Air Canada and Westjet...what a joke

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Air Canada and Westjet...what a joke

Post by AuxBatOn »

Try again.

"So researchers paired several regular pot smokers and nonsmokers and put them in a sealed compartment together for an hour, while one smoked a joint containing a relatively strong strain of marijuana.

The 12 nonsmoking participants were then tasked with peeing into a cup 13 times over the next 34 hours. Their urine was tested for 9-carboxy-THC, the marijuana metabolite commonly measured in standard drug tests.

The results, published this month in the Journal of Analytical Toxicology, gives nonsmokers with weed-using friends reason to breathe easy. The scientists found urine levels of this metabolite surpassed typically detectable levels (50 nanogram per milliliter) in only one experiment participant, and this happened during a brief window four to six hours after exposure.

Using a more sensitive test, however, which is not usually employed in the workplace, scientists could detect blood THC levels above the 20 nanogram per milliliter in several participants in the hours after exposure. But these concentrations dipped below this threshold for all participants within 24 hours, according to the study, conducted by researchers at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and elsewhere."

https://www.newsweek.com/could-second-h ... est-278913
---------- ADS -----------

Going for the deck at corner
Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Great, so only 1 person would have their life destroyed with the least sensitive test and "several" would have it destroyed with the more sensitive one. I wonder if that one that may or may not be used by foreign nations random testing flight crews. Good to hear it's employed non-typically in the work place.

Puffpuffpass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Puffpuffpass »

mbav8r wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:49 pm
CPT.HarshColdReality wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:24 am Well I was going to have a nice spliff with my wife and watch a funny movie before bed and be fresh up for duty. Guess i'll legally slam 18 beers 12 hrs before my duty instead. Hopefully I don't smell like PBRs during my crew briefing. :goodman: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
If you do that you’re not legal either!
For “binge” drinking, you must allow 24 hours prior to reporting for duty, at a absolute minimum, the average person metabolizes 1 ounce or 1 drink per hour. Therefore your example would require 18 hours.
I honestly don’t get how a professional pilot could argue for using marijuana, I’ve never met a successful pothead, maaannn!

Maaaannnn! I am a successful pot head, Maaaan! You think people who smoke pot go around broadcasting it to ignorant know it alls like yourself??? You are delusional!!!
Whats worse Maaaan, me smoking a joint and havin 2-3 beers, nice buzz and a nice sound sleep, or me killing 7-8 Johnny Walkers, waking up 3-4 times throughout the night for a piss, only to wake up again in the morning feeling like I got hit with a bag of hammers???
It takes me a solid day to get over having a few drinks. There is zero hangover or day after effects with weed

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Victory wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:04 am Great, so only 1 person would have their life destroyed with the least sensitive test and "several" would have it destroyed with the more sensitive one. I wonder if that one that may or may not be used by foreign nations random testing flight crews. Good to hear it's employed non-typically in the work place.
I guess you forgot to read the part that says “during a brief window 4-6 hr after exposure. If you’re part of a house party 4-6 hrs before a flight, I think you’re doing it wrong.

Going for the deck at corner
Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

Puffpuffpass wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:24 am Maaaannnn! I am a successful pot head, Maaaan! You think people who smoke pot go around broadcasting it to ignorant know it alls like yourself??? You are delusional!!!
Whats worse Maaaan, me smoking a joint and havin 2-3 beers, nice buzz and a nice sound sleep, or me killing 7-8 Johnny Walkers, waking up 3-4 times throughout the night for a piss, only to wake up again in the morning feeling like I got hit with a bag of hammers???
It takes me a solid day to get over having a few drinks. There is zero hangover or day after effects with weed
Sounds like they should ban alcohol too.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

What happens when a worker under these bans gets a prescription for CBD oil or something from their doctor to threat a legitimate disease?

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Puffpuffpass wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:24 am
mbav8r wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:49 pm
CPT.HarshColdReality wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:24 am Well I was going to have a nice spliff with my wife and watch a funny movie before bed and be fresh up for duty. Guess i'll legally slam 18 beers 12 hrs before my duty instead. Hopefully I don't smell like PBRs during my crew briefing. :goodman: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
If you do that you’re not legal either!
For “binge” drinking, you must allow 24 hours prior to reporting for duty, at a absolute minimum, the average person metabolizes 1 ounce or 1 drink per hour. Therefore your example would require 18 hours.
I honestly don’t get how a professional pilot could argue for using marijuana, I’ve never met a successful pothead, maaannn!

Maaaannnn! I am a successful pot head, Maaaan! You think people who smoke pot go around broadcasting it to ignorant know it alls like yourself??? You are delusional!!!
First of all, my statement is 100% true, I’ve personally never met a successful pothead. I have known several who spend great amounts of time high and unproductive. I have family members who fit the description. I don’t categorize casual smokers as potheads.
It takes me a solid day to get over a hangover also, so guess what, I DON’T DO IT WHEN I HAVE TO WORK.
Based on your posts and alias, you’ve been breaking the law for years, doesn’t sound professional to me. Zero tolerance means none, so you risk your career by smoking pot, you get back to me on how successful you are when you get caught.
If there is zero tolerance and you have a trace amount in your system, not enough to fail a drug test but still detected none the less, do you still fail in T.C’s eyes, to me zero means zero.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

av8ts wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:32 am
Many provinces are treating it the same as alcohol. Only to be consumed in your own home or other “permitted” places. Ontario has definitely dropped the ball on this
Herein lies one problem, why would we need to ban consumption of alcohol in public? Is there a real danger or is just a "moral" danger.

prohibition is over. get over yourselves.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Heliian wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:12 am
av8ts wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:32 am
Many provinces are treating it the same as alcohol. Only to be consumed in your own home or other “permitted” places. Ontario has definitely dropped the ball on this
Herein lies one problem, why would we need to ban consumption of alcohol in public? Is there a real danger or is just a "moral" danger.

prohibition is over. get over yourselves.
The intent is to prevent underage people from being exposed to it, the same reason a lounge has to ensure VLTs are not visible in order to have accompanied minors in them. This whole thing in Ontario allowing pot anywhere smoking cigarettes is legal is extremely bizarre.

