Air Canada and Westjet...what a joke

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Air Canada and Westjet...what a joke

Post by Zaibatsu »

Pilots fly impaired all of the time.

You think a few canniboids in the blood after weeks is going to have anywhere near the same effect as acute and chronic stress, fatigue, lack of sleep, messed up circadian rhythms, jet lag, dehydration, excessive caffeine intake, poor diet, lack of exercise, morbid obesity, minor illnesses, over the counter medications, interpersonal problems, blah blah blah blah........... I want to have what you’re smoking.
---------- ADS -----------

Hot Wings
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hot Wings »

trey kule wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:40 pm I am amazed that so many are willing to risk their careers to smoke pot...

From Victory....

“Great, so only 1 person would have their life destroyed with the least sensitive test “

Their life destroyed? And what about all the innocent pax who entrust their lives to a pilot expecting they will not be impaired? But then you really are not that good at reading comprehension, are you?

I am going to post it here and everywhere else when I get the chance.....I hope TC will add a test for THC to the urine sample at medical time, ( or company medical) we really do need to get these “its Ok to smoke pot” out of the cockpit.
Well I hope you completely abstain from alcohol as well, it has contributed to many, many accidents over the years. If there’s such a problem, we should move towards India’s model with alcohol/drug testing before and after every flight. You’ll have to convince the courts that it isn’t encroaching on your rights, but you’re fine with that, right?

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

trey kule wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:40 pm I am amazed that so many are willing to risk their careers to smoke pot...

From Victory....

“Great, so only 1 person would have their life destroyed with the least sensitive test “

Their life destroyed? And what about all the innocent pax who entrust their lives to a pilot expecting they will not be impaired? But then you really are not that good at reading comprehension, are you?

I am going to post it here and everywhere else when I get the chance.....I hope TC will add a test for THC to the urine sample at medical time, ( or company medical) we really do need to get these “its Ok to smoke pot” out of the cockpit.
Ummmm you read that the person failed from second hand smoke didn't you?

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

FL007 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:10 am

From Victory....

Ummmm you read that the person failed from second hand smoke didn't you?
Failed 4-6 hrs after being exposed to massive amounts in closed spaces. Please read my previous post....

Going for the deck at corner
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Now I understand that the legal "impairment" is those numbers you quoted auxbaton, but I think where the confusion is coming in is the "no tolerance" being stated by ac, wj, and most importantly TC. I think the fear is you won't even have to test "impaired" just test any amount at all and you're screwed.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Or....you wont be “screwed” if you do not smoke pot.....

It must be a hell of a high for pilots to risk their career for it.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

If you are going to fly the next day don't stay in a room where there is second hand smoke.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

C.W.E. wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:50 am If you are going to fly the next day don't stay in a room where there is second hand smoke.
You're sorta missing the point

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

C-GGGQ wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:36 am Now I understand that the legal "impairment" is those numbers you quoted auxbaton, but I think where the confusion is coming in is the "no tolerance" being stated by ac, wj, and most importantly TC. I think the fear is you won't even have to test "impaired" just test any amount at all and you're screwed.
Zero tolorance for usage. If you inhaled second hand smoke, you’re not using, just like I don’t consider myself a smoker because I get exposed to second hand cigarette smoke once in a while.

The Hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Hammer »

AuxBatOn wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:24 am
C-GGGQ wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:36 am Now I understand that the legal "impairment" is those numbers you quoted auxbaton, but I think where the confusion is coming in is the "no tolerance" being stated by ac, wj, and most importantly TC. I think the fear is you won't even have to test "impaired" just test any amount at all and you're screwed.
Zero tolorance for usage. If you inhaled second hand smoke, you’re not using, just like I don’t consider myself a smoker because I get exposed to second hand cigarette smoke once in a while.
Your life insurance company doesn't consider you a smoker even if all your family smokes inside your house and you work in a bingo hall. If anyone can find a way to weasel of liability and paying money......

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

[/quote]

Well I hope you completely abstain from alcohol as well, it has contributed to many, many accidents over the years. If there’s such a problem, we should move towards India’s model with alcohol/drug testing before and after every flight. You’ll have to convince the courts that it isn’t encroaching on your rights, but you’re fine with that, right?
[/quote]

India?....... the spiritual home of the CRA scammers that we have been subject to. As if that country is the yardstick we should be measured by. The scammers continued existence is because they pay off authorities to look the other way, I would take with a grain of salt the regulatory functions of that country.

GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK2 »

This has nothing to do at all with CRA scammers and their ilk. This is about THC, Alcohol, TC, AC, WS and what would count as impairment levels, second hand smoke and how to test for it etc. The Indian GCAA requires an alcohol test before AND after each flight. Speaks volumes about the drinking culture there doesn't it?

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I went to go visit my sister and her husband. Never knew either of them as pot smokers. Went for a walk after dinner that night and when I got back, nobody was in the kitchen, but there was a plate of fresh warm brownies. So I ate one! Shortly after I started feeling really weird. When everyone got back, I mentioned something and my sister announced "now that it's legal, I thought I'd make some weed brownies and see what we think". Well I have a pairing tomorrow at noon. How long do I need to book off from work? (Fictional, but highly plausible situation)

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

good question. And the internet is a great place to get advice like this that may end your career. I am guessing you are not flying for either of these companies right now.

Union....SMS.....even your Medical examiner. I would expect these avenues to be helpful. As long as their advice is sought proactively

People get poisoned all the time. Once off, there will be a solution. Might get old quick if many pilots are suddenly exposed to unintentional ingestion of contaminated ( or enhanced, depending on your perspective) brownies, or similar.

Be careful with theoretical questions. The word premeditated gets tossed around in the courts fairly regularly.

Accident speculation:
Liftdump
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Liftdump »

Let that be a lesson. Don’t sneak into your sisters kitchen

PT6onH20
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PT6onH20 »

Was waiting for a shuttle somewhere in Canada last night. The smoking pit was about 15 feet away. Couple of people lit up some marijuana cigarettes. I wouldn't have known until I smelled it, ans by then, I must have caught some second hand smoke. Should I book off for my flight today?

Hot Wings
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hot Wings »

You should probably call your CAME and have your medical revoked. Congratulations, you’re now a loser pothead/stoner/unsuccessful human and you deserve our scorn. Goodbye!

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

PT6on....

After reading your post, I can confidently say you should definitely not fly the next day. Or the one after. Or ever after.
Common sense is a critical quality as a pilot and you obviously lack any of it.

Accident speculation:
mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

People seem to be missing the main point, Zero tolerance means ZERO, not a trace amount, nothing at all!
Test have shown being exposed to second hand pot smoke, you will not “fail” a drug test but those same test still show a trace amount. In T.C’s eyes a trace is still a fail.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

mbav8r wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:57 am People seem to be missing the main point, Zero tolerance means ZERO, not a trace amount, nothing at all!
Test have shown being exposed to second hand pot smoke, you will not “fail” a drug test but those same test still show a trace amount. In T.C’s eyes a trace is still a fail.
Zero tolerance for consumption. Second hand smoke isn’t consumption.

Return to “General Comments”