet, others, a vibrant aviation atmosphere. Always fun to taxi in, shut down, let the summer breeze in, find facilities, read the local ad/notices board (whats for sale? How much? Wow, that's pricey!!), then wander around checking out neat stuff. Always meeting great people, and lots of fascinating conversations. In Marathon ON, fueling at the self serve cardlock pump, talking to the Ornge guys about their S-72, while they reminisce about hours spent in a Tripacer!
In 2015, spent some time camping under the wing. Again, lots of helpful people willing to share info about the airport and local community. Every airport has rules on paper about camping on site, but might "forget" these, if you quietly just do your thing. That means NO campfires!!! Spent a couple days in Kapuskasing. Tied down in front of the flying club (thanks guys!). Terminal building for using the "facilities". Nothing like having the Bearskin Metro start up in the morning to remind you that tents aren't know for sound insulation! But hey, nothing beats the smell of burnt jet fuel in the morning!
Anyway, congrats again! Good memories to last a life time!! Cheers to crossing a great country in your own aircraft!!

Return to “General Comments”