Where is this so called shortage

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Where is this so called shortage

Post by goleafsgo »

If you're already working a random job while looking for a flying job, what's wrong with accepting a ramp job while still looking for a flying job, worst case scenario you don't find a direct entry flying job, at least you'll be in the running for an fo position wherever you're working the ramp?
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

digits_ wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:20 am
pelmet wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:39 am But the crashing doctors and dentists for stupid reasons is very relevent. Why?....because it proves that a degree does not in any way guarantee a good pilot or a pilot any better than anyone else. Yet we have airlines making it mandatory.
No it isn't, because there is no suitable control group. You would have to compare groups with similar flying experience if you wanted to determine the effect of a degree.
I really don't know why you have changed the subject to comparing accident rates for pilots with and without a degree. I disagreed with your statement of....
digits_ wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:39 am I'd like to claim that a somewhat scientific related degree will serve you far more in aviation than an equivalent amount of ramp experience. Someone who can get a science/engineering/... degree WILL be able to learn whatever you throw at him airplane related and actually understand said systems better. He will also have developed an attitude of seeing things through, helping each other out, team work etc, while learning to think analytically, objectively and logically.
Therefore you have guaranteed us that having a degree will make them understand systems better than anyone without a degree. And that anyone with a degree WILL be able to "see things through", whatever that means, and thinking analytically, objectively, and logically. Sorry but I could find all kinds of accidents where the thinking you guarantee was nowhere to be found and the pilot with the degree only saw things through to his unecessary accident.

Perhaps you have a degree, spent several years getting one at the cost of not flying and therefore want othrs to have to do the same. But if you have a degree, your claims have proved that you did not learn the things you think you have. I will agree that a certain level of intelligence is required for a degree. Not much else is required.

I prefer people with actual hands on aviation experience for hiring. Aviation related degrees get consideration from me. Non-aviation, wasted money and time for the applicant..

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

When airlines or anyone requires or says a degree is an asset it has nothing to do with what you learned or the fact that you have a degree. It just proves you have the ability to learn. In the past it was about "hands and feet" now, no so much. Actual piloting skills are taking a back seat to automation.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
flyzam
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyzam »

valleyboy wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:41 am When airlines or anyone requires or says a degree is an asset it has nothing to do with what you learned or the fact that you have a degree. It just proves you have the ability to learn. In the past it was about "hands and feet" now, no so much. Actual piloting skills are taking a back seat to automation.
we all have the ability to learn. If you have been to university, then you would also know that these days there are not the sharpest of knives out there getting degrees.

Saying that, to fly 705 these days only takes remembering a set procedure and doing it over and over again

Last edited by flyzam on Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
TSAM
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TSAM »

Last edited by TSAM on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyzam
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyzam »

TSAM wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:21 am Long time ago when pilots were plenty and the jobs were few, the education was the tie breaker between 2 or more similar applicants. Today it is irrelevant. AC hires, 2000 hrs pilots with a degree over 5-6000 hour pilots without a degree and likely have a few type ratings. Those type ratings are proof enough a pilot can learn an airplane, and those hours prove he/she has learned a few things in the industry. If it was me, I'd take the experienced and many others would agree.
couldn't agree more. Past type ratings and experience proves a lot more than a degree in lesbian dance theory

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

flyzam wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:23 am
TSAM wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:21 am Long time ago when pilots were plenty and the jobs were few, the education was the tie breaker between 2 or more similar applicants. Today it is irrelevant. AC hires, 2000 hrs pilots with a degree over 5-6000 hour pilots without a degree and likely have a few type ratings. Those type ratings are proof enough a pilot can learn an airplane, and those hours prove he/she has learned a few things in the industry. If it was me, I'd take the experienced and many others would agree.
couldn't agree more. Past type ratings and experience proves a lot more than a degree in lesbian dance theory
Some might consider that subject a science...and therefore give preference over experience in industry.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

