2018 CNE Airshow

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

98 Corolla
Rank 2
Rank 2

2018 CNE Airshow

Post by 98 Corolla »

The demonstration teams have started to arrive. This morning I saw the Thunderbirds say hello. There is an F-35 beating up the downtown core right now. Yesterday I saw the Air Cadet glider and tow plane. Have you guys seen anything else so far? I'm wondering what the "More acts to come" on the website might include. I hope some large aircraft also.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: 2018 CNE Airshow

Post by photofly »

I was on the ramp when an SAR Cormorant landed then hover-taxied, at walking pace, for six minutes, grit-blasting mine and everyone else's tied-down aircraft. Does that count?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

Sheesh. I see the usual killjoys are busy on twitter, outraged over the airshow's supposed potentially traumatic impact on refugees, not to mention gratuitous displays of the "expensive toys of the military-industrial complex" and the needless conversion of fuel into noise: https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/la ... e-air-show.

Where do we find these morons, and more importantly, how do we send them back there?

TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

photofly wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:07 pm I was on the ramp when an SAR Cormorant landed then hover-taxied, at walking pace, for six minutes, grit-blasting mine and everyone else's tied-down aircraft. Does that count?

Sure, it counts. Could have said so without the whining.

Snowbirds, Demo-Hornet, & Harvard 2 should be there.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

TT1900 wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:02 pm
photofly wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:07 pm I was on the ramp when an SAR Cormorant landed then hover-taxied, at walking pace, for six minutes, grit-blasting mine and everyone else's tied-down aircraft. Does that count?

So, to be sure I've got this straight: it's "whining" when poor situational awareness/airmanship results in grit-blasting of someone else's defenseless, tied-down aircraft. What do you call it when it's your aircraft that gets hit?

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Always enjoyed the many visits to ole YYZ over the past few years, always liked the place much better than Ottawa and Montreal being a Maritimer. Always going to be the usual naysayers no matter the activity and the associated city, ‘‘tis the norm. As for air shows, I can take or leave them, certainly doesn’t bother me at all however I won’t go out of my way to go to one. Went to the Shearwater display once but that was it, I suppose being in the business over the many years there is no real attachment even with the latest military hardware. There are those who do enjoy and that is great as well. Just not for me.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

They're up at the posh end of the field, with the leather sofas and the deep-pile carpets. I'm slumming it at the poor end. But the folks are nice and at least they let me change my own oil there.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

YYZSaabGuy wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:14 pm Sheesh. I see the usual killjoys are busy on twitter, outraged over the airshow's supposed potentially traumatic impact on refugees, not to mention gratuitous displays of the "expensive toys of the military-industrial complex" and the needless conversion of fuel into noise: https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/la ... e-air-show.

Where do we find these morons, and more importantly, how do we send them back there?
...and why can't I stop reading your posts in the voice of your avatar?

S.

TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

YYZSaabGuy wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:22 pm

So, to be sure I've got this straight: it's "whining" when poor situational awareness/airmanship results in grit-blasting of someone else's defenseless, tied-down aircraft. What do you call it when it's your aircraft that gets hit?
It’s a big helicopter and it’s a busy field. If an aircraft is parked outside then it’s going to get grit-blasted occasionally, such is life. When it’s my aircraft I shrug my shoulders and accept that sometimes it can’t be helped. I have faith that other aviators dont go out of their way to be dicks.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:51 pm ...and why can't I stop reading your posts in the voice of your avatar?
S.
:smt023

I know, right? And then they include me in the prequel!

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

TT1900 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:36 am It’s a big helicopter and it’s a busy field. If an aircraft is parked outside then it’s going to get grit-blasted occasionally, such is life. When it’s my aircraft I shrug my shoulders and accept that sometimes it can’t be helped.
Then we have a lot in common. When it's your aircraft, I also shrug my shoulders and accept that sometimes it can't be helped.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I presume the airshow is underway. I'm in the KLM lounge at YYZ T3, and the snowbirds just gave us a show, crossing 15/33 at a few hundred feet. A number of us sitting at the window all said "cool!" in unison!

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

YYZ has good viewing spots

Post by RatherBeFlying »

The big iron is mostly based at YYZ. There's a number of places with a good view of 15-33

My favorite used to be the top parking level of T1.

The sea wall on the North side of the Western gap is a good spot to watch YTZ movements.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Seems the small aerobatic guys are not impressed with this airshow. Or so I heard from an aerobatic guy. The show seemed to want him at reduced pay. He said they seem to think along the lines of them doing the aerobatics guys a favour so he told them that he wasn't interested and plans to stick with smaller shows. Plus, Toronto airshow is out over water and when it is hazy, there is little to no horizon through a significant field of view. I believe that is why the Fairey Firefly crashed there many years back.

Wish them the best though. The only time I ever saw an SR-71 fly was because of the Toronto airshow.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

The big iron is mostly based at YYZ
Yes, taxiing out I saw a parked P51, F-18, the Thunderbirds F16's, and two F35's

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

I hate to say it, that F-35 stole the show. Lots of burner time Saturday, plus super humid = great vaping ;)

I expected more from the Thunderbirds, but I think they went mechanical - probably Chris Hadfield pushing buttons in the back. Demo Hornet was great. Snowbirds were good but things seemed a lot less dynamic from years past.

They need way more fighters.

S.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

I have a feeling we're going to see lots of F-35 demonstrations leading up to Canada's open and transparent competition. Very impressive performance from an aircraft that, "doesn't work, and is far from working." I love airshows, they captured my imagination at a young age and still enjoy them just as much, thanks to all those who dedicate so much time and effort into their organization across the country.

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

Well ytz coulda swept the ramps, taxiways... heck they had company coming!

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Today I found out that that the SAR helicopter - or it could have been another one - blew someone's plastic deck box across the ramp with its rotor wash, and that deck box embedded itself in and destroyed the fibreglass tailcone of my airplane.

But I guess that just can't be helped.

TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

photofly wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:05 pm Today I found out that that the SAR helicopter - or it could have been another one - blew someone's plastic deck box across the ramp with its rotor wash, and that deck box embedded itself in and destroyed the fibreglass tailcone of my airplane.

But I guess that just can't be helped.
That sucks.

Sarcasm?

Return to “General Comments”