Block Time Rental

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

boogs82
Rank 5
Rank 5

Block Time Rental

Post by boogs82 »

At the risk of being flamed for not knowing the answer.... lol

What part of the CARs covers block time and aircraft rental? I often see block time offered and it's got me thinking about what regulations cover this. Does the person renting/purchasing the block time get added to the owner's insurance and CoR? If you were to purchase an airplane simply to rent/sell block time would you need to be registered commercially?

I'm not in the market to buy an aircraft but I'd certainly be interested in purchasing block time.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Block Time Rental

Post by photofly »

There are no CARs specific to block time rental.

The renter becomes the "operator", and has to follow the CARs, which includes making sure insurance cover is in place. Typically the owner will provide that insurance, but the renter is the one who is responsible for making sure it's there.

The renter is responsible for decisions relating to airworthiness, and has to make relevant entries In the journey log.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
chapfo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chapfo »

I see block time as paying up front for an x% discount and that's it. Everything else stays the same.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

All CARs specific to private flying are found in Part VI. Follow those and you're in great shape.

Return to “General Comments”