pelmet wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:41 pm I really don't know why you have changed the subject to comparing accident rates for pilots with and without a degree. I disagreed with your statement of....
That was all you my friend. You were the one bringing up a degree in comparison with working on the ramp.
pelmet wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:41 pm
digits_ wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:39 am I'd like to claim that a somewhat scientific related degree will serve you far more in aviation than an equivalent amount of ramp experience. Someone who can get a science/engineering/... degree WILL be able to learn whatever you throw at him airplane related and actually understand said systems better. He will also have developed an attitude of seeing things through, helping each other out, team work etc, while learning to think analytically, objectively and logically.
Therefore you have guaranteed us that having a degree will make them understand systems better than anyone without a degree. And that anyone with a degree WILL be able to "see things through", whatever that means, and thinking analytically, objectively, and logically. Sorry but I could find all kinds of accidents where the thinking you guarantee was nowhere to be found and the pilot with the degree only saw things through to his unecessary accident.
No. Don't put words in my mouth. There can be a whole bunch of people out there without a degree that could understand the systems as well or better than someone with a degree. I merely stated that a scientific degree practically guarantees that a person is able to understand airplane systems etc thorougly.

If you take a group of people without a degree, and a group of people with a degree, there will be a higher percentage of people in the group of degree people that will have a more thorough understanding of the airplane systems.
pelmet wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:41 pm Perhaps you have a degree, spent several years getting one at the cost of not flying and therefore want othrs to have to do the same. But if you have a degree, your claims have proved that you did not learn the things you think you have. I will agree that a certain level of intelligence is required for a degree. Not much else is required.
I want to get every pilot in a cockpit. If they fly good, they can stay there, if not they should get kicked out. I do NOT advocate requiring a degree for any flying position. It is not necessary. But neither is a ramp position. I do see value in the idea of using a degree as a selection tool if you are swamped with applicants.

A certain level of intelligence and a healthy dose of perseverance are the most basic ingredients you would need yes.

pelmet wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:41 pm I prefer people with actual hands on aviation experience for hiring. Aviation related degrees get consideration from me. Non-aviation, wasted money and time for the applicant..
I've already agreed that flying experience is the best experience for a pilot. If that is not possible, then, in general, I think a scientific degree trumps ramp experience.

I'd value an engineering/doctor/science degree way above an aviation "degree". By the time a pilot is an ATPL, he will most likely have acquired a lot of knowledge he would have gotten in the aviation degree program. It's easier to access yourself. A science degree gives you a whole different way of thinking and looking at things, something that you would probaby not acquire by yourself.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

digits_ wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:00 am I'd value an engineering/doctor/science degree way above an aviation "degree".
Maybe.....too bad we so many stupid doctor/dentist crashes though. It seems endless.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

I can't argue with ridiculousness. First you say what I highlighted
digits_ wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:00 am I'd like to claim that a somewhat scientific related degree will serve you far more in aviation than an equivalent amount of ramp experience. Someone who can get a science/engineering/... degree WILL be able to learn whatever you throw at him airplane related and actually understand said systems better. He will also have developed an attitude of seeing things through, helping each other out, team work etc, while learning to think analytically, objectively and logically.
Then I said....
pelmet wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:50 pm Therefore you have guaranteed us that having a degree will make them understand systems better than anyone without a degree.
Then you said...
digits_ wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:00 am
No. Don't put words in my mouth.

If you take a group of people without a degree, and a group of people with a degree, there will be a higher percentage of people in the group of degree people that will have a more thorough understanding of the airplane systems.
You deny what you said and then say pretty much the same thing again in a different way. Show us the proof. You have none.

Hire who you want, you have no evidence to back up your claims. Neither do I, but I still prefer people with industry experience(it also shows long term interest in the industry). I suspect that there are a lot of other industries that are the same, including the sciences that are not particularly interested in someone with experience and/or a degree in something completely different. But that is only a guess.

I would like to see some actual aviation specific studies about degree holders understanding systems better studies. The dentist in the Navajo that killed 6 people by not switching fuel tanks(link posted earlier) obviously is not representative of all degree holders but he doesn't give me much confidence that they WILL know systems better than non-degree holders.

Last edited by pelmet on Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

I'd like to claim that a somewhat scientific related degree will serve you far more in aviation than an equivalent amount of ramp experience.
If a scientific degree is so important to be a pilot why is there no minimum education required to be a pilot?

As long as you can read and write you can get any pilot license.

