704/705 pilots still flying in GA

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

SteveWhite
Rank 0
Rank 0

704/705 pilots still flying in GA

Post by SteveWhite »

How many of you airline guys/gals still fly small airplanes? Do you own or rent or teach? Do you find the two different types of flying environments compliment each other? Always wondered if some still find enjoyment in putting around in small airplanes.
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: 704/705 pilots still flying in GA

Post by Bede »

I do. I have a C150 and a homebuilt float plane that I fly regularly. I am teaching my kids to fly and do the odd freelance instructing work- mostly on flats/skis. I find that both are complementary- I can use skills from both to do the other better.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Floats & skis for fun flying, all else is just WORK
Fortunately it is easy work.

And the entry qualifications are low.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I like to fly model planes. I don't think I would enjoy flying a little G.A. plane- I don't really know what I would do with it. As a result of the way I've spent my career, flying floatplanes and skiplanes and spending time in the wilderness, fishing or at a camp, feels like a bit of a busman's holiday- I'd rather spend my time building things around the house and drinking beer.

However, I'm one of those weirdos who still loves planes and loves flying. I have a job I enjoy on a type of plane that really appeals to me, and I still don't have too many regrets about the way my working life turned out. I suppose if I ever took a management position and ended up being taken off the flight-line I might change my tune, but there remains the question of where would I go if I owned a plane? I really like being near my home on my days off. Maybe it would be fun to have an old biplane with a radial engine, or a twin beech on floats- something I could tinker with. I don't know. I still get plenty of kicks out of the planes I fly at work.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Building a kit plane, not flying it yet. It's a VFR and aerobatic capable plane. Vastly different type of flying than my day job. I'd also love an early model 180 on floats. Again, vastly different than my day job.

There's such a broad range of flying types. Based on this thread title, most of us fly multi-engine IFR for a living. Then there's aerobatics, floats/bush, $100 hamburger, home building, helicopters.

I can't imagine many experienced 704/705 pilots wanting a personal King Air, it would be too much like work (couldn't afford it anyway).

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

I've always wanted to get my swing wing license, maybe someday!

Keep the dirty side down.
FADEC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FADEC »

I flew professionally for at least 23000 hours
Also a couple of retirement gigs which saw me in war zones on a turboprop as well as corporate in North America.
I have also flown over fifty types of GA airplanes as old as 1943; every possible configuration from single seat up.
I love flying; period.
Flying the beautiful airplanes my employer provided was brilliant; a pleasure.
I have an almost sixty year old airplane which gets lots of TLC; a flying restoration in progress.
Most who also fly GA airplanes are excellent Transport Drivers.

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

I feel terrible to say it, but I do not have my own aircraft. My first few years, I always thought that as soon as I had access to a great schedule and salary, that I would be purchasing my own aircraft immediately. Now that I've finally found some comfort, I drive away from the airport with no intention of playing with airplanes in my spare time. We do some unique and challenging flying, so I feel like that itch is well scratched. I go home and have some hobbies that I pursue with great passion, but sadly, airplanes aren't involved. Maybe the road was a little too long and now I need a break from winged things in my spare time. It's kind of sad, but I guess we're all different.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

I love flying GA, for me it’s mainly floats on the side. I have zero desire to fly multi-ifr for fun. Nordo off some random lake though and it’s super peaceful and will make most guys who forgot that flying is fun enjoy it again.
The hardest part about GA flying is convincing the wife that all the chores you needed to get done before you go back on the road can wait.

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

I remember a guy being interviewed on TV while seated inside a glider.
When asked why flying those, he answered « For its simplicity »

He was a Concorde co-pilot at the time....

Return to “General Comments”