This is NOT the aviation of 5 years ago

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Re: This is NOT the aviation of 5 years ago

Post by Old fella »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:33 pm Doesn't change the fact those guys are still sitting on first year flat pay, flying a heavy. Heavy metal aside, that's pretty pathetic.

Blinded by the shiny tin - I'm sure after 4 years they'll make some respectable coin - or snake the type rating, grab an LOA and head off to China.

S.
I would never entertain the notion to pass commentary on the motivations of AC pilots. Having said that and from what I have read on this site, AC pilot ranks are filled with those from WJ/Encore/Jazz/Porter/AT/Sunwing to name a few. Of course, not forgetting those from the Corporate world and the Military whom are equally as good pilots. I will go out on a limb and suggest the flow is in the Air Canada direction from the groups I mentioned not the other way around, however I could be wrong there. Just my typical useless two cents worth.
---------- ADS -----------

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

How are they going to get RPs if FO is going to new hires?

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Those 777 FO spots are showing new hire on the interm bid. The bid closes August 1st, guys have probably not bid it because they probably didn’t think they could hold it. If you are off flat pay it’s a big raise and less flying. You can bet those spots will be filled by senior guys once the bid closes.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

OP's job ad appears to have just been posted today, so I don't know how those three people applied already, or how the rest of us were supposed to know about it: viewtopic.php?p=1046506#p1046506

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Diadem wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:59 pm OP's job ad appears to have just been posted today, so I don't know how those three people applied already, or how the rest of us were supposed to know about it: viewtopic.php?p=1046506#p1046506
Probably a repost. There was an older one before.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Old fella wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:19 pm
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:33 pm Doesn't change the fact those guys are still sitting on first year flat pay, flying a heavy. Heavy metal aside, that's pretty pathetic.

Blinded by the shiny tin - I'm sure after 4 years they'll make some respectable coin - or snake the type rating, grab an LOA and head off to China.

S.
I would never entertain the notion to pass commentary on the motivations of AC pilots. Having said that and from what I have read on this site, AC pilot ranks are filled with those from WJ/Encore/Jazz/Porter/AT/Sunwing to name a few. Of course, not forgetting those from the Corporate world and the Military whom are equally as good pilots. I will go out on a limb and suggest the flow is in the Air Canada direction from the groups I mentioned not the other way around, however I could be wrong there. Just my typical useless two cents worth.
Fair comment Old Fella.

S.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Diadem wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:59 pm OP's job ad appears to have just been posted today, so I don't know how those three people applied already, or how the rest of us were supposed to know about it: viewtopic.php?p=1046506#p1046506
I believe they reposted it, as the job area is littered with stickies which move freshly posted jobs to page 2 practically right away.

They took away the 2W On / 1 W Off schedule.

S.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

no LOA is going to be offered, either you fly that or you don't. also, LOA doesn't add to years of service for pay, all you do is keep your DOH your first 4 years pay is still the first 4 years that you work

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:15 am
I believe they reposted it, as the job area is littered with stickies which move freshly posted jobs to page 2 practically right away.

S.
They literally didn't change a single word, just throw the same bait on the same hook and re cast to see if they get any other nibbles. OP told us about the schedule, Skyservice isn't showing any cards at all.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

co-joe wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:07 pm
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:15 am

S.
They literally didn't change a single word, just throw the same bait on the same hook and re cast to see if they get any other nibbles. OP told us about the schedule, Skyservice isn't showing any cards at all.
Gotcha, wasn't sure.

S.

bearitus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bearitus »

I am sure there would be more applicants if you clearly listed the pay... I am looking for a way out of the regionals because I can't support my family on an FO salary and wouldn't mind going corporate if the pay was right.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

bearitus wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:21 am I am sure there would be more applicants if you clearly listed the pay... I am looking for a way out of the regionals because I can't support my family on an FO salary and wouldn't mind going corporate if the pay was right.
Pay is whatever you can negotiate, no unions on this side of the fence, so time to dust the balls off and step up ;)

Find yourself a quiet operation, with easy going owners, also pop into the corporate section, under CBAA salaries, you should be able to find the expected salary rates based on the MTOW of jet.

I still think the sweet spot in corporate is the super-mids, Challenger 300s, G280s, Falcon 2000s, Sovereigns for lifestyle. Just far enough that you get some good pairings, but not too far that you are away for weeks at a time.

S.

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

How does one go about networking in the corporate world?

atpl53
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by atpl53 »

To all of the guys and gals who took the time to respond and send in a resume, I say Thanks.

For those who sent me PM’s or called me directly, I hope I was able to adequately answer your questions.

For those who decided to not respond and hold out for the airlines, I say go for the gusto and follow your dream.

To those who decided that flying the bush, or air ambulance, or flying the charter route is their chosen path, I say good on ya.

For those who were selected and attended the interviews, I say Thanks. It was great to meet you and to share in your stories.

To the candidate who has been ulimately successful, I’m looking forward to working/flying with you. You have signed on to fly a state-of-the-art aircraft in a true corporate environment. We don’t do charters. We fly primarily Monday to Friday and when we do fly the occasional weekend it is almost always to someplace exotic. You will enjoy working with a pilot team who are solely responsible for the crew schedule on the aircraft. We fly the most awesome owners who are the best that I have met in all my years in this business. You will enjoy working with Skyservice who have always been supportive and leave us alone to manage the aircraft. And......I’m confident that you will enjoy the stellar compensation package.

Fly safe everyone!

Always remember your flying roots!!
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

atpl53 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:03 am To all of the guys and gals who took the time to respond and send in a resume, I say Thanks.

For those who sent me PM’s or called me directly, I hope I was able to adequately answer your questions.

For those who decided to not respond and hold out for the airlines, I say go for the gusto and follow your dream.

To those who decided that flying the bush, or air ambulance, or flying the charter route is their chosen path, I say good on ya.

For those who were selected and attended the interviews, I say Thanks. It was great to meet you and to share in your stories.

To the candidate who has been ulimately successful, I’m looking forward to working/flying with you. You have signed on to fly a state-of-the-art aircraft in a true corporate environment. We don’t do charters. We fly primarily Monday to Friday and when we do fly the occasional weekend it is almost always to someplace exotic. You will enjoy working with a pilot team who are solely responsible for the crew schedule on the aircraft. We fly the most awesome owners who are the best that I have met in all my years in this business. You will enjoy working with Skyservice who have always been supportive and leave us alone to manage the aircraft. And......I’m confident that you will enjoy the stellar compensation package.

Fly safe everyone!
Enjoy your new crew and live the dream bud.

Cheers,

S

Return to “General Comments”