So much for how difficult it is to become a pilot.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

pelmet wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:50 pm I can't argue with ridiculousness. First you say what I highlighted
digits_ wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:00 am I'd like to claim that a somewhat scientific related degree will serve you far more in aviation than an equivalent amount of ramp experience. Someone who can get a science/engineering/... degree WILL be able to learn whatever you throw at him airplane related and actually understand said systems better. He will also have developed an attitude of seeing things through, helping each other out, team work etc, while learning to think analytically, objectively and logically.
Then I said....
pelmet wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:50 pm Therefore you have guaranteed us that having a degree will make them understand systems better than anyone without a degree.
Then you said...
digits_ wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:00 am
No. Don't put words in my mouth.

You deny what you said and then say pretty much the same thing again in a different way.
My claims:
- A science degree will allow a person to understand systems better in comparison to that same person without a degree
- A person without a degree can still have a better system knowledge than someone with a degree
- A pilot with a science degree should have no problems passing the knowledge part of a CPL/PPC/typerating
- Since a person with a science degree have proven to be capable to study complex systems, it is logical to assume they have more chance of passing/scoring higher in/have a better understanding of/... an easier course, than a goup of random people from the street. Not an exact proof, but it sounds logical to me.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Being any kind of mechanic whether aviation or automotive or any other mechanical job is far more valuable when it comes to systems understanding than a university degree in my opinion.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Being any kind of mechanic whether aviation or automotive or any other mechanical job is far more valuable when it comes to systems understanding than a university degree in my opinion.
I agree, and being a mechanic requires far more knowledge than being a pilot.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

jakeandelwood wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:52 pm Being any kind of mechanic whether aviation or automotive or any other mechanical job is far more valuable when it comes to systems understanding than a university degree in my opinion.
Absolutely

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

C.W.E. wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:33 pm
I agree, and being a mechanic requires far more knowledge than being a pilot.
And no degree is required, yet......

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

digits_ wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:22 pm My claims:
- A science degree will allow a person to understand systems better in comparison to that same person without a degree
I doubt it. There are plenty of mechanics without a degree as was just mentioned who will likely understand the systems better. And there are plenty of people who have the ability to be mechanics who can learn the systems quite well. And our Navajo guy is a perfect example of how a degree doesn't guarantee anything. Of course there are those who are weak on systems as well.

And don't get me wrong. A certain amount of cramming was done to pass the exams and no doubt there are plenty of smart people out there with their science degrees but only fools think that this is much of a measure of what will make a good pilot for your company.

Good judgement, reasonable ability at stick and rudder flying, good short and long term memory, ability to pick up on things fairly quickly are just some of the things required. Then there are all the personality issues which span people with and without degrees.

There is science in aviation(I suppose everything) so a science degree is not completely wothless(depending on the science) but seeing as the majors are now making a degree a requirement, I would suggest to mid-level operators(ie. those that have the type of operation that would lose pilots to the majors) that if you want people that will stick around for a while(or have less options for them to leave), then avoid the degree holders. They will mostly be gone before you know it as the big, shiny jet syndrome affects many. In other words, give the job to someone who will stick around longer who appears to have what you are looking for in a pilot. What company wants a revolving door.

7dirty7
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 7dirty7 »

There sure is a shortage, but it's a shortage of reasonably experienced pilots. 3000+hours of good experience going into strips and conditions that are challenging. Entitled pilots are plentiful... .

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Value of a degree?

Depends on who was teaching. A piece of paper, as I've said in the past, by itself means absolutely nothing, certainly in my non aviation industry-- where top MBA's and Doctoral graduates, make fools of themelves on a regular basis.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Degrees are practically useless for piloting an aircraft.

Sure, an engineering degree might help you understand aircraft systems a bit better, but it’s for the most part wasted. There’s absolutely no need for a pilot to know anything about things like metallurgy or load paths or inductive reactance or smoke point or advanced fluid dynamics. Pilots need to know the what and when, not the how and why. The what and when are how we operate and if you get too far into the how and why it starts displacing essential information and even worse, forming bad and even dangerous habits.

Practical experience is far more valuable in determining a pilots worth. Can you obtain a license? Can you fly a plane? Can you fly it safely? Can you do a type course? Can you pass a PPC? Can you operate efficiently? That’s what is going to keep passengers safe and operations profitable, not some piece of paper which may or may not correlate with a person’s actual practical knowledge.

Return to “General Comments”