Corporate Pilots

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Kahlua
Rank 1
Rank 1

Corporate Pilots

Post by Kahlua »

Just a question...
Are there any pilots out there with insight and experience with flying in the corporate world?

I was wondering what kind of aircraft you fly, how you got there, how long it took, and whats the lifestyle now.

What would the lifestyle of a corporate pilot be versus an airline pilot?

Im nowhere near close to even being able to dream about such a position....just wondering...
---------- ADS -----------

.80@410
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Corporate Pilots

Post by .80@410 »

[quote="Kahlua"]Just a question...
I was wondering what kind of aircraft you fly, how you got there, how long it took, and whats the lifestyle now.

What would the lifestyle of a corporate pilot be versus an airline pilot?

[quote]

Challenger, Got here after 1 year on the ramp and 2.5 in the bush ( ya I'm lucky ). Been here for 3 years.

The lifestyle is incredible, especially for a family guy. Long layovers in hot destinations. Pay is initially better than Jetsgo or other cheapo airlines. Overall maybe 70% what an A/C guy gets. My current schedule has me away from home 1 week, on call 1 week, and off 1 week. The trick is to fly for someone with family money ( McCaine, Weston, etc ) not share money ( Nortel !! )

The only downside is it's not a time builder- 2-300 hr annually.

I love it 8)

Just callin it like it is.
Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

The life of a corporate pilot can be quite variable depending on your employer. It can range from pure hell to idyllic.

I´ll give you some comparisons. Chatted with a friend today who is a corporate pilot (so am I). He flies as Captain on a light jet. I fly as FO on a turboprop. He spends few days at home-- most on the road (sometimes only going home for lunch, he laments). I spend every night at home, with lots of time for the gym or internet surfing and few call outs, about 35 to 40 hours flying per month. :wink: I make about twice what he makes. He went through numerous now-defunct airlines. I also have my airline past.

Personally, I believe that corporate aviation has a bright future. It looks like there is going to be a great selection of cheap small jets (around $1 million) with low operating costs. As business people get more irritated with the inconveniences associated with the post-9/11 world of airline travel, the benefits of corporate aviation will become better notices, and their reasonable costs will debunk the myths of the "corporate barge." But this is just my opinion.

As I said, the lifestyle, benefits, and work environments run the full spectrum, however, from what I have seen and heard in Canada, there aren't as many "diamond" opportunities as those at some Fortune 500 companies in the US or other foreign corporations.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
pinkus
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pinkus »

Used to fly corporate. Life style depends on the company. Get used to the hotel rooms and bad food. You are on call alot usually! Not a family lifestyle.

Pay is okay, but nothing to write home about.

Hurry up and wait...then wait some more!

And...don't plan anything in your life....cause you will probably be out of town!

I flew turboprops and Jets. Heres the catch...Jets go further, stay longer...and almost always on the weekend!

Pinky

.80@410
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by .80@410 »

I'd like to add, personality has a lot to do with it too.

Unlike the airlines, you will see the same 3 co-workers every flight -year after year, so you better get along. Be prepared to everything about all of them ...and they better be able to trust you too. There's is less gossiping than at airlines, and it's almost a family unto itself. You show up, do the flight , and return home...no BS with ragging F/As, dictated fuel loads, or nasty pax.

Personally, the best times are the layovers..I've visited Mayan ruins, snorkelled incredible reefs, travelled Europe, Baked on white sands, all the while "waiting" for the client to return home. Our layovers usually last anywhere from 3 days to 14..depending on location.

Kahlua
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kahlua »

.80@410 and others....

What kind of times were you looking at when you got on with your current corporate employers?

This is all exteremely interesting and has tweaked my interest since day one of my aviation life...

