Stay in your lane, next time.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Stay in your lane, next time.

Post by rookiepilot »

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/are ... lta-flight

....Maybe a FA, that is someone with 6 weeks training, I believe, shouldn't assume someone who's black, didn't actually complete at least 6 years of professional training to be a doctor?

Have a nephew in med school. It's a endurance torture chamber test. Endless.

I don't get it. Do your job, let other pros do theirs.

Doctors don't even get paid for helping someone on a flight.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by rookiepilot on Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Stay in your lane, next time.

Post by Rudy »

People are always asking me if I'm really the pilot.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

rookiepilot wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:34 pm
Most airlines give a voucher for professionals assisting a passenger during a medical emergency. At mine it's $200 if I recall.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

I'm from Newfoundland. We have reverse racism for people of colour. If you are brown or black everyone assumes you're a doctor.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Bede wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:42 pm
Most airlines give a voucher for professionals assisting a passenger during a medical emergency. At mine it's $200 if I recall.
Hmmmm. I wasn't aware there was anything. Now that you've informed me, Bede:

On of my more recent trips, a passenger in front of me became very sick. A doctor took charge and took care of her, monitoring for several hours.

Curious if a $200 "voucher" -- would be adequate for you, as a professional, to supervise a flight, for several hours.

Why shouldn't a doctor be able to bill His / Her hourly rate to an airline? In cash.

Skyhunter
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Skyhunter »

rookiepilot wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:10 pm
Bede wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:42 pm
Hmmmm. I wasn't aware there was anything. Now that you've informed me, Bede:

On of my more recent trips, a passenger in front of me became very sick. A doctor took charge and took care of her, monitoring for several hours.

Curious if a $200 "voucher" -- would be adequate for you, as a professional, to supervise a flight, for several hours.

Why shouldn't a doctor be able to bill His / Her hourly rate to an airline? In cash.

If I was on a flight of a different company and the pilots became incapacitated and I took over and landed I would not expect compensation! Just a thank you. Damn our society that thinks I should be paid for everything you do. An emergency situation and you have a skill that can help, be a good citizen and help.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Skyhunter wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:41 pm
If I was on a flight of a different company and the pilots became incapacitated and I took over and landed I would not expect compensation! Just a thank you.
I suspect from reading the article, that is all the lady doctor wanted as well. To be treated with respect, not suspicion she was a real doctor. Compensation was never mentioned.

Those FA's should be fired. That's how behaviour is changed. Make examples.

What is wrong in our society is racism and even simple disrespect is widely tolerated , rudeness and attitude is now considered just fine from entry level employees. Or anyone.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Those FA's should be fired.
What a great way to buy a legal action for wrongful dismissal. What a lovely employer you'd be, and, wow, you'd really get the best from your staff that way. The ones you haven't yet sacked, I mean. I'm sure their loyalty to you and to the company would rise to new heights under your regime.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:49 pm
Skyhunter wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:41 pm
If I was on a flight of a different company and the pilots became incapacitated and I took over and landed I would not expect compensation! Just a thank you.
I suspect from reading the article, that is all the lady doctor wanted as well. To be treated with respect, not suspicion she was a real doctor. Compensation was never mentioned.

Those FA's should be fired. That's how behaviour is changed. Make examples.

What is wrong in our society is racism and even simple disrespect is widely tolerated , rudeness and attitude is now considered just fine from entry level employees. Or anyone.

Maybe we could fire anyone who hires based on skin colour or supports affirmative action laws mandating it. Disgusting racists.

Rooster69
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rooster69 »

“I know I don’t look the part,” Stanford, 39, said in an interview Thursday. “So I just carry it with my driver’s license at all times.”

Too bad there wasn't a photo of the doctor. Maybe she looks like a hippie or a cat lady. More to the story than the FAs being racist.

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

Rooster69 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:01 am “I know I don’t look the part,” Stanford, 39, said in an interview Thursday. “So I just carry it with my driver’s license at all times.”

Too bad there wasn't a photo of the doctor. Maybe she looks like a hippie or a cat lady. More to the story than the FAs being racist.
http://fortune.com/2018/11/02/delta-doc ... profiling/

Nope.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Rooster69 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:01 am More to the story than the FAs being racist.
Of course.

I'm sure it's just another random story of a passenger whining to get attention.
After all they all do that. They all lie. LOL.

Let's summarize. This is a doctor, a professional, selflessly volunteering to help another sick passenger on a flight, who then appears to be given a very hard time by powertripping FA's, even after showing her credentials, which isn't required.

What if it was a life and death situation? Maybe the doctor should step aside. "Here FA's. Take over".

I'm the only one who sees a problem with that. Got it, carry on.

Certainly we can't discipline anyone in this snowflake world we live in.

"A Delta spokesperson told Fortune that the airline thanked Dr. Stanford for her assistance and apologized for “any misunderstanding that may have occurred during her exchange with the in-flight crew.”

Misunderstanding, Delta? So the doctor "misunderstood" what happened. Got it.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

There are a million miles between discipline and training, and dismissal.

Voltaire wrote "Dans ce pays-ci, il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiral pour encourager les autres." But that was deliberate irony.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:59 am
Misunderstanding, Delta? So the doctor "misunderstood" what happened. Got it.
"the airline was working with Delta to make sure its employees apply such policies."

