As Air Canada soars, WestJet takes a predictable nosedive

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

As Air Canada soars, WestJet takes a predictable nosedive

Post by dialdriver »

---------- ADS -----------

Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: As Air Canada soars, WestJet takes a predictable nosedive

Post by Shady McSly »

I smell a Canadian/AC type merger in about 10 years...

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

It took just over 20 years for westjet to truly turn into a level one carrier. A 20 year honeymoon -- not bad ---

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
privateer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by privateer »

WestJet posts a $20.8 million loss and the newspaper writes the sky is falling.
Air Canada posts a $170 million loss and it means all is going great. Go figure.
https://www.thestar.com/business/2018/0 ... r-ago.html

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

this is from april 30th

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Go figure pretty much sums it up. Never could figure out how laggards survive here, where they would no longer exist anyplace else.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

It is a well written, well researched article that firmly places the blame for the current economic and labour issues with the creators of these issues. The company's executive.

It is refreshing to see something that is not a copy and paste of a company issued PR statement.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Oxi wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:52 pm this is from april 30th
If you're looking for more recent info, this is from Air Canada's second-quarter report, released July 30: "On a GAAP basis, in the second quarter of 2018, Air Canada reported a loss before income taxes of $71 million, compared to income before income taxes of $314 million in the second quarter of 2017."

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

and what's their year over year top line and bottom line?

tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

AC & WJ are doing well , but the airline that may not be around in 5 years time, is Air Transat. They continue to add capacity , as fares are weak , and the A 310 is a hog for fuel. They also are in a situation where they don't own any of their A/C.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

tsgas wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:43 pm AC & WJ are doing well , but the airline that may not be around in 5 years time, is Air Transat. They continue to add capacity , as fares are weak , and the A 310 is a hog for fuel. They also are in a situation where they don't own any of their A/C
We hear the same comments years after years. As an insider looking how they play the show I am not as pessimist as you are. They are debt free, financial institutions ready to lend money if needed, a nice cash in the bank and they own some of their A/C. Time will tell and I really hope you're wrong because I wouldn't trade my job at Air Transat for WJ or even worse AC!

Last edited by FL320 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

tsgas wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:43 pm AC & WJ are doing well , but the airline that may not be around in 5 years time, is Air Transat. They continue to add capacity , as fares are weak , and the A 310 is a hog for fuel. They also are in a situation where they don't own any of their A/C.
to be fair to Transat they are replacing all the 310's with 321's ceo's and neo's, it is going to be a really interesting few years for them since they are changing the fleet model quite substantially because of what a 321 neo can do for trans atlantic range

tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

fish4life wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:38 am
tsgas wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:43 pm AC & WJ are doing well , but the airline that may not be around in 5 years time, is Air Transat. They continue to add capacity , as fares are weak , and the A 310 is a hog for fuel. They also are in a situation where they don't own any of their A/C.
to be fair to Transat they are replacing all the 310's with 321's ceo's and neo's, it is going to be a really interesting few years for them since they are changing the fleet model quite substantially because of what a 321 neo can do for trans atlantic range
That in the future and in the mean time AC is "now" operating with B 787's & B 737 Max . In the future WJ will be competing with their B 787's as well. In the mean time , "the smart money" is betting against them and has driven their stock price down to the $8.00 range. Investors see them bleeding "CASH" and have listened to their excuses before.

I hope that they can find some new blood in their management ranks and turn the ship around before it's too late.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

I hope that they can find some new blood in their management ranks and turn the ship around before it's too late
Good news: your wish has been fulfilled. I am pretty optimistic with the new blood in charge of the ship, stay positive and don’t be fooled by your lack of information :goodman:

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Didn't the CEO (was it Eustache) retire and then have to come back to pull out of the dive?

The 321 neos will do well though...

tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

FL320 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:16 am
I hope that they can find some new blood in their management ranks and turn the ship around before it's too late
Good news: your wish has been fulfilled. I am pretty optimistic with the new blood in charge of the ship, stay positive and don’t be fooled by your lack of information :goodman:
Don'y let your girly emotions override reality.

I purchased some shares of TRZ in 2009 at $6.72 than sold them in the same year at $21.10. I used the proceeds to purchase WJA shares at $11.90 and than sell them at $31.50 in 2014. I than used the proceeds to buy AC shares at $8.00 which I sold recently at $27.55.

So my "lack of information" has served me well so far.

Return to “General Comments”