Thanks so much for the replies thus far - much appreciated :)

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

As you have probibally read, there are different opinions on corporate jobs. Some can be the very best and some can be the absolute pits. I was going to do the jet charter thing for a while and that did not suit me at all. It is a shit job. But the guys who do it, enjoy it. Usually the best of equipment and the best of sim training etc, etc. One thing to be careful though are these Flexjet style timeshare schemes. If they operate anything like in the US, they can be very very demanding. Like approaching 200+ days a year away from home. And also remember that the bigger the airplane, the bigger the suitcase. Some people love that, others hate it so go in with your eyes wide open and ask for lots of cash.
Good luck.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
bezerker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by bezerker »

I fly for a Fortune 10 company that with over 100 aircraft around the world. In Canada we have a midsize jet and a turbo-prop.
Our minimums are 5000 hrs with experience on type an asset. If you are best buds with the CP, you may get away with less. Unfortunately there is very little movement, someone has to pretty much die for there to be an opening. I would recommend getting alot of time on types flown by the corporate operators you are targeting or by getting to be very good friends with one or more people that work there. Both are hard to do.
Someone mentioned that it is better to fly for an owner, rather than a Corp. I think that is probably true for the most part. A big company owns its own aircraft mainly because they fly enough to make it cheaper than buying airline tickets or chartering. The minute it becomes cheaper to do things another way, you're out on your ass. "Justify or Die" is the motto. This can lead to some very stressful times where you might wonder if you should move on to a more secure position.
On the other hand......benifits where I work include all of the things you would expect with a big company. Full dental, medical, pension, bonuses, high salary, lots of vacation time, no expenses spared on maintenance or training, and lots of days off. Some other benifits of a big company are smaller, such as a 14 hour workday limit, being on call counts as work time (I haven't been called in 2 years), 2 hotel rooms for the crew on day trips, rental cars, a pretty much unlimited budget for meals, and trips scheduled well in advance.
We still seem to find alot to complain about though. Some downsides that you may not realize are things that come from having a small staff. Someone has to do the Jepps, someone has to clean the lunchroom, someone has to do monthly stats, someone has to buy commissary, etc. That someone is a pilot. Not all that bad, but it would be nice to just get in the cockpit and go.
As mentioned earlier generally speaking, the bigger the plane, the more overnights you will get.
Some other companies use their aircraft as shuttles, with daily runs to remote locations. Not the most glamorous, but at least you know your schedule and that you get to sleep in your own bed every night.
One of the downsides to rich guys that own their own aircraft, is that they can use it whenever they want. This can lead to a crummy lifestyle for the crew. It depends how much you like to drink I guess.
I used to want to work for AC mainly because of the money and days off. $200,000+ a year would be great, but it seems that getting on at AC is pretty remote at the moment. That leaves top airline salaries (with a few exceptions) in Canada for pilots at a little above $100,000 a year. Most good corporate operators will pay somewhere around that figure and give plenty of days off, so I can't see many people leaving good corporate jobs to go to the airlines and vice versa (although WJ wouldn't be too bad).

Good luck.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Gee Kahlua, you may as well have asked: "well I've always wanted to win the lotto 649, any body have any advice?"

Then .80 @ 410 responds: " yeah it was great, I bought the quick pick, got the plus, and ka-bam! I struck it rich, now I drive a new Enzo, have a cottage in the Hamptons, and get more ass than a procto clinic"

Ha Ha HA, I wish! :D

Yoyoma
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Yoyoma »

bezerker wrote:Unfortunately there is very little movement, someone has to pretty much die for there to be an opening.
Hey K. I can take care of that in return for some $, £ or €...

I'm sure someone in Gud'ol'Can'da can sell ya some time on these jets! Why not sell you an opening???

Hein? violent flame or this if you prefer fart

Just kd, I'm sooooo bored!
Cheers

Image In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield...W. Buffett
.80@410
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by .80@410 »

co-joe wrote:Gee Kahlua, you may as well have asked: "well I've always wanted to win the lotto 649, any body have any advice?"

Then .80 @ 410 responds: " yeah it was great, I bought the quick pick, got the plus, and ka-bam! I struck it rich, now I drive a new Enzo, have a cottage in the Hamptons, and get more ass than a procto clinic"
:D LMAO

Return to “General Comments”