$55 charge, for processing medical?!

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: $55 charge, for processing medical?!

Post by Beefitarian » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:57 pm

I was not throwing out a guess. They sent out a letter explaining the reason for billing just before it started. Just because that reason no longer exists does not make my statement into a guess.
---------- ADS -----------

Pardon me, may I fly your light single?

bald seagull
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bald seagull » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:58 pm

This $55 fee isn't new.

If you don't like it, quit flying

AirFrame
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by AirFrame » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:38 am

digits_ wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:06 am
You don't get medical stickers. Just a came stamp with an unreadable date handwritten under it.
Ah, right... Last thing I stuck in was a Night Rating, that's what I was thinking of. Brain f*rt.

7ECA
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 7ECA » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:52 pm

You'll get a medical sticker for your document booklet, if something changes in regard to your medical - say a requirement for glasses, etc...

Or, if you get a new ADB but TC hasn't put in your most recent medical - you can request a sticker to show the latest medical.

Honour is a man's gift to himself ~Duke Elegant
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:12 pm

photofly wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:10 pm
What's the fat letter? I am agog!
Oh, it's quite the joy....
Right after we got a new RAMO a number of years ago my CAME asked me one time "Have you gotten a fat letter yet? Cause don't worry if you do..." Apparently the new RAMO started to point out to people when their cockpit tummy was getting larger. At that time I never got one, but a few years later I had a higher blood pressure reading because I went to a new doc, who yelled and lectured me about how he wasn't just signing off everyone like the old guy, then took my blood pressure immediately afterwards. So in conjunction with that, they also noted that I had an elevated BMI (or something like that). I thought it was weird that they express it as a BMI, because I thought you needed to take into consideration someone's build - having said that, yeah, I put on weight - THANKS SO MUCH FOR REMINDING ME!!! Anyway, losing weight is on my To Do list, but while some may drink or smoke when they're stressed, I eat. A bad habit and one that I'm trying to get away from, but then you get your fun days like Halloween, and the day after Halloween when the candy is on sale, and... you know....

SoaringHigh
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SoaringHigh » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:33 am

bald seagull wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:58 pm
This $55 fee isn't new.

What a thoughtless, useless, non-constructive comment.

Quit flying over a $55 fee... ooook pal. I don't even know what you're trying to get at here. I don't like it. It seems many of us don't. Yet I highly doubt any of us will quit flying over it.

You "like" or "enjoy" this fee? Want to cover mine next year?

bald seagull
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bald seagull » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:58 pm

SoaringHigh wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:33 am
bald seagull wrote:
This $55 fee isn't new.

Quit flying over a $55 fee... ooook pal. I don't even know what you're trying to get at here. I don't like it. It seems many of us don't. Yet I highly doubt any of us will quit flying over it.

Ok, Ok.......I'll be more constructive................pay your $55 fee and keep flying!

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:19 pm

No more stickers is right. Haven't got one in 2 medicals. The fee is probably grandfathered. Fat Bonus for all them fat cats at TC eating donuts and having sugar crashes while fatigued pilots line up on 28R-R in SFO....

C.W.E.
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by C.W.E. » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:57 pm

Fat Bonus for all them fat cats at TC eating donuts and having sugar crashes while fatigued pilots line up on 28R-R in SFO....
The cause of the SFO fiasco was due to both pilots being so fatigued neither of them could do a night visual landing at an airport that thousands of pilots do on a regular basis?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:41 pm

28R-R :prayer:

“This isn’t flying, it’s falling. With style.”

MaximumAmazing
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MaximumAmazing » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:13 pm

I’ll add to the fire. TC refused to issue a new type rating until I paid the 55$. I know it’s a stretch, but what if I couldn’t pay the fee and my employment hinged having the type rating. The government is essentially preventing me from working.

AirFrame
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by AirFrame » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:14 pm

MaximumAmazing wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:13 pm
I’ll add to the fire. TC refused to issue a new type rating until I paid the 55$. I know it’s a stretch, but what if I couldn’t pay the fee and my employment hinged having the type rating. The government is essentially preventing me from working.
If you seriously can't come up with $55 to pay that bill when it comes in when your employment depends on it, that's entirely on you.

digits_
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by digits_ » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:07 pm

AirFrame wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:14 pm
MaximumAmazing wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:13 pm
If you seriously can't come up with $55 to pay that bill when it comes in when your employment depends on it, that's entirely on you.
Yeah, what if you can't pay for your medical? What if you can't pay for the glasses you legally have to wear (if applicable)?

