I passed my passenger rating!! PAX for LSA in Canada! PAX test video

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

astroguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

I passed my passenger rating!! PAX for LSA in Canada! PAX test video

Post by astroguy »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhZthiUF0ow&t=14s

Well , I receieved my PAX rating!
This video is a long one.... sorry , but I'd wanted to give you a flavour of these tests. What if looks and feels like.
I can now carry a passenger in the Ikarus LSA that I've been flying for the last 70 hours or so. i am so enthused with flying and I want to share it.
My first passenger was my oldest child.... it really gave me alot to think about but I knew if I was to trust myself I had to put it to the highest level..... carrying your own daughter.
The flight was one hour of beautiful sites and emotions.
Thanks Claude from Ottawa who fulfilled my PAX rating flight test, and also to Paul and Zach...... my flight instructors from Ontario Advanced Ultralights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhZthiUF0ow&t=9s
---------- ADS -----------

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: I passed my passenger rating!! PAX for LSA in Canada! PAX test video

Post by Meatservo »

Nice to see posts once in a while from someone who only flies for the love of flying and not for any other reason.

I'm curious: after all the effort (70+ flying hours) you've made to reach this point, what comments can you make with respect to the relative advantages or disadvantages of the way you've learned to fly, as opposed to the more conventional route of a private pilot's license?

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
astroguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by astroguy »

Cool, thank's for this question Meatservo!
I'm 56 years old and I work in the medical field and I will routinely come into contact with people who assume that there is a tomorrow but learn that tomorrow is now in jepordy.
Every year I take a course to learn something ... last year I recieved my HAM radio license for instance.
I've wanted to fly all my life and with kids and money issues it's been a no go. But last year my wife purchased my ground school GA and a discovery flight on a Cessna 172.
I knew that I"d never be able to affort the often underestimated cost of getting my PPL for finacial reasons but I enjoyed the 45 hours of ground school like an excited kid and after flying the Cessna for my first 5 hours it became painfully apparent that I didn't have the money to complete a PPL but at the same time I was so addicted to the takeoff, the landing... the entire thing. I was obsessed.
The average Cdn PPL takes between 65 and 75 hours although only 45 hrs are required. I'd spoken with a few pilots and it seemed unofficially that the school quote price of PPL of $7500 Cdn was on average much closer to $17,000 to $18,000 Cdn to complete the basic PPL.
I knew that this would never work out for a guy who was old enough to know that I wasn't going to make money doing this.... I simply wanted to pilot and land an airplane before someone tells me that I don't have a 'tomorrow' as it were.
I was never going to make money flying so the outlay of that cost was frivolous. But I was hooked. I have a pilot friend who told me to not bother with a PPL because after all that I'd just have a license to do nothing!
Then one day one of my ground school GA instructors mentioned about Ultralights and the local company that had an LSA.
After one discovery flight on the Ikarus I was again .... wholeheartedly enthused because although it was much like a Cesssna 150 but smaller it was just so enjoyable to fly.
The Ultralight CFI and I clicked immediately and the rest was a no brainer. My new CFI had obtained his PPL by age 17 and had well over 1,000 hours..... so I immediately switched out of my unattainable GA toward my new path.
At the end of the day the Ultralight world was still every bit total freedom in the sky and my cost to fly myself into the skies like a god was a very relax $6,500 Cdn all in. Plus the added advantage of being able to get up in the air solo much earlier than GA.... I think I was solo at 13 hours including my Cessna time and although many will say that it is dangerous to get going too fast... I say that some risk is good. Again I work in a field where people wrap themselves in bubble wrap and eat right and excercise , look both ways before crossing the street... never would ride a motorcycle or smoke a cigarette.....and yet... there they are without a 'tomorrow'.
SO here I am.... a low hours pilot who can on any decent weather day text my flight school and the next thing be flying over my house or clipping the clouds (500' below of course) at 3,000 ft.
So the GA ground school was grand and much more involved than the ULPP groundschool. It was 45 hrs for the PPL groundschool and only 20 for the ULPP ground school ... I took both ground schools because I enjoyed this stuff so much.
I actually went to Oshkosh this year with one of my GA groundschool instructors.
Other cool things are...... that I can move up to 25 of my LSA hours towards a Rec Pilot permit with 5 more hours crosstraining.... I think also.... I can move up to 10 hours of my LSA hours into a PPL but that's very unlikely I would.
Anyways all I've ever said since my first Cessna flight....all I want to do is simply take off , cruise and look down at my world, and land the thing , and stay alive.... all solo, no one else in the cockpit. Once I'd done a solo, I considered this all I ever wanted to do and I would never be on my death bed regretting not attempting flight.
But again, here I am still addicted a putting evey penny i have selfeshly into a passion,( I"ve cut of my oldest for cash payouts to university in her 5th year)...Flying is better than a drug.... I am high for two whole days after a flight! I feel so successful and feel that I"ve again learned something and work my brains. What a confidence boost doing what all my co workers think is dangerous, fun, crazy etc.... but they'd never do it!
ULPP in the LSA world is the correct choice for anyone in my situation, age and financial wise.
One other interesting thing is the LSA that I fly is a Comco Ikarus C 42 but it is only considered an ultralight if a few parts of the world including Canada but in the USA and Europe Britain it is not considered an Ultralight .
So basicallly I can fly a 1,200 lb max TOW machine with a 4.5 hr range, side by side seating, fully VFR instrument, full control surfaces and trims, with an 80 hp 4 cycle 4 cyl liquid cooled engine.
It was a great trade off and if I never fly another single minute in my life, I can call it well spent time and money and will never have the regret of not attemping it. Such a huge boost to my little ego it is!
Anyhow...sorry for the long winded response but you got me thinking with your question.
Great and thanks
DaveP