Puffpuffpass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Puffpuffpass »

I guess I should clarify I’m not a pot head nor have I smoked in almost a year, but yeah I guess I am guilty of taking a chance from time to time. I like to have an occasional drink as well, but I don’t ever indulge the day before a pairing. I also dont consume alcohol on a layover, other then a social beer for supper if the F/O and I decide to hook up.

What I’m getting at, Alcohol or Weed are both substances where if abused are going to negatively affect your life/health/career etc.

People who are gonna smoke were smoking long before it became legal, I know at least 10 WBC on heavy metal who from time to time like to have a puff . It’s not a bad thing, IMO anyways.

Explain to me why it’s ok for the guy giving me take off/ approach clearance, or controlling a sector with over 20-30 planes in it all carrying anywhere from 10 to 450 pax to smoke weed on his days off, but the guy turning the switches in the plane doing what that controller is telling him to do is forbidden and will be jailed in some circumstances.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

The controller doesn't leave the country, first of all.

tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

Victory wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:30 am The controller doesn't leave the country, first of all.
They also don't work at high altitudes for extended periods of time either.

Puffpuffpass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Puffpuffpass »

Victory wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:30 am The controller doesn't leave the country, first of all.
He controls planes from other countries where it is illegal.

Puffpuffpass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Puffpuffpass »

tsgas wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:09 am
They also don't work at high altitudes for extended periods of time either.
What would altitude affect in a person who smoked weed anymore then a smoker??

Say Again, Over!
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Say Again, Over! »

Actually, NAVCANADA's policy for ATC is that you cannot be at work with THC "in your system". Part of that policy also includes the possibility of testing after an incident or anytime there is justifiable cause. Pity the fool who has something happen on his watch and tests positive....

The long and short of it is that controllers are allowed to smoke pot all they want so long as there is no THC present in their body when they come to work. It's vague enough for them to cover themselves for liability's sake and will not need to be adjusted as testing measures improve. Essentially, right now, since test can detect THC up to a month after usage, there is a 28-30 day ban. If testing can reduce that window to 14 or 7 days, the policy will auto adjust.

Felix
YUL ACC
QB & OW TCU
Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Damn that's pretty smart wording. If WestJet and AC had said that it would have shut down a lot of the arguments.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Say Again, Over! wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:20 am Actually, NAVCANADA's policy for ATC is that you cannot be at work with THC "in your system". Part of that policy also includes the possibility of testing after an incident or anytime there is justifiable cause. Pity the fool who has something happen on his watch and tests positive....

The long and short of it is that controllers are allowed to smoke pot all they want so long as there is no THC present in their body when they come to work. It's vague enough for them to cover themselves for liability's sake and will not need to be adjusted as testing measures improve. Essentially, right now, since test can detect THC up to a month after usage, there is a 28-30 day ban. If testing can reduce that window to 14 or 7 days, the policy will auto adjust.

I respect anyone who can sneak a Mr T quote into their argument.

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

AuxBatOn wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:47 am Try again.

"So researchers paired several regular pot smokers and nonsmokers and put them in a sealed compartment together for an hour, while one smoked a joint containing a relatively strong strain of marijuana.

The 12 nonsmoking participants were then tasked with peeing into a cup 13 times over the next 34 hours. Their urine was tested for 9-carboxy-THC, the marijuana metabolite commonly measured in standard drug tests.

The results, published this month in the Journal of Analytical Toxicology, gives nonsmokers with weed-using friends reason to breathe easy. The scientists found urine levels of this metabolite surpassed typically detectable levels (50 nanogram per milliliter) in only one experiment participant, and this happened during a brief window four to six hours after exposure.

Using a more sensitive test, however, which is not usually employed in the workplace, scientists could detect blood THC levels above the 20 nanogram per milliliter in several participants in the hours after exposure. But these concentrations dipped below this threshold for all participants within 24 hours, according to the study, conducted by researchers at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and elsewhere."

https://www.newsweek.com/could-second-h ... est-278913
Thank you for proving that if you have a runway incursion and have been around second hand pot, you might be jailed for the rest of your life.

They did a test 6 hours after, but they didn't do tests afterwards, who knows if a week later trace amounts show in blood tests.

If there is 0 tolerance 0.00000000000001 is criminal. Remember that, hopefully you're not on the forum in a couple months asking for advice and hoping tc would implement a realistic policy.

seven-oh-nooo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by seven-oh-nooo »

FL007 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:48 pm hoping tc would implement a realistic policy.
Transport's take, if what I heard today is true, is a hell of a lot worse than anyone thought. It's unclear whether it's nationwide or one overzealous region but doctors have been instructed to not renew your medical if you give the wrong answers to their questions.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Say Again, Over! wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:20 am Essentially, right now, since test can detect THC up to a month after usage, there is a 28-30 day ban. If testing can reduce that window to 14 or 7 days, the policy will auto adjust.
Tests will show THC in your system up to 77 days after last consumption, if you are a heavy user.

Return to “General Comments”