expired medical question

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

tsukubacpe
Rank 2
Rank 2

expired medical question

Post by tsukubacpe »

hello,

In regards to category 1 medical and flying for a 703 company, what are the repercussions of flying with it expired. It would turn into a cat 3 but of course its illegal to fly commercially with it.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: expired medical question

Post by photofly »

A Cat 1 medical doesn't turn into a Cat 3 when it expires. A Cat 1 medical will validate a CPL or PPL for PPL privileges for the same duration as a Cat 3 medical.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
tired of the ground
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tired of the ground »

Chances are, enforcement would like to have a word with you. They would look at whether it was done with intent (i.e. extenuating circumstances), how many times it was done and if you still did it after discovering the fact. They would then either council you or apply a monetary fine for each flight you flew without said medical.

donnybrook
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by donnybrook »

You can apply for an extension

Conquest Driver
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Conquest Driver »

It's illegal to fly for hire or reward with an expired Cat 1

You might get an extension if you apply before you expire. As I understand it TC has gotten fairly sticky about just handing them out.

You cannot get an extension once you've expired!! "You cannot extend what does not exist".

455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 455tt »

You would be taking a huge risk!

Flying without a current medical is a violation of CARs:

404.03 (1) No person shall exercise or attempt to exercise the privileges of a permit, licence or rating unless the person holds a valid medical certificate of a category that is appropriate for that permit, licence or rating, as specified in section 404.10.

Potential fine if you were caught: $5,000 for individual, $25,000 for company, who could be liable for allowing their pilot to fly with an expired medical.

Or even a licence or OC suspension is also possible.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

It is interesting as this all about TC...

1. You would not have insurance, and if your company has a breech of warrenty clause in their insurance, your liability could run into a very large figure, and you may not be able to declare bankruptcy and get out of it. A lifetime of pain and regret, For what? Being so unprofessional you cannot keep track of your medical X date? Siri can help.

2. If this was intentional, you may find yourself out of a job, and not be looking at a great reference.

Then there is TC. Depending on the circumstances, I think 455 maybe is a bit dramatic. One would have to search TCs data baseto see the typical penalty. Potential is just that, but not always realistic. Makes for good fear mongering though.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Dream
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dream »

I have a similar question. How long does the signature/stamp in your booklet remain valid? I haven’t received the official sticker from TC yet.
Thanks

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

Dream wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:53 pm I have a similar question. How long does the signature/stamp in your booklet remain valid? I haven’t received the official sticker from TC yet.
Thanks
The signature in your booklet is all you get. I think they send out stickers when something changes (i.e. possibly when a restriction is applied or lifted - I think I say a friend with that). Iecause I haven't had a sticker in years.

Dream
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dream »

Thank you,
After posting and no response I just called TC and they confirmed that you only get a sticker if things change on your medical regarding
Any restrictions.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

My medical is good until the end of October and I have some days off at the beginning of November before going back to work. If I wait and do my medical say on Nov 2 to get an extra month out of it does anything happen? I know I'll have been only a ppl for a few days but once I have that signature for my cat 1 is it like I never let it lapse? I.e my PPC is still valid

Return to “General Comments”