Blacked out E175

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Blacked out E175

Post by J31 »

Last night in there was a Sky Regional E175 with no lights on sitting in the dark just short of runway 6L Toronto. Looked like they were completely shutdown with the cabin doors cracked open. Anyone know what that was about? Computer reset?
---------- ADS -----------

BMLtech
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Blacked out E175

Post by BMLtech »

Fantastic machine. " Bing...EICAS MESSAGE...ENG2 NO DISPATCH"...Solution? Turn off, wait 5, turn back on, message gone, keep calm and carry on.

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

BMLtech wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:29 pm Fantastic machine. " Bing...EICAS MESSAGE...ENG2 NO DISPATCH"...Solution? Turn off, wait 5, turn back on, message gone, keep calm and carry on.
Gotta love the Embraer - first question from maintenance is always: “have you tried turning it off and turning it back on again?” Sometimes it’s more expedient to do this short of the runway than to go all the way back to the gate.

Every
Mechanical
Breakdown
Requires
An
Electrical
Reset

BMLtech
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BMLtech »

Yup I was always amazed how the flying laptop can go from being completely unserviceable to airworthy simply by turning it off and back on again, and this is considered normal. It seems to have stood the test of time, it's not like they are dropping out of the sky all over. We had a catch phrase that always looked good in the logbook, "transient condition"

cossack
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cossack »

This one went back to the gate.

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

BMLtech wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:29 pm Fantastic machine. " Bing...EICAS MESSAGE...ENG2 NO DISPATCH"...Solution? Turn off, wait 5, turn back on, message gone, keep calm and carry on.
5 seconds or minutes?

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Did someone let Microsoft write software for it??

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

JasonE wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:18 pm Did someone let Microsoft write software for it??
No, if it was Microsoft you'd only have to close all the windows and open them again.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

happens with the classic dashes too. "Hard Reset" is generally the solution

PSL
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PSL »

Yes the EMB is a pain in the ass computer. I personally hate having to explain to people over the PA that we are doing this. Get the question why, well its like we turn the program off and restart it, if it doesn't work then we restart the computer, if that doesn't work we turn off the computer leave it for 5 minutes then turn it on, if that doesn't work then we turn it off again and unplug it from the wall for 5 minutes and then start it. If that all doesn't work, ugh. No one writes any of the garbage up either and maintenance isn't any help.

Also, I'll be the first to say that if the OP is true and passengers were on the airplane on a taxiway doing a restart, what a dumb move by El Kapitano over there. Pay bananas and you get monkeys.

Go team go!

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

I would never ever put my passengers in the dark on a taxiway voluntarily... Come on people if you have to do a hard reset do it at the gate ...

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

daedalusx wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:18 am I would never ever put my passengers in the dark on a taxiway voluntarily... Come on people if you have to do a hard reset do it at the gate ...
Exactly. You are representing a brand people. If this indeed happened in this manner I am
Embarrassed for you. Use your head.

Also while on sky rant. Please leave your strobe lights till facing down the runway. You blind the pilots right behind you. It's called airmanship

PSL
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PSL »

BingBong wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:16 am

Also while on sky rant. Please leave your strobe lights till facing down the runway. You blind the pilots right behind you. It's called airmanship
We don't all do that, those are individual Captain decisions my friend.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

PSL wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:48 am Yes the EMB is a pain in the ass computer. I personally hate having to explain to people over the PA that we are doing this. Get the question why, well its like we turn the program off and restart it, if it doesn't work then we restart the computer, if that doesn't work we turn off the computer leave it for 5 minutes then turn it on, if that doesn't work then we turn it off again and unplug it from the wall for 5 minutes and then start it. If that all doesn't work, ugh. No one writes any of the garbage up either and maintenance isn't any help.

Also, I'll be the first to say that if the OP is true and passengers were on the airplane on a taxiway doing a restart, what a dumb move by El Kapitano over there. Pay bananas and you get monkeys.

Go team go!
I have been on an AC Embraer and put in the dark for a reset after pushing off the bridge. To a passenger that’s no different than a taxiway

Return to “General Comments”