Navcanada discontinuing approaches at under-serviced airports

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Navcanada discontinuing approaches at under-serviced airports

Post by iflyforpie »

valleyboy wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:48 pm Would they not move the approaches over to the RCAP so approved carriers , such as Orange, could continue to operate IFR.
I don’t think that’s how it works.

RCAP approaches allow for lower minimums for two crew ops spec due to the extra training and redundancy of two crew aircraft (like pilot monitored approaches).

If the regular LPV takes you down to 400 and the RCAP LPV takes you to 200... all the more it has to be checked for accuracy and compliance each year.
---------- ADS -----------

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

atc_is_god wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:56 pm
linecrew wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:18 pm
RatherBeFlying wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:52 pm Are the provincial medevac authorities being squeezed for money by NavCanada?
How can Nav Canada "squeeze" anyone for money. The whole organization runs on user fees. By act of parliament they can't make a profit. All they are capable of doing is determining where the money goes (and doesn't go anymore I guess).
The airlines only have two seats on Nav Canada's board. And as noted, they run on a cost-recovery basis. And a huge chunk of their revenue comes from foreign carriers transiting our airspace. Our fees would be way higher if the system was only funded by domestic airplanes. Best to know what you're talking about when you're going to propose theories about something.
I don't believe any part of my post proposed any theories other than they are funded by the users of the service. Best not to misinterpret what others say.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

I'm not going to argue with that but originally RCAP are not public but company oriented approaches and private approaches such as some of the mines and private strips and airports.

LPV approaches are classified and fall under RNP navigation requirements, thus requiring to be approved by TC for a company to conduct them. That authorization is part of the company OC.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
Axial Flow
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Axial Flow »

To maintain an approach is about $2500/year depending on who you had design it in order to meet all regulatory requirements (checking AIRAC for new obstructions that may effect approach, redesigning it in regards to any changes and the sort).

To get a new approach designed about 10 years ago was about $20,000 and for LPV I believe it is another $6000 as they have to be coded for GPS database and only Jeppesen does it so of course it isn't cheap.

RCAP approaches usually have different limitations for minimums and missed approach segments that require greater performance than your stock design standards. A good one to look at would be Radium Hot Springs (one of the hot springs in central BC)...pretty steep missed approach requirements due to peaks in the area.

Sad to see approaches disappear but if the traffic isn't there it's quite costly.

L39Guy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by L39Guy »

Lot of misinformation here so allow me to clear some of it up. Me and my business have been doing approach and departure design for 18 years in Canada and elsewhere.

At one time there was a "company Inventory" of approaches which were often back-of-the-envelope designed to no criteria or were not maintained to reflect the changing design criteria or obstacle environment. These "company" approaches were pulled into a Restricted Canada Air Pilot (RCAP) around 2004. Over the years, procedures that did not meet the design standard were removed from the RCAP. One example was that crazy localizer approach to Castlegar. Today, the only procedures that are in the RCAP are ones with a non-standard missed approach climb gradient or the runway does not meet any obstacle clearance standard.

RCAP procedures usually come with some caveats (page 2 of the procedure). These are usually an Ops Spec is required (not a big deal for most commercial operators as they have the GPS approach Op Spec already but a problem for non-commercial operators) and that the pilot(s) must be familiar with the airport (i.e. been there before).

LPV approaches my require air carrier authorization however non-air carriers, i.e. private pilots, can fly them without any authorization.

As far as NAV CANADA is concerned, the majority of instrument approaches and departures in the CAP and RCAP (and hence Jepps too) are designed by private instrument procedure design organizations operating under CARS 803.02. NAV CANADA likes to put their logo on these procedures even though they never designed them nor maintain them.

Another common misconception is that Transport Canada designs procedures (they stopped doing that in 1996) and that they approve procedures (they approve the design criteria and the training of procedure designers but not the procedures themselves).

Return to “General Comments”