Where to begin

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

777 Driver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Where to begin

Post by 777 Driver »

Hello everyone,

I am a Canadian citizen by birth but I grew up and became a pilot in Asia. Now I am thinking of tying to move to Canada. This is what I have:

1900 TT
1700 Airbus 330
650 Airbus 330 PIC

Where do I start?
I assume I will have to convert to Canadian ATPL but that should be no problem?
Which airline should I appy to?
---------- ADS -----------

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Where to begin

Post by Rockie »

You started flying A330’s after 200 hours and upgraded to A330 captain with 1250 hours total time?

Forget the airlines. Send your resume to Trump and he’ll put you in command of the SPACE FORCE.

GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK2 »

What? No Shuttle time? I call SERIOUS BS. Just sayin...no one gets Left Seat in Asia with that kind of time...not even natives. It just can't happen.It's why China hires Direct Entry Captains...so go away and try again some other time. Jeez...

munzil
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by munzil »

Good laugh. Was also able to upgrade to 330 PIC without an ATPL. Forget Trump, go straight to NASA

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

I guess by PIC the poster means PIC under supervision.

Not the same as actual PIC - just a way to get the ATPL faster.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
paddy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by paddy »

Funny that “777 driver” only has airbus time.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Eric Janson wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:52 am I guess by PIC the poster means PIC under supervision.

Where in the world do they put 200 hour pilots in the right seat of a 330, then into the left seat at 1250 under supervision or not? Tell me now so I can avoid the place.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Rockie wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:02 am
Eric Janson wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:52 am I guess by PIC the poster means PIC under supervision.

Where in the world do they put 200 hour pilots in the right seat of a 330, then into the left seat at 1250 under supervision or not? Tell me now so I can avoid the place.
That's not how it works. The person in question would be F/O and be qualified for the right seat.

The 'under supervision' part means that he actually flies his sector under the supervision of the Capt. He flies as F/O from the right side.

There are Airlines where F/O are not allowed to fly at all - they are PNF until a certain experience level is achieved.

The personal logbook is signed by the PIC allowing the holder to count the time as 1:1 for PIC hours towards the ATPL - purely administrative.

Hope that makes sense.

@777 driver

Don't try to claim PIC under supervision as PIC time - it's not the same thing.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

Rockie wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:24 am You started flying A330’s after 200 hours and upgraded to A330 captain with 1250 hours total time?

Forget the airlines. Send your resume to Trump and he’ll put you in command of the SPACE FORCE.
That's a new record. Only one post in and Rockie is making it a Trump fest. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For the OP.

If you've got that sort of time, just pick which ever airline you want. Personally, if I were you I'd do Cathay or one of the Gulf states. Great pay.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

B208 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:15 am
Rockie wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:24 am You started flying A330’s after 200 hours and upgraded to A330 captain with 1250 hours total time?

That's a new record. Only one post in and Rockie is making it a Trump fest. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For the OP.

If you've got that sort of time, just pick which ever airline you want. Personally, if I were you I'd do Cathay or one of the Gulf states. Great pay.
I've got some land on Mars you can have at a deep discount B208.

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

Rockie wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:19 am
B208 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:15 am

For the OP.

I've got some land on Mars you can have at a deep discount B208.
You'd best hold onto that land Dude; you're going to need someplace to get away from God-Emperor Donald when he takes over the world in 2020. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Eric Janson wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:12 am
The 'under supervision' part means that he actually flies his sector under the supervision of the Capt. He flies as F/O from the right side.

There are Airlines where F/O are not allowed to fly at all - they are PNF until a certain experience level is achieved.

The personal logbook is signed by the PIC allowing the holder to count the time as 1:1 for PIC hours towards the ATPL - purely administrative.

Hope that makes sense.
I did not know there were airlines where the FO is not allowed to fly at all, and I'm wondering how they achieve a "certain experience level" without it? Why are they even there?

I also don't get the equivalence between "pilot flying" and "pilot in command" even if it's only administrative for ATPL purposes.

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

Rockie wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:31 am
I did not know there were airlines where the FO is not allowed to fly at all, and I'm wondering how they achieve a "certain experience level" without it? Why are they even there?
I've heard of this in certain Asian airlines that have Cadet programs. FO runs checklists and works radios.
Rockie wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:31 am I also don't get the equivalence between "pilot flying" and "pilot in command" even if it's only administrative for ATPL purposes.
It's like an Acting Captain. The FO gets to make decisions as though he were in command. If the FO makes a bad decision the Capt steps in and prevents mayhem. The idea is that by the end of the program the Capt doesn't have to step in at all. It's not really PIC time, but it's more than being a gear puller.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

B208 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:41 am
Rockie wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:31 am I also don't get the equivalence between "pilot flying" and "pilot in command" even if it's only administrative for ATPL purposes.
It's like an Acting Captain. The FO gets to make decisions as though he were in command. If the FO makes a bad decision the Capt steps in and prevents mayhem. The idea is that by the end of the program the Capt doesn't have to step in at all. It's not really PIC time, but it's more than being a gear puller.
Yes I know what PIC under supervision is but I don't think that's what this is. This just sounds like the guy was allowed to actually fly the plane and consider it PIC...different. It sounds sketchy as hell allowing that to count 1:1 as PIC time for an ATPL as well.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Rockie wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:31 am
They're there because the aircraft needs 2 Pilots. They log the time in the seat but it counts as less than 1:1 towards the ATPL. Hence the PIC 'under supervision' to allow the ATPL to be obtained earlier.

This was the case in Canada when I worked there - FO time only counted as 50% towards ATPL requirements.

Indian Airlines do this. I used to sign the personal log books of my FOs when I worked in Asia - although all of them flew their sector. Similar rules for logging time for the ATPL.
I also don't get the equivalence between "pilot flying" and "pilot in command" even if it's only administrative for ATPL purposes.

That's how the regulations work - even EASA allows for this. I have been asked to sign my FOs logbook as recently as last week.

True story:- In India the requirements to be Captain were simply 'ATPL'. As soon as guys got their ATPL they became Captain on things like A320.

The safety record in Asia speaks for itself - go to Avherald and type in 'Lionair'. This Airline has the dubious record of 2 overruns at the same airport within 24 hours. They're also the guys who put the 737 on a reef in Bali. Quite a shocking read. Any western Airline would have lost their AOC long ago. It's amazing they haven't killed anyone yet - certainly not for lack of trying!

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

Air Transat

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

Rockie wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:47 am Yes I know what PIC under supervision is but I don't think that's what this is. This just sounds like the guy was allowed to actually fly the plane and consider it PIC...different. It sounds sketchy as hell allowing that to count 1:1 as PIC time for an ATPL as well.
Odds are this is PIC under supervision and the OP just didn't articulate that fact clearly. As for counting it towards the ATPL; look in the regs and ICAO. If it doesn't meet with your approval write your MP.

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

180 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:59 amAir Transat
The OP lacks the requisite glider experience for Transat.......

munzil
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by munzil »

It's not PICUS. PICUS is left seat and taking the role of captain but with another training Capt in the right seat. No way you can be PIC on a 330 with less than ATP in the civil world.

Stop drawing to the bait... The OP is a troll and full of crap.

Last edited by munzil on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Look at the hours again B208. If you still think the same I reiterate my offer for that land on Mars.

Return to “General Comments”