Reality of starting at 40?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

alittleseasoned
Rank 0
Rank 0

Reality of starting at 40?

Post by alittleseasoned »

Hello All,

Working toward my private license and trying to decide if at 40 it's "worth" getting my CPL.

I'm wondering about 5 and 10 year earning potential and how much my age handicaps me for finding work.

Apologies if it's been asked before (I'm sure it has), but I didn't have much luck with the search and I'm wondering if the much talked about "upcoming shortage" has changed things for someone like me at all in the last 5-10 years.

Thanks in advance for your input.
---------- ADS -----------

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Reality of starting at 40?

Post by Zaibatsu »

The reality is if it’s airlines you’re looking for it probably isn’t worth it this late in the game.

For anything else, it’s a lot better than it ever was provided you’re willing to put up with poor locales and terrible wages to start. Age means you’re less likely to jump to the airlines and is an attractive quality. People say that older individuals are less attractive because they can’t be pushed by management I say BS. Most pushing is self inflicted by inexperienced pilots.

In 5 years you could be in spitting distance of six figures if you got on as an FO with the right northern operator and got upgraded and stayed for a few years. Ten years looks the same unless you want to move back to civilization and take a pay cut starting at the bottom again.

Breaking into the industry is still going to be very difficult. There’s no shortage of 200 hour wonders. The shortage is of 3000 hour ATPLs who will work for shit wages.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7507 »

Zaibatsu wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:34 am The reality is if it’s airlines you’re looking for it probably isn’t worth it this late in the game.

For anything else, it’s a lot better than it ever was provided you’re willing to put up with poor locales and terrible wages to start. Age means you’re less likely to jump to the airlines and is an attractive quality. People say that older individuals are less attractive because they can’t be pushed by management I say BS. Most pushing is self inflicted by inexperienced pilots.

In 5 years you could be in spitting distance of six figures if you got on as an FO with the right northern operator and got upgraded and stayed for a few years. Ten years looks the same unless you want to move back to civilization and take a pay cut starting at the bottom again.

Breaking into the industry is still going to be very difficult. There’s no shortage of 200 hour wonders. The shortage is of 3000 hour ATPLs who will work for shit wages.

I heard that too from other guys, the older you are the harder it is to get employment as a pilot especially with the entry level operators because you can voice your opinion due to your life experiences I assume. So yeah the older you are the harder it is.

hotdog1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hotdog1 »

I started at 30 about 10 years ago doing bush stuff, still do northern bush stuff and have no plan on changing
When I started I actually had employers tell me that they would rather have me at 30 rather than 20 something even though I wasn’t as strong as I was 10 years earlier. Their reason was because they knew I would show up everyday for work.
So I think it depends on the individual employer and what they are looking for. Some want young and strong that will do whatever they are told, some want reliability and life experience

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

I don't think 40 is too late to get into any avenue of aviation, including airlines. The employment outlook for pilots has never been better and you'll have 25 or more years if you want to work that long. There's no way that's not enough time to accomplish whatever you're after.

alittleseasoned
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by alittleseasoned »

Zaibatsu wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:34 am The reality is if it’s airlines you’re looking for it probably isn’t worth it this late in the game.

Thanks for your reply! Any suggestions on who the right northern operators might be (for example), more to have an idea of what (and where) I might be getting myself into than specifically who I should talk to.

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

shimmydampner wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:27 pm I don't think 40 is too late to get into any avenue of aviation, including airlines. The employment outlook for pilots has never been better and you'll have 25 or more years if you want to work that long. There's no way that's not enough time to accomplish whatever you're after.
Starting at 40 and training to CPL will probably make you employable by 42. That is more than enough time to have a fulfilling and likely well paid career. You will probably make AC or Westjet by your late 40s or Early fifties if that's what your after and you'd have an enjoyable stay where you would certainly see the left seat.
If what your after is 777/767/787 skipper for the Canadian airlines that won't happen. To crack the fortunate 500 at AC youd want to be on property by your late 20's or early 30's at the most.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Sharklasers wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:57 pmTo crack the fortunate 500 at AC youd want to be on property by your late 20's or early 30's at the most.
Is that still true given the large number of close-to-retirement people in the fortunate 500? Or are there just that many people on the rising escalator behind them that you'd never get to the top before *they* retire?

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Lots of employers like hiring "older" (not that 40 is old, not to me anyway) . You have lots of life skills and life experience, and you aren't a Millennial.

airliner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by airliner »

I would do it.

There is no time like now.

I am seeing new candidates in the 50 with only 1500 HR.

I also know someone well into his 50's who just started at AC.

Good luck with your choice.

beaverpuq
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by beaverpuq »

Started on floats at 49. Now flying a 3-T for the last 3 years and making very good money. I would say my age at this point, benefits me. Guys are happy if they can keep someone for 5 years and would be thrilled if they had you for ten. There’s a better chance of getting that from me than a younger guy thinking airlines. You still have to be able to do the work though. I can and I love the job.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

No your not too old. Looking back at my career starting in 1995 in flight school to now (23 years), I've had many jobs and am in the left seat at westjet. That's during some really really shit times. Currently the industry is going nuts, and you have 23 years of career to 65 + 2 years of training window. Lots of time. You want it go get it. It's there for the taking of your prepared to do what it takes to get there ( move north, eat sh!t and smile).
That said it's a LOT easier today then when my vintage went through.
If your serious about it and have the $$$ to get it done fast that's what I'd do. Bang it off ASAP. Get your instructor rating the jobs will fall at your feet. Get some time (maybe 700-1000 hours) and the doors will open
Assuming you going to straight into a good fo job.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.

Return to “General Comments”