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

astroguy wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:58 pm Cool, thank's for this question Meatservo!
I'm 56 years old and I work in the medical field and I will routinely come into contact with people who assume that there is a tomorrow but learn that tomorrow is now in jepordy.
Every year I take a course to learn something ... last year I recieved my HAM radio license for instance.
I've wanted to fly all my life and with kids and money issues it's been a no go. But last year my wife purchased my ground school GA and a discovery flight on a Cessna 172.
I knew that I"d never be able to affort the often underestimated cost of getting my PPL for finacial reasons but I enjoyed the 45 hours of ground school like an excited kid and after flying the Cessna for my first 5 hours it became painfully apparent that I didn't have the money to complete a PPL but at the same time I was so addicted to the takeoff, the landing... the entire thing. I was obsessed.
The average Cdn PPL takes between 65 and 75 hours although only 45 hrs are required. I'd spoken with a few pilots and it seemed unofficially that the school quote price of PPL of $7500 Cdn was on average much closer to $17,000 to $18,000 Cdn to complete the basic PPL.
I knew that this would never work out for a guy who was old enough to know that I wasn't going to make money doing this.... I simply wanted to pilot and land an airplane before someone tells me that I don't have a 'tomorrow' as it were.
I was never going to make money flying so the outlay of that cost was frivolous. But I was hooked. I have a pilot friend who told me to not bother with a PPL because after all that I'd just have a license to do nothing!
Then one day one of my ground school GA instructors mentioned about Ultralights and the local company that had an LSA.
After one discovery flight on the Ikarus I was again .... wholeheartedly enthused because although it was much like a Cesssna 150 but smaller it was just so enjoyable to fly.
The Ultralight CFI and I clicked immediately and the rest was a no brainer. My new CFI had obtained his PPL by age 17 and had well over 1,000 hours..... so I immediately switched out of my unattainable GA toward my new path.
At the end of the day the Ultralight world was still every bit total freedom in the sky and my cost to fly myself into the skies like a god was a very relax $6,500 Cdn all in. Plus the added advantage of being able to get up in the air solo much earlier than GA.... I think I was solo at 13 hours including my Cessna time and although many will say that it is dangerous to get going too fast... I say that some risk is good. Again I work in a field where people wrap themselves in bubble wrap and eat right and excercise , look both ways before crossing the street... never would ride a motorcycle or smoke a cigarette.....and yet... there they are without a 'tomorrow'.
SO here I am.... a low hours pilot who can on any decent weather day text my flight school and the next thing be flying over my house or clipping the clouds (500' below of course) at 3,000 ft.
So the GA ground school was grand and much more involved than the ULPP groundschool. It was 45 hrs for the PPL groundschool and only 20 for the ULPP ground school ... I took both ground schools because I enjoyed this stuff so much.
I actually went to Oshkosh this year with one of my GA groundschool instructors.
Other cool things are...... that I can move up to 25 of my LSA hours towards a Rec Pilot permit with 5 more hours crosstraining.... I think also.... I can move up to 10 hours of my LSA hours into a PPL but that's very unlikely I would.
Anyways all I've ever said since my first Cessna flight....all I want to do is simply take off , cruise and look down at my world, and land the thing , and stay alive.... all solo, no one else in the cockpit. Once I'd done a solo, I considered this all I ever wanted to do and I would never be on my death bed regretting not attempting flight.
But again, here I am still addicted a putting evey penny i have selfeshly into a passion,( I"ve cut of my oldest for cash payouts to university in her 5th year)...Flying is better than a drug.... I am high for two whole days after a flight! I feel so successful and feel that I"ve again learned something and work my brains. What a confidence boost doing what all my co workers think is dangerous, fun, crazy etc.... but they'd never do it!
ULPP in the LSA world is the correct choice for anyone in my situation, age and financial wise.
One other interesting thing is the LSA that I fly is a Comco Ikarus C 42 but it is only considered an ultralight if a few parts of the world including Canada but in the USA and Europe Britain it is not considered an Ultralight .
So basicallly I can fly a 1,200 lb max TOW machine with a 4.5 hr range, side by side seating, fully VFR instrument, full control surfaces and trims, with an 80 hp 4 cycle 4 cyl liquid cooled engine.
It was a great trade off and if I never fly another single minute in my life, I can call it well spent time and money and will never have the regret of not attemping it. Such a huge boost to my little ego it is!
Anyhow...sorry for the long winded response but you got me thinking with your question.
Great and thanks
DaveP
BRAVO!!! Well done SIR!