Is Dr. Stanford's misunderstanding the only way to interpret that comment? Could the Republic spokesman have meant that the employees misunderstood the policy?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:27 am There are a million miles between discipline and training, and dismissal.
Sigh. Let me try to put this in aviation terms.

If I deliberately interfere with the duties of a flight crew, I'd be putting lives at risk. I'd get in serious trouble, potentially. Rightfully.

Here we have already trained FA's , deliberately interfering with the professional duties of a medical doctor. In a different situation -- perhaps the next time for those FA's -- it could be a life threatening situation.

This isn't simply a snarky word to a random passenger. That's why I brought it up.

They've already been trained. Clearly chose to ignore it and go off on a power trip that might have endangered that passenger or a future passenger. They even assumed her licence was fake. Challenged her again.

That's not a firing Offense?
What IS in your world?

Every decision sends a message.

If Republic doesn't assertively deal with the situation, they are sending a message that anarchy reigns, and an FA with a total of 6 weeks training can overrule a doctor with 6 years training In a life threatening situation.

I wouldn't have that at my company. Gone. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

First of all, if these FAs really accused her of not being a doctor and flashing false credentials than that is BS and they should be disciplined...

But I think this is probably slightly ignorant, clueless FAs, and an innocent misunderstanding... and as is the trend these days we love to get behind the minority female victim, and blame airline employees.

Dr. "I'm a doctor, this is my license"
FA1 "Okay"
... walks to the front...

FA1 "There's a sick passenger, a lady is helping her"
FA2 "Is she a doctor?"
FA1 "I think so... She showed me a piece of paper"
FA2 " I better check, procedure says that it has to be a medical professional if a passenger administers care, and I'll need it for my paperwork"
... walks to the seat....

FA2 "Hi just confirming if everything is okay... are you a doctor?"
Dr. "I'm a doctor, this is my license"
FA2 (who has never seen a Dr. license before, didn't even know there was such thing, possibly impressed) "Oh okay... this is YOUR license"
FA2 (needing the information for paperwork) "Are you a head doctor (maybe psychologist) or are you an MD?"

Dr. offended, goes straight to press with the victim card

Seems innocent enough to me... Of course this doctors place in the modern halls of academia likely make her sensitive to any hint of non-PC treatment or bias, she flashes her license first and lays accusations later... a 3 minute exchange results in hard feelings and national news and anybody who sticks up for themselves or denies the allegations is victim blaming, so Delta, and everyone involved takes their lumps and lives for another day...

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

From another article:
The incident resembles one Delta faced in 2016, when the airline questioned the credentials of Tamika Cross, an OB/GYN.

About two weeks before this flight, Stanford had actually interviewed Cross at an event about gender bias in medicine among physicians and patients. Bias in medicine is also a topic Stanford knows well through her work specializing in patients with obesity.
Social Justice in medicine is an issue she is already out in front of...

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

FAs are responsible for the safety and security of the passengers on the aircraft. They are doing their professional duty by asking questions and vetting people. It can go all the way to physically restraining people if they feel it is necessary for the safety of the aircraft and those on board.

We deal with questions and intrusions into our personal life all of the time in aviation. Can I see your RAIC pass? Can you empty your pockets? Are you okay to fly this last leg? 100 feet below.

Because of the dynamic nature of aviation, rarely is one fully prepared for each individual circumstance and perhaps tact or even bias--of any kind (maybe it was because she was a woman) shows through.

Of course, I don't think a white male doctor could have turned this into a national news story had he been asked the same questions. He would have been annoyed and gone on with his business, maybe wrote a scathing review.

I also don't think any doctors are hurting financially. It's almost criminal what some doctors bill for a 15 minute diagnostic which is often vague or even wrong and with a prescription rather than any solid medical advice.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

What if next time an actual looney tick claims he is a doctor and starts shoving a pen in someone's trachea because she's having a panic attack and he saw it on tv?

If that looney tick happens to be properly dressed (maybe in a white coat with a travel size stethoscope?) and they don't ask for ID, or what if that idiot happens to be black and people are afraid to ask for ID?

I get that it must be frustrating if a doctor wants to help for free and gets questioned every step of the way. But there are so many more reasons why they could have asked for ID, or why the FA didn't believe her colleague or the doctor right away.

Since the example of the pilot saving the plane comes up, what if an avid flight simmer claims he is a pilot and is confident he can land the plane? If someone has doubt, a little question or ID verification is not that unfair. Annoying, but not unfair.

The doctor says she is aware she didn't look the part. Then what is the problem, really? Maybe she was wearing a pair of old dirty sweatpants with 'Juicy' on the back, combined with a vomit covered blouse because her baby was sick all night, which is also the reason she could have pieces of egg and toast in her hair, which is really starting to smell by now.

Or maybe it was because she was black and a woman. You just don't know. But a knee jerk reaction to fire an FA or prohibit staff from asking for ID, goes a bit too far....

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I’d say about 20% of the physicians I know are white, if that. Maybe it’s a different story in the US?

It’s our company policy that we must verify ID before allowing someone to provide medical assistance or access our our emergency med kit. I’m sure other airlines are the same. I’m sure they were just following rules, but maybe doing a poor job of it, hard to say with only one side of the story.

Return to “General Comments”