No paint? good god!!

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

cyxe
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cyxe »

Personally, I think it could look pretty slick.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/937305/L/
---------- ADS -----------

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

Machiavelli wrote:"These days spend a dime save a nickel bla bla bla..." there Jacques? I'd like to know when it wasn't that way at ol' ACE or Air Canada or Jazz or Zip or Tango.

The shit leopards haven't changed there spots yet...

Stripping that "blue" is actually the best idea to come out of ACE HQ in a long time.
I can't wait till the next TPB season! Oh how I miss those guys. :lol:

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

I think the polished metal with the light blue tails will look pretty good. What's all the bitching about?

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

All Metros come from the factory with wings, engine nacelles and horizontal stab unpainted. Better lightning strike protection that way. Most corperate Merlins are painted and they do not perform as well as the naked Metros when operated at the same weight. Full paint was an option on all Cessna airplanes until the early 60's. Otherwise, you got a bare unpainted airplane with only fuselage speed lines painted on. Looked sharp when painted but hard to keep clean.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
scabber
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by scabber »

I am sure it will look slick, that is not the point.

The point is, that AC is thinking of doing it to save money, which, in my opinion is ridiculous.

Blackchang
Rank 0
Rank 0

no paint

Post by Blackchang »

Scabber, its really not so ridiculous. A painted airliner requires a repaint every 6-8 years. Stripping, prepping and painting a vessel that big is a huge job, manpower and materials to do this are insanely expensive. Washing a painted airliner every so often takes about 2 days and is usually done in conjunction with a major service but still costs mucho dinero in labor. A minimally painted aircraft can look at least as good as a fully painted one.
A popular book about 747's once calculated that the cost of carting around 1 extra satchel of sugar in the comissary for one year in a passenger 747 as 1 gallon of fuel. Trust me, with an airplane that flies as much as an airliner, every little bit counts.
On a sidenote, everyone that scoffs at costcutting measures by the large airlines are usually the first to bitch about the price of a ticket when they want to fly somewhere. When you see Air Canada or Westjet doing something to save money, stop and think! They're ultimately trying to save you money so you can afford to visit your dear old white haired Nana. Smarten up!

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: no paint

Post by Right Seat Captain »

Blackchang wrote: A painted airliner requires a repaint every 6-8 years.
Okay, but they just repainted the fleet last April.

Mitch Cronin
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: no paint

Post by Mitch Cronin »

Right Seat Captain wrote:Okay, but they just repainted the fleet last April.
No. The airplanes are only being painted in the new colours as they come due for paint. This one was due (before which, they would strip all the old paint anyway) and they decided to polish the fuselage instead... the engine cowls and tail have been painted.

We still have several with the old paint scheme and they'll remain that way until they too need paint.

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

I stand corrected. :)

Croissant Wrench
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Croissant Wrench »

How nice, another thinly veiled Westjet thread.

Let's see, I want to go to Athens, Greece...I'll just check Westjets schedule and fares...WHAT they don't go there...well where do they go, let me check...Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver...ok...a few other Canadian cities and a couple of over served US cities...yes, well I guess that provides good competition for Air Canada...well maybe Perimeter.

Canus Chinookus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Canus Chinookus »

wtf are you talking about wrenchie?

WJflyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by WJflyer »

The links to the images of the 767:
http://www.achorizons.ca/en/issues/2005 ... silver.htm
It's hideous! It looks like a class of high school shop students sanded and polished this plane! Air Canada could use a lesson in polishing airplanes.

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

I agree that it looks as though the polishing was poorly done, but I kind of like the vintage look of the fuselage combined with the modern paint job on the tail. I still prefer their previous paint scheme.

Rebel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rebel »

Hmm fin 613 is probably 20 years old, looks pretty good for an old airframe and it’s about to re-make modern Canadian aviation history if the test proves successful..

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

I saw this plane today in YVR - and all I can say is.....................................BLAH! this is the fuglyest paint job I've seen! It's embaressing! It makes the toothpaste blue scheme look good.

It might be alright if they didn't use that blue - it just looks tacky. Usually bare metal looks good (AA, JAL, etc..)

grammar boy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by grammar boy »

Rebel wrote:Hmm fin 613 is probably 20 years old, looks pretty good for an old airframe and it’s about to re-make modern Canadian aviation history if the test proves successful..
Holy crap Rebel, you must be part of the AC spin machine. "Canadian aviation history"? Yeah, it's the first bare metal plane in Canadian aviation history. :roll:

Blue_Rider
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blue_Rider »

[]D
WJflyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by WJflyer »

Still ugly... blue tail and engine doesn't help... if they painted the engine gray, and used the older dark green tail, then yes, it will look somewhat ok...

VSF
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by VSF »

hmmmmm

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/960515/L/

part of me likes it better than the mint green.. but...

Rebel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rebel »

[quote="grammar boyHoly crap Rebel, you must be part of the AC spin machine. "Canadian aviation history"? Yeah, it's the first bare metal plane in Canadian aviation history. :roll:[/quote]

It's a test paint design to find the best way to save $24,000 annually in fuel costs and still satisfy many other parameters. The final design is not cast in stone by any means and will be adjusted as all the parameters are evaluated.. You WJ folks sure have a lot to learn..

Actually since you appear not to know, the first bare metal Canadian aircraft belonged to TCA so we know what were doing.

Last edited by Rebel on Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Comments”