Taxiways and Snowbanks

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Spandau
Rank 3
Rank 3

Taxiways and Snowbanks

Post by Spandau »

Since it's rapidly becoming that time of year, here's a question I'm looking for a reference for:

You are taxiing down a taxiway at a controlled, major airport. There was a heavy snowstorm the previous day and plowing has been going on continuously. You are on the centerline of the taxiway and hit a snowbank with your wingtip and your wingtip gets ripped off. There are no taxiway restrictions or Notams in play at all. Who's at fault and where does it specify it?
---------- ADS -----------

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Taxiways and Snowbanks

Post by goingnowherefast »

I've wondered that for a while. At the airports I fly to, it's more likely to be the props hitting the wind rows. A notam will say "rwy xx/yy snow bank 5 ft inside east and west runway edges", then no mention of the taxiways at all. There's been a couple times where I was nearly stuck on the runway because the taxiways were just barely wide enough. I'm talking inches, where you taxi 0.1kts and all the while consider just shutting down.

I consider more the moral solution and personally not wanting to damage the aircraft. I could also see some dark snowy night where you simply don't see the snow bank, or depth perception is off and it looks okay.

Oldguystrtn2fly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oldguystrtn2fly »

I think there is an advisory circular or something like that stating what slope from runways and taxi ways must be kept clear. I think it depends on the length of runway determines some of this criteria. I would imagine that if you run into something with your wing, you are probably responsible for your own damage, but that’s why we have lawsuits I guess...

Peregrine
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Peregrine »

Spandau wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:17 am ....hit a snowbank with your wingtip and your wingtip gets ripped off.
How freaking fast are you taxiing? :roll:

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

The PIC....but I don't know where to find the info.

Return to “General Comments”