Considering moving on, military to civilian?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

AirCanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Considering moving on, military to civilian?

Post by AirCanuck »

Hey all,

A friend of mine in the civvie side recently contacted me with what seems like a decent opportunity.

I have around 1800TT, probably about 180 PIC, with around 140 of that being on a 4 engine turboprop. Lots of experience flying in challenging situations (warzones, complex scenarios low over water etc). I also have a university aviation degree from the CAM program at Western.

What I'm looking for is input from two crowds:

The first is military folks who've gone civilian. What are the pros and cons? What was transitioning like? What is the best part, what's the worst? And did you feel that a military flying career prepared you for flying civilian?

The second is input from anyone currently flying for Cargojet. That is the company I am currently considering for the FO 767 position. What is the company/corporate culture like? What is the work like? Are you ALWAYS in at night or can you eventually bid for daytime routes? Any links to current payscales, benefits, medical/dental type info? Any info at all really on it.

Thank you for your time,

Cheers,
---------- ADS -----------

Dyngwal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Considering moving on, military to civilian?

Post by Dyngwal »

Pm sent

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

AirCanuck wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:05 am Hey all,

A friend of mine in the civvie side recently contacted me with what seems like a decent opportunity.

I have around 1800TT, probably about 180 PIC, with around 140 of that being on a 4 engine turboprop. Lots of experience flying in challenging situations (warzones, complex scenarios low over water etc). I also have a university aviation degree from the CAM program at Western.

The first is military folks who've gone civilian. What are the pros and cons? What was transitioning like? What is the best part, what's the worst? And did you feel that a military flying career prepared you for flying civilian?

The second is input from anyone currently flying for Cargojet. That is the company I am currently considering for the FO 767 position. What is the company/corporate culture like? What is the work like? Are you ALWAYS in at night or can you eventually bid for daytime routes? Any links to current payscales, benefits, medical/dental type info? Any info at all really on it.

Thank you for your time,

Cheers,
Welcome home, and thank you for your service.

S.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:37 am
AirCanuck wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:05 am Hey all,

Thank you for your time,

Cheers,
Welcome home, and thank you for your service.

S.
Agreed.

Thankyou for your service. (Sadly I don’t think most Canadians recognize what our gals and boys overseas do!)

All the best,
TPC

AirCanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AirCanuck »

Thank you guys for your support. I'm very proud to serve folks like you. We have an amazing country.

Return to “General Comments”