Quite an inventive argument.

Transport isn't there to protect you or to get you in an airplane. Transport is there to protect everyone else from you while you are flying said airplane.

AirFrame
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by AirFrame » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:31 am

digits_ wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:07 pm
Yeah, what if you can't pay for your medical? What if you can't pay for the glasses you legally have to wear (if applicable)?
Seriously? How many years did you spend (and how many $1000 did you spend) getting the CPL in the first place? What did you do the first time the fee came up? Ignore it because the wonks on AvCanada said it's a BS tax? How did you get to this point without putting aside a month's cell phone coverage to cover a fee you need for employment, when you were spending hundreds every month on lessons?

If you're really that down-to-the-wire on finances, it shows a serious lack of financial planning and foresight, and a complete disregard for the "bigger picture." Not qualities a prospective employer will be impressed by, I can assure you.

C.W.E.
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by C.W.E. » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:53 am

If you are content to pay $55.00 for no service that is fine.

However some of us worked to hard to be extorted forever by parasites.

digits_
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by digits_ » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:35 am

AirFrame wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:31 am
digits_ wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:07 pm
Seriously? How many years did you spend (and how many $1000 did you spend) getting the CPL in the first place? What did you do the first time the fee came up? Ignore it because the wonks on AvCanada said it's a BS tax? How did you get to this point without putting aside a month's cell phone coverage to cover a fee you need for employment, when you were spending hundreds every month on lessons?

If you're really that down-to-the-wire on finances, it shows a serious lack of financial planning and foresight, and a complete disregard for the "bigger picture." Not qualities a prospective employer will be impressed by, I can assure you.
I was agreeing with you. Looks like I quoted the wrong post.

If people use the "i don't have money" argument for the 55 CAD, they should also use it for the other mandatory medical costs: doctor, glasses etc.

SoaringHigh
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SoaringHigh » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:32 am

bald seagull wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:58 pm
SoaringHigh wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:33 am
bald seagull wrote:
This $55 fee isn't new.

Ok, Ok.......I'll be more constructive................pay your $55 fee and keep flying!

LOL Thank you

TSAM
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TSAM » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:41 pm

Did my medical 2 mths ago and no invoice. Was mentioned they take it off your taxes, but have also heard of collection agency route, is that true?

AirFrame
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by AirFrame » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:39 am

C.W.E. wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:53 am
If you are content to pay $55.00 for no service that is fine.
As others have pointed out, a service is given for the $55, you just don't see it happening in front of your eyes. I understand the confusion.

AirFrame
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by AirFrame » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:41 am

digits_ wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:35 am
I was agreeing with you. Looks like I quoted the wrong post.

If people use the "i don't have money" argument for the 55 CAD, they should also use it for the other mandatory medical costs: doctor, glasses etc.
Ah, reading it again I see what you meant... Sorry about that. :)

C.W.E.
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by C.W.E. » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:32 am

As others have pointed out, a service is given for the $55, you just don't see it happening in front of your eyes. I understand the confusion.
Maybe you could clear up my confusion and tell me what service they provide that is worth $55.00 twice a year.

Thanks.

AirFrame
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by AirFrame » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:46 am

C.W.E. wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:32 am
Maybe you could clear up my confusion and tell me what service they provide that is worth $55.00 twice a year.
If you read back in this thread or search here for on AvCanada for many of the other threads, others have described what happens behind the scenes. Whether you think it's "worth it" or not, isn't relevant. Service is given and charged for, and the rates for same are well known.

Duukar
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Duukar » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:47 pm

I say we all withhold our $55 bucks until transport decides to do its job and provide us with science based duty regulations.

There should be soo much shaming and flaming going on but as usual pilots are great at keeping their heads down to avoid notice.

CruiserNU
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CruiserNU » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:19 pm

Now that I only fly for "recreation", I have a Class 4 Medical. I get a local nurse (medical practitioner" in the north) to sign the form. No charge for that, even when they do an ECG. So I save on that end but still pay the $55 even though I think it's a bit steep. From the second the nurse signs the form my medical is valid. Only got a sticker once.

Return to “General Comments”