Changing from normal to utility category

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

knackebrod
Rank 1
Rank 1

Changing from normal to utility category

Post by knackebrod »

If I have an aircraft (let's say a C172) that is listed as 'normal' on it's C of A. What would I need to do to change that to the 'utility' category? Or is that not possible once it's listed as 'normal'?
(this question concerns aircraft models that are certified to be listed as utility aircraft)
---------- ADS -----------

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Changing from normal to utility category

Post by AuxBatOn »

Nothing. The TCDS specifies it is authorized in the utility category per the POH.

Going for the deck at corner
knackebrod
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by knackebrod »

How is it possible some C172's are listed as 'normal' and others as 'utility' then?
Where can I find this in the CARS?

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

172's, 150's and 152's are all certified in both the normal and utility category. You can operate them in the category of your choice without regulatory change, as long as you conform to the POH/Flight Manual limitations for the category. For the 172, this means a limited aft C of G range, and the resulting prohibition on back seat passengers. The main difference in the case of the Cessna 172 is that you can intentionally spin it in the utility category, but not the normal category. There is a difference in spin recovery compliance between these categories, though spin testing is done in both categories. It's simply harder to recover if you have the C of G aft of the utility aft limit.

As long as you conform to the limitations for utility category, you can fly maneuvers described for that category without any further "permission", you're still within the certification for the aircraft, and your C of A and insurance are still valid. Do take note though of other mods (STOL kits, for example) which may prohibit certain maneuvers, effectively removing utility category from that particular plane. You'll know this, because you've read the flight manual supplement(s) for any mods.

If you're spinning a 172, get competent instruction, and don't be foolish and mess about with people in the back seat. It is a certainty that there have been fatal accidents in 172's, which would probably not have been accidents at all, were there not to have been people in the back seat when the pilot said "watch this...".

Return to “General Comments”