IFR Refresher resources

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

charrois
Rank 2
Rank 2

IFR Refresher resources

Post by charrois »

Hi everyone.

I got my IFR rating back in 2012 but haven't done much with it since, and hope to go for an IPC and get myself current again soon. But I do want to be prepared and am wondering what resources people could recommend. I signed up for Harv's Air Instrument Course awhile ago (figured that although I already had my rating, I'd heard good things about it and it couldn't hurt), but I'm more of a book learner than a "watch video" learner, and couldn't find the 100+ hours that would have been required to sit down and go through the whole thing again, especially when I'm after more of a refresher than anything.

I have a copy of the Air Command Weather Manual from 2008 and the AeroCourse Canadian Instrument Rating Workbook from 2009 back from when I got my IFR rating, as well as a PDF copy of the Instrument Procedures Manual from Transport Canada (TP 2076E) in PDF form from back when the Government still published it in 1997. But things have changed since all of that (RNAV particularly). Is the newer (commercialized) version of the Instrument Procedures Manual from Aerosolutions worth it? I know there are free FAA resources (Instrument Procedures Handbook) but would rather use a Canadian specific resource, since there are definitely Canadian-specific differences.

So what would someone recommend to get someone like myself who definitely prefers reading over watching 100+ hours of video, to get back on track?

Thanks!

Dan
---------- ADS -----------

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: IFR Refresher resources

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

This might be helpful: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=125731

charrois
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: IFR Refresher resources

Post by charrois »

Thanks for the response - great thread, which somehow I missed before posting.

Return to “General Comments”