Happy and safe flying to you!

TPC

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

That all makes a lot of sense, thanks for taking the time to write your response. I think this forum could use a few more guys who fly for recreation, to remind us why we started flying in the first place.

Your plane is pretty cool too. I watched your video where you did a who,e walkaround, and I was impressed with a lot of the features. In a lot of ways you get much more bang for your buck than buying some old C150 or something.

I don't have much experience with ultralights but once when I was a lot younger one of my friends had a Cessna 120, with fabric wings and an 80 hp engine. He didn't have his license yet so we flew around together sometimes. We went to a grass strip one day and there was an ultralight pilot there. We got to talking and it wound up that he was willing to take me for a ride, or so I thought, in his Quicksilver MX in return for a ride in the 120. We agreed and went for a little hop in the Cessna, then the MX. But he didn't come with me in the MX! He sent me off by myself, and being young and dumb I figured how hard could it be, and actually other than pulling a string to start the engine and using your feet as brakes like Fred Flintstone, it wasn't too much different than any other plane. I did a circuit and landed. Apparently it was pretty obvious that I didn't reduce the power the whole time I was up there, except to come down. I don't think that little engine cared really. I had to swallow twice to get the bugs off my teeth, but it was a pretty cool experience.

Anyway, these new LSA type planes look like a real viable "middle ground" between that flying lawn-chair and a boring ol'Cessna. Looks like just the ticket for some low-stress flying adventure.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
CruiserNU
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CruiserNU »

Delete

Last edited by CruiserNU on Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CruiserNU
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CruiserNU »

I started out taking PPL training in Victoria in the 80's but never finished it up due to work commitments in the north. At the age of 54 I went back to flying as I then had no car payments, no mortgage, no kids still at home - all that stuff. I saw no point in getting any licence unless I could afford my own airplane and at that point in my life I could do so. At 54 it was not realistic to think I would ever make a career out of flying. I had no desire to fly at night or in anything other that VMC. A six-place aircraft would be out of my price range but I did need a float rating, so a RPP was a good fit for me. Training was half the price of a PPL.

I owned a Challenger ultralight since 2002 (amphib floats, tundra tires and wheel-skis) and my current airplane since 2010. The ultralight was great fun for local flights (though I did fly it across Canada in 2006) but didn't have enough space onboard for the missions I currently fly. It was sold in 2018.

So now I fly a homebuilt PA-12/18 clone on floats and wheel-skis. I do 95-percent of my own maintenance (which, incidentally I enjoy almost as much as flying). Costs are minimal and I get to fly over some of the greatest floatplane/ski-plane country in Canada.

Return to “General Comments”