KENTING

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Trevor
Rank 3
Rank 3

KENTING

Post by Trevor »

Can anyone here shed some light on Kenting Aviation and its activities in the late 1970s and 80s. I believe it disappeared around 1986.

Cheers,
Trevor
---------- ADS -----------

Clear skies and calm winds...

Trevor
dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: KENTING

Post by dhc# »

I think there is a Kenting DC 3 parked out on the tundra about 40-50 miles NE of YFB, I heard the story was that it crashed landed after running out of fuel on the way down from Clyde River(?) around 1974-75 (nobody got hurt). You might want to track down any older Borek or First Air pilots who might remember when Kenting was operating.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Mr. Google

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
Trevor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Trevor »

Mr. Google
Google doesn't answer everything.

The best I can find is that Kenn Borek bought Kenting for its northern operation (formerly Atlas Aviation), primarily with DC-3s in the mid-1970s. That's where dhc#'s DC-3 crash comes into play. Kenting used to have all sorts of survey airplanes (Canso, Navajo, Islander, etc.) doing survey under the Kenting Earth Sciences title. That name seems to have continued into the mid-1980s.

Can anyone shed light on what happened to them corporately?

Clear skies and calm winds...

Trevor
Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

dhc# wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:53 am I think there is a Kenting DC 3 parked out on the tundra about 40-50 miles NE of YFB, I heard the story was that it crashed landed after running out of fuel on the way down from Clyde River(?) around 1974-75 (nobody got hurt). You might want to track down any older Borek or First Air pilots who might remember when Kenting was operating.
Kenting and/or Kenting Atlas had a few DC-3 accidents in the 1970’s:

1) CF-OOV, either Feb 12 or Apr 10, 1973. Date is unclear in my information. Location
N63/45 W68/33. Captain A.M
2) CF-OOY, Nov 3, 1975. 40 n of YFB at N64/25 W68/21. 23 passengers on board.
Captain A.W
3) CF-OOX, Nov 29, 1975, Igloolik
4) CF-DXO, May 22, 1976, Amundsen Ringess Island. Captain C.S

I do not know anything about the business activities, mergers, buy outs, etc.

AP

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Well, they had a Canso that I remember seeing....

https://www.google.ca/search?q=kenting+ ... PY61ZkaGpM:

How would you like to fly with this contraption on the nose of the aircraft...

https://www.google.ca/search?q=kenting+ ... 1u-EU5SgpM:

helicopterray
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by helicopterray »

My former bosses were from Kenting, but sadly, they have passed on.

beech 18
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by beech 18 »

September 06, 2018

Edited.
Was already posted.

Otterkoch
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Otterkoch »

Kenting Big Indian was a drilling company which owned Kenting. Aviation. Oil patch slowdown in the 80s caused the drilling company to sell its aviation division to borek as I understand. I flew dhc-6 KBI at borek. I always thought the registration was a Ken borek thing but it represented the drilling company but mike brown later clarified it was the drilling company that it was registered by.

flaps78
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flaps78 »

While I do not know the history of Kenting Aviation I do know that they were Toronto (Malton) based. In 1972 Kenting Aviation purchased Atlas Aviation (Resolute Bay) from Weldy Phipps. Weldy (and St. Bernard - Brutus) stayed on to oversee the Kenting Atlas operation for a period of time. In 1973? Kenting changed it's name to Kenting Atlas Aviation. During 1972 Kenting Atlas (YRB) flew charters and did skeds out of RB primarily with DHC-6. Bradley Aviation (Carp Ont.) had the Polar Shelf contract flying DH-3, DHC-6,DC-3 , Super Cubs and helicopters. Ken Borek Air had 1 DHC-6 at the time (CF-ABW -flown by Merv Mc Caroll) based at Rae Point. Northward Aviation had a DHC-3, DHC-6 and a Helio Courier based in Eureka. Add to this , Wardair who would have a DHC-6 frequently in RB doing contract work. A busy time!

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Early 70's in the high arctic (especially YRB) was very busy in part due to a lot of oil exploration in the area.

Gravity always wins
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Otterkoch wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:26 pm Kenting Big Indian was a drilling company which owned Kenting. Aviation. Oil patch slowdown in the 80s caused the drilling company to sell its aviation division to borek as I understand. I flew dhc-6 KBI at borek. I always thought the registration was a Ken borek thing but it represented the drilling company but mike brown later clarified it was the drilling company that it was registered by.
Same company as Kenting High Tower? Had a friend who was a derrick hand there in the early 90's.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Kosiw wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:05 pm Early 70's in the high arctic (especially YRB) was very busy in part due to a lot of oil exploration in the area.
PWA had 6 hercs apparently. Hard to imagine.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

I came across this -- interesting reading. All I know about Kenting , other than their survey stuff is that mid 70's they were likely the first attempt and scheduled service on Baffin Island. The operated DC-3's out of Frob and I believe they might of had a DC4 as well.(I have a recollection of seeing a pic of the aircraft parked on the ice in Greenland) It was short lived because Bradley moved in to Frob and eventually introduced the 748 in the early 80's

http://qcwa70.org/Mapping%20the%20Canad ... mizer).ppt

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

Kenting did survey work on the Labrador coast with a couple of Supermarine Walrus amphibs. I have one on my website http://www.barneysairforce.com

Barey

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

I’d be guilty of chasing metal if a company still used a P-38 for photo surveying

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Was it Kenting or ? that used Mosquito's for photo survey's across the north in the late 40's early 50's...as I recall back in the summer of 96 hauling pallets of what I thought was junk out of YRT ,until I had a closer look and realized there was a Merlin engine among the junk....all pieces of a Mosquito survey plane I was told...

flaps78
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flaps78 »

dhc#

I think that you may be referring to Spartan Airways.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

I just googled Spartan and there is a Kenting connection according to this link...

https://sites.google.com/site/spartanairservices/

Ahhh thread drift....sometimes its useful :D

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

dhc# wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:49 pm Was it Kenting or ? that used Mosquito's for photo survey's across the north in the late 40's early 50's...as I recall back in the summer of 96 hauling pallets of what I thought was junk out of YRT ,until I had a closer look and realized there was a Merlin engine among the junk....all pieces of a Mosquito survey plane I was told...
I believe the Merlin that you are referring to came from a Spartan Mosquito CF-HMR. Landed near Pelly Lake NWT July 10, 1956 after a prop runaway. Pilot Al MacNutt. There is a great write up on the event on Aviation Safety Netwotk.

AP

Return to “General Comments”