The longer runway is worse than the shorter runway

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

The longer runway is worse than the shorter runway

Post by pelmet »

Is runway 22L at JFK a little short for your aircraft landing performance? No problem, just try the very long runway 22R. The localizer is a bit offset but that should be no big deal. But wait a minute.....because of the NIMBY's, that nice, long runway has such a long displaced threshold, it in fact has a shorter LDA than 22L. So you have to divert. Not saying it has happened to me but......what about safety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs2BAjgfOvU

The NIMBY's won out over all the pax on this A380. A very occasional flight overhead on rare occasion shouldn't be a problem, and aircraft are way quieter than the good old days of the DC-8.

Yet...." To move the runway closer to the community is unconscionable. To cause aircraft to fly lower over our community, to cause the noise contours to widen even slightly without a thorough analysis of the impacts is to fail to do one’s due diligence"

https://www.panynj.gov/about/pdf/JFK-Ru ... -FONSI.pdf

Just an interesting tidbit about our aviation world.
---------- ADS -----------

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: The longer runway is worse than the shorter runway

Post by Eric Janson »

Under EASA regulations you need to multiply the calculated landing distance by a factor of 1.15.

In the case of a wet runway you are first correcting for the wet runway then adding a factor of 1.15 to this.

This is extremely conservative.

Fairly easy to exceed the LDA especially in the second case.

Normally this is already looked at in the planning phase where the restrictions are even higher. Any issue with landing performance should have been caught here.

Last edited by Eric Janson on Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Craig1983
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Craig1983 »

Seems a little weird they left from across the Atlantic and never planned/considered before now a wet runway with some tailwind coming in to their destination. Am I missing something?

-Craig
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

I don’t see the problem here, it’s not like they displaced the threshold while the flight was enroute in some weird bait and switch operation. The runways and surrounding residents also pre-date TALPA-ARC increased landing distance requirements which was no doubt was a factor.
It is the operator’s responsibility to ensure their flights can land on the available runway, not the people who live there.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

There could be one other factor that played a part in this.

Technical status of the aircraft - some MEL items will increase landing distance requirements.

Minor technical items can have a huge influence on Performance.

An aircraft I flew had a 100,000kg weight reduction penalty (take-off)with one brake inoperative on a wet runway (KJFK 22L).

This should all be covered in the planning phase

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business

Return to “General Comments”