Stalls into a headwind or Tailwind

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

astroguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Stalls into a headwind or Tailwind

Post by astroguy »

Old Dog Flying wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:58 am Get another instructor! The airplane does not know or care which way the win is blowing when doing stalls. It all depends on your entry technique.

After 40 years of instructing, I thought that I had heard it all. Now tell me, is there Yaw in turn? Or only in a LSA
Sorry for the question there old dog.... I agree with you .... this has nothing to do with my instructor... it is my personal low hours observation.
---------- ADS -----------

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

If you climb above a solid overcast and do stalls in various headings all around the 360 degrees of the compass will you be able to determine wind direction by reference to the cloud base below you?

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

Dave" No need o feel sorry...There are no dumb questions...but there are plenty of dumb answers.

....NO!

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

....NO!
Of course you and I know that is a basic of the subject of wind ( air movement over the surface )

Another example of fluid movement would be rowing a boat on a wide river where you can not see any land, would you be able to tell the direction and speed of the river flow by how your boat reacts to the direction you are rowing?

Do flight instructors use these basic examples to explain air movement over the surface....

...and of course there is turbulence caused by movement of the air over hills, mountains.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

It’s called illusions created by drift and it’s been in every ppl syllabus since forever.

Next?

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

It’s called illusions created by drift and it’s been in every ppl syllabus since forever.
However in my examples what visual clues are there to cause an illusion?

Return to